Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2791354 times)

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #1610 on: 20 January 2015, 17:13 »
Just ordered these to tie me over whilst my OEM Santiago's are sent off to be refurbed. 

I'm not a big fan of replica style alloys but I can't afford to have the car off the road and I got them at a pretty decent price.  They're only going to be temporary until my Santiagos come back.

Based on the "Cadiz" these are 19" which are rare and finished in a GUNMETAL/Polish finish as opposed to Gloss Black/Polish finish.

Pretty happy with them overall.

Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline ffrank

• Here all the time
« Reply #1611 on: 20 January 2015, 18:17 »
seems i may have a courtesy R next week for a few days in black which should confuse the neighbours confused whilst mine is away  :grin:
They'll probably just think you are replacing the polo with a third R. "He's bought another, darling!" :D

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1612 on: 20 January 2015, 18:31 »
After getting another email from those toothless Tigers that are "VW Ensurance" stating that Aviva are going to give their clients another week to respond to our "allegation" of them clattering my GTD seven and a half weeks ago (they never reported the incident, nor have responded to 3 letters asking for their side of the story) - I decided to get onto Aviva and kick their arses myself.

They're now willing to appraise the case based on my photos taken at the scene that they've not had (VW Ensurance assured me they'd had it - I suppose either side could be lying to cover it's arse). Might actually get the ball rolling now. I was passed around on the phone no less than 7 times, and forwarded to a London plumbers merchant in error (similar numbers apparently, happens all the time). They do the call centre thing backwards at Aviva too it seems. Usually you get the Indian call centre at the start and then speak to someone English when things get complicated, with Aviva it's the other thing round. Gets a bit complicated when you're bollocking an insurance company that isn't your own.

Still waiting on a new and undamaged tailgate currently. At this rate it'll be traded in for the R before it gets fixed.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1613 on: 21 January 2015, 05:17 »
Just ordered these to tie me over whilst my OEM Santiago's are sent off to be refurbed. 

I'm not a big fan of replica style alloys but I can't afford to have the car off the road and I got them at a pretty decent price.  They're only going to be temporary until my Santiagos come back.

Based on the "Cadiz" these are 19" which are rare and finished in a GUNMETAL/Polish finish as opposed to Gloss Black/Polish finish.

Pretty happy with them overall.

Those look interesting.
Tell us more!

Where are they made? eBay or other retailer?
I've not seen reps in that colour before.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Gung-Ho

• Here all the time
« Reply #1614 on: 21 January 2015, 09:34 »
Watcha Mate!

Funny enough I found them listed on eBay by pure chance... Plenty of replica 18" "Cadiz" style alloys for sale, but not many in the 19" size which was what I was after.  As they were only listed for 48Hrs I jumped at the chance and ordered a set for £490 from a company called Sheldons in Manchester.

However, they were originally advertised in the Gloss Black/ Polish finish like the OEM, but after placing my order I got a call from Sheldons to say that they only had the "Full" Gloss Black finish in stock or this "New" Gunmetal/ Polish finish.  Ideally I would have preferred my original choice but hey, the Gunmetal/ Polish look just as good (if not better, now I've seen them in the flesh).

Haven't weighed them as yet, but to be honest there isn't that much difference between my 19" Santiago's.

I'm probably going to get flamed for buying Rep's, but like I said I need a temporary set to tie me over.  However I must say the quality & overall finish is exceptional!

No idea where they are made but I expect like most reps they are made somewhere in China? Could be wrong... All I know is that they are manufactured by a company called "Stuttgart".

Although these 19" Cadiz style alloys from Sheldons are no longer listed on eBay I have seen two other companies advertise them recently.  Not sure what they are like though

Current Toys: Mk7 Golf R 5dr 'Manual', Lapiz Blue, 18" Cadiz Alloys... Caterham R300 Superlight... new Mazda MX5 2.0 SE-L (ND)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1615 on: 21 January 2015, 15:50 »
Watcha Mate!

Funny enough I found them listed on eBay by pure chance... Plenty of replica 18" "Cadiz" style alloys for sale, but not many in the 19" size which was what I was after.  As they were only listed for 48Hrs I jumped at the chance and ordered a set for £490 from a company called Sheldons in Manchester.

However, they were originally advertised in the Gloss Black/ Polish finish like the OEM, but after placing my order I got a call from Sheldons to say that they only had the "Full" Gloss Black finish in stock or this "New" Gunmetal/ Polish finish.  Ideally I would have preferred my original choice but hey, the Gunmetal/ Polish look just as good (if not better, now I've seen them in the flesh).

Haven't weighed them as yet, but to be honest there isn't that much difference between my 19" Santiago's.

I'm probably going to get flamed for buying Rep's, but like I said I need a temporary set to tie me over.  However I must say the quality & overall finish is exceptional!

No idea where they are made but I expect like most reps they are made somewhere in China? Could be wrong... All I know is that they are manufactured by a company called "Stuttgart".

Although these 19" Cadiz style alloys from Sheldons are no longer listed on eBay I have seen two other companies advertise them recently.  Not sure what they are like though

I think they look really good in that colour.
Interesting!
It will probably say somewhere on the wheel where it's made but at the end of the day you get good reps and you get bad ones so it's luck of the draw and you might find (hopefully) you have no problems with them.
Don't forget to post up some nice pics when they're on the car as I think they'll look really good.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline JB GTI

• I live here
« Reply #1616 on: 22 January 2015, 10:09 »
Well, my alloy footrest turned up from the supplier in China and as a bonus, no import it VAT payable (result).

I was fearing it would look a piece of junk but to be honest, it's really well designed and built and looks very OEM with good quality plastics and metal.

I'll fit it later today and post up some pictures etc to see how well it fit etc.

Fingers crossed. I have ordered one of these too !!  :shocked:
Now Gone: 3dr GTI Carbon Grey Performance Pack Dynaudio
Discover Nav Park Assist Rear Camera
Picked Up: 15th March 2014

Now Gone 3dr Golf R Lapiz Blue, DSG, Dynaudio, 19" Pretoria's, Discover Nav, Keyless, Rear View Camera
Picked Up: 1st March 2015

Now Gone Too: Mk7.5 Golf GTi Performance 5dr Indium Grey DSG Dynaudio 19” Brescia Alloys Vienna Leather Keyless Entry/Start Panoramic Roof 90% Tints Park Assist Rear View Camera Voice Activation Dynamic Lane Assist/DLA

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #1617 on: 25 January 2015, 09:49 »
Had my gtd to the dealer yesterday to investigate noisy suspension. Turns out other dealer in the same network has managed to damage the rubber gaiters that should be fitted over the shock absorber at the top. Both rubber gaitors were lose and hanging but tech yesterday has managed to refit them properly. He's also ordered the newer replacement rear shocks that are still on back order. I won't be going back to my local dealer again. Also saw a lapis blue r on the forecourt for sale.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #1618 on: 25 January 2015, 10:35 »
Let  me guess Pulman Sunderland is the local one  :sad:
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #1619 on: 25 January 2015, 15:31 »
Had my gtd to the dealer yesterday to investigate noisy suspension. Turns out other dealer in the same network has managed to damage the rubber gaiters that should be fitted over the shock absorber at the top. Both rubber gaitors were lose and hanging but tech yesterday has managed to refit them properly. He's also ordered the newer replacement rear shocks that are still on back order. I won't be going back to my local dealer again. Also saw a lapis blue r on the forecourt for sale.

Chris - at least they didn't nip off in your car for a 28 mile/20mpg joyride in your GTD on their lunchbreak (Benfield Scotswood Road), or put lots of small paint chips on your wing and crudely splodge clear lacquer on while it was in for warranty work (Benfield Silverlink). I've had an atrocious repair on my MK5 (Benfield Railway street). Where else would you take it? Pulman Durham has the dreaded automatic car wash, if someone puts your car though there after warranty work (even if you expressly ask them not to and the technician wasn't told), you might regret it.

Locally, i've had my best warranty experiences at Pulman Sunderland, when years ago they got me some new wheels following whiteworm when Benfield wouldn't for fear of not getting reimbursed, but they did leave a set of transport pucks in.  :rolleyes: I'm happy to stick with Sunderland for my work, Benfield have burnt their bridges with me.

You might end up having to drive all the way down to Middlesbrough/Stockton for a Lookers dealership.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.