Author Topic: Golf GTI family to be expanded with GTD diesel, GTI Plus and R42 models  (Read 19250 times)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
Why does anybody ever read those aweful, shyte, full of crap yankie sites.  :sick:

Anyone who seriously believes that a Golf "R42" will ever appear needs to wake up, and wipe away the ricicles and semi-skimmed from their sleepy eyes!  :rolleyes:

And as for the GTD - well that already exists - it is called the Golf GT Sport TDI, and oddly enough, it has 170PS and a DSG!  :rolleyes:

Finally, just for the record, and to clarify those tiny american minds, the R32 does NOT have a "V6" engine.  It actually has a "VR6" engine, which is very different.  They also sound very different too!  :wink:
« Last Edit: 29 September 2008, 10:21 by Teutonic_Tamer »
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline Greenouse

• I live here
Having spent some time with VW last week the word is to hang on to your R32 as it's likely to be the last 6 cylinder Golf!

So I can only concur with Mr T_T!

Offline Hurdy

• Serious forum addict
2.5TT in a GTI with 4WD and 350bhp and I'd cancel not bother ordering the GT-R. :cool:
Seat Leon Cupra Black 290 DSG

Offline Turkish

• Just got here
New info from Autocar Mag: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/235190/

Autocar has learned that Volkswagen is planning to launch three all-new performance VW Golf variants within the next three years.

A performance diesel Golf – dubbed the GTD - is scheduled for launch in the spring of 2009. It will use the VW Group’s latest twin-turbocharged 2.0-litre TDI engine, offering in excess of 200bhp and 260lb ft torque.

Find out all the details of the new Mk6 Golf GTi

VW bosses have wanted to deliver a diesel-engined GTI since the Mark 5 went on sale in 2003. The combination of stringent European CO2 laws, the current economic climate and the arrival of the latest twin-turbo TDI technology means that the VW Golf GTD is now a certainty.

VW is also looking at a Golf GTI ‘plus’ model. This harder-core version of the GTI will use a tuned version of the standard car’s 2.0-litre TSI engine to deliver up to 270bhp. It will also have a seven-speed DSG gearbox and a Haldex clutch providing non-permanent four-wheel-drive. This GTI ‘plus’ will replace the current-generation R32, although it also looks set to come close to entering the territory already occupied by sister company Audi’s S3.

The final new performance Golf is likely to be another ‘R’ variant, possibly the ‘R42’, which is pencilled in for a 2010 launch. This will use a 2.5-litre turbocharged five-cylinder engine that will be shared with the forthcoming Audi TT RS, giving the Golf around 350bhp along with competitive fuel economy and CO2 figures.

According to Volkswagen insiders the spate of new high performance Golfs has been brought about by an influx of Audi engineers into Volkswagen, and a move to bring about more component sharing between the two companies.

---

Have been waiting for news on the GTD, always thought that if they did make such a car that it would have the new rumoured Twin Turbo diesel unit. Although I am sure it will prbably have nearer 300 lbft.

Offline RedRobin

• Forum addict
  • BIALI Motorsport - Chief Horn Blower!

^If you feel you can believe the motoring magazines :undecided:
:cool: FACEFOOK: https://www.facebook.com/robin.procter.50?ref=tn_tnmn

Throbbin' Red VeeDub GTI Mk5 - DSG, Custom Milltek TBE, Forge Twintake, KW-V3 + Eibach ARBs, AP Racing BigBrake kit, Quaife ATB diff, Revo2

Offline bobbarley

• Serious forum addict
  • I'm kind of a big deal...
350bhp model?  I think we can keep dreaming :)

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
2.5TT in a GTI with 4WD and 350bhp and I'd cancel not bother ordering the GT-R. :cool:

But we all know that just won't happen!  :rolleyes:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
New info from Autocar Mag: http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/235190/

snippage . . . .

the arrival of the latest twin-turbo TDI technology means that the VW Golf GTD is now a certainty.

So how the heck will they get a proper 60 or 90 degree V6 under the bonnet of a Golf????  They can't, they won't, and it is not going to happen.  That is utterly typical of the crap from Autocar!  :rolleyes:

And where is this latest twin turbo TDI engine currently being used?

VW is also looking at a Golf GTI ‘plus’ model. This harder-core version of the GTI will use a tuned version of the standard car’s 2.0-litre TSI engine to deliver up to 270bhp. It will also have a seven-speed DSG gearbox and a Haldex clutch providing non-permanent four-wheel-drive. This GTI ‘plus’ will replace the current-generation R32, although it also looks set to come close to entering the territory already occupied by sister company Audi’s S3.

Again, don't think so.  The seven speed DSG has some serious limitiations in torque, and was specifically designed for much lower outputs than our current GTI.

The final new performance Golf is likely to be another ‘R’ variant, possibly the ‘R42’, which is pencilled in for a 2010 launch. This will use a 2.5-litre turbocharged five-cylinder engine that will be shared with the forthcoming Audi TT RS, giving the Golf around 350bhp along with competitive fuel economy and CO2 figures.

Bacon airlines . . . .

According to Volkswagen insiders the spate of new high performance Golfs has been brought about by an influx of Audi engineers into Volkswagen, and a move to bring about more component sharing between the two companies.

Now Autocar really are talking out their ar$es.  Major components are already fully shared between all mainstream marques of Volkswagen group.  That includes platforms (chassis or floorpans), engines, transmissions, subframes, suspension systems, braking systems, and even the Recaro seats and some switchgear.  The only real differences are the actual styling of the body, the quality of interior plastics, and the "consumer" electronics (different ESP modules, different audio and navigation, and a different convenience module).

---
Have been waiting for news on the GTD, always thought that if they did make such a car that it would have the new rumoured Twin Turbo diesel unit. Although I am sure it will prbably have nearer 300 lbft.

A Golf will never have space for a twin turbo, so don't loose sleep over the never ending wait!  :wink:  :smiley:
-----

I feel like a homo

Offline Turkish

• Just got here

---

A Golf will never have space for a twin turbo, so don't loose sleep over the never ending wait!  :wink:  :smiley:
[/quote]

There has been rumours about the Twin Turbo diesel engine for a long time. It is due to be released in the Audi's first, as usual. Lots of information around the net on it. Merc's twin turbo 2.1 is due out shortly, Fiat have theirs already and I can't see Audi/VW being the only one's without a small capacity twin turbo unit.

Offline neg

• I live here
He was talking about the TT petrol engine, there will be a TT TDI at some point - think its in the new passat is it not...??