Author Topic: Dreaded white corrosion on diamond alloys  (Read 1295 times)

Offline Ratski

• Not said much yet
Dreaded white corrosion on diamond alloys
« on: 14 July 2021, 17:42 »
Hi
I have nogaro golf gtd alloys. They are starting to show a bit white corrosion that just looks dreadful.
They are only 5 years old but suppose starting to show their age.
Is there any preferred method for removing this corrosion that I can do at home DIY?
Thanks

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
Re: Dreaded white corrosion on diamond alloys
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2021, 18:07 »
If they’ve lasted five years before needing a refurb, then they’ve done well. It’s not unusual for white worm to set in when diamond cut alloys are between 2-3 years old.

Some do attempt DIY repairs to remove white worm corrosion - there are various videos on YouTube. I don’t know what the longevity or durability of a DIY refurb would be though or how easy it would be to get a professional looking result, and it’s unlikely you’d be able to replicate the feint concentric circle pattern (a bit like the surface of a CD) you’d get with a factory refurb from the CNC lathe re-cutting the diamond cut face.

If it was me and if I wanted to keep the diamond cut finish (I personally wouldn’t), I’d go for a professional refurb by a good, reputable alloy wheel refurb company. As for the cost; you’re probably looking at around £90 + VAT per wheel. Some companies offer a discount if they’re doing all four wheels.

IMHO the only sure fire way to prevent white worm coming back is to get the wheels refurbished in a painted / powder coated finish which is much more durable than a diamond cut finish. I’ve seen pictures of a mk7  Golf GTD with the diamond cut Nogaro alloys refurbished in a powder coated finish and I thought the looked very good. I’ll try and find the discussion thread an add a link to this post.

Edit; here’s the link I referred to above. There’s a picture of a Tornado Red mk7 GTD in post #12 of the discussion thread with the Nogaro alloys refurbished in a gunmetal / anthracite powder coated finish.

https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/index.php?threads/new-gtd-owner-from-northern-ireland.345425/
« Last Edit: 14 July 2021, 18:13 by SRGTD »
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline joe6

• I live here
Re: Dreaded white corrosion on diamond alloys
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2021, 21:55 »
I like the diamond cut alloys. If it is just one or even 2 then would go for a refurb. I have them on my mk6 and they have lasted 11 years. Had to refurb one after curbing but that has lasted 5 years with no probs.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.