Author Topic: Urano grey??  (Read 3927 times)

Offline matthewh

• Not said much yet
Re: Urano grey??
« Reply #10 on: 11 June 2021, 08:22 »
Ohhhh it's Urano Grey, that's makes a bit more sense. I always thought it was urethr... grey  :whistle:

Personally I thought Urano Grey was the 2nd worst colour I've ever seen, (BMW Long Island blue being the worst). If I were after a Clubsport my choice would be Oryx White (If available can't remember if it was) Reflex Silver, Tornado Red. Quite frankly Reflex Silver is very very underrated colour.

Your right, silver is underrated, silver with the black looks mad! Never seen a Clubsport in Silver tbh.
Current:
2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sports Pack
2016 VW GTI Clubsport S - #250
2019 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI
2020 Mini John Cooper Works GP - #2166

Gone:
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2010 VW Polo GTI

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #11 on: 11 June 2021, 10:10 »
I’ve always avoided having a silver coloured car. Agree, silver looks good, hides the dirt well and IMO is one of the easiest colours to maintain. However, the big downside for me has always been issues with getting an accurate colour / shade match between original and new paintwork if paintwork repairs are necessary. I used to have a contact (motor claims vehicle inspection engineer) in one of the UK’s large insurance companies, and they told me that they had more customer complaint issues with repairs on silver coloured cars than with any other colour.

With spectrophotometer paint matching technology, paint matching new paint to the existing paint on a silver car may no longer be an issue - especially by a top notch body shop. However, I’ve seen quite a few silver coloured cars with very obvious signs of paintwork repairs - even where the new paint has been blended into the original paint on adjacent panels - and the ‘patchwork’ look on a car’s paintwork isn’t for me.

A definite ‘no-no’ for me would be a silver coloured car with diamond cut alloys. I’ve voiced my dislike of diamond cut alloys many times on the forum, and the potential for mismatched silver paint repairs combined with alloy wheels that are likely to succumb to white worm corrosion isn’t something I want to contemplate! :shocked:.

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 11 June 2021, 11:28 »
I’ve always avoided having a silver coloured car. Agree, silver looks good, hides the dirt well and IMO is one of the easiest colours to maintain. However, the big downside for me has always been issues with getting an accurate colour / shade match between original and new paintwork if paintwork repairs are necessary. I used to have a contact (motor claims vehicle inspection engineer) in one of the UK’s large insurance companies, and they told me that they had more customer complaint issues with repairs on silver coloured cars than with any other colour.

With spectrophotometer paint matching technology, paint matching new paint to the existing paint on a silver car may no longer be an issue - especially by a top notch body shop. However, I’ve seen quite a few silver coloured cars with very obvious signs of paintwork repairs - even where the new paint has been blended into the original paint on adjacent panels - and the ‘patchwork’ look on a car’s paintwork isn’t for me.

A definite ‘no-no’ for me would be a silver coloured car with diamond cut alloys. I’ve voiced my dislike of diamond cut alloys many times on the forum, and the potential for mismatched silver paint repairs combined with alloy wheels that are likely to succumb to white worm corrosion isn’t something I want to contemplate! :shocked:.

I agree silver when touched up is very hard to match even by the best body shops. I'd personally take the risk with silver over the basic flat white any day.

Flat white is a lacklustre and uninspiring colour that personally ruins every car, and should never have been an option for the ED40 the Oryx White should have been the standard colour for them, but in my opinion the White Silver of the 7.5 would've been a far better choice.
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 11 June 2021, 11:59 »
The might or might not need paintwork wouldn't put me off buying silver cars and indeed it didn't. It's a bit of a strange outlook to have really and you could have issues with any colour if the bodyshop was crap.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #14 on: 11 June 2021, 12:07 »
I agree silver when touched up is very hard to match even by the best body shops. I'd personally take the risk with silver over the basic flat white any day.

Flat white is a lacklustre and uninspiring colour that personally ruins every car, and should never have been an option for the ED40 the Oryx White should have been the standard colour for them, but in my opinion the White Silver of the 7.5 would've been a far better choice.

I maybe wrong, but I seem to remember that white was the colour of choice for VW when promoting the mk7 GTI around the time of its launch - presumably because it contrasts well with the black and red accents on the GTI.

White Silver is an interesting one - in anything less than bright, sunny conditions, a White Silver car always makes me think of a car that VW forgot to paint and they left it in primer.

Car colour choice is a very personal thing and it’s good we don’t all like the same colours, otherwise we’d probably all be driving around in the same coloured cars, and Ford would probably still be painting all their cars in Model T black! :grin:.
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #15 on: 11 June 2021, 12:12 »
The might or might not need paintwork wouldn't put me off buying silver cars and indeed it didn't. It's a bit of a strange outlook to have really and you could have issues with any colour if the bodyshop was crap.

Agree, the body shop and skill of the paint sprayer are significant factors. However, silver seems to be more difficult to match than some other colours, and is quite susceptible to noticeable shade differences between new and existing paint, and my personal choice is to not own a silver car.

I dare say that most people will have a paint colour they wouldn’t want (we’re all individuals with our own likes and dislikes) and they will have their own reasons for not wanting it.
« Last Edit: 11 June 2021, 12:20 by SRGTD »
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 11 June 2021, 12:49 »
Agree totally. I had a silver Tiguan that I reversed into my neighbours wall which meant the bumper had to be resprayed. Got it back and it was absolutely perfect, even my detailer commented on how good the job was. I personally wouldn't go anywhere near red or black cars so it's a good job they do white, silver and greys  :grin:
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline matthewh

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 11 June 2021, 14:41 »
Colour's are personal preference and for me very dependent on the car, Clubsport S I'd only have a white one, TCR I'd take the grey all day long, standard GTI / GTD I like the red, I hate green but I wouldn't want any other colour on my Mini  :laugh:, think no matter what colour it is you'll find an issue, black is terrible for swirls and scratches, white is constantly covered in tar, red eventually fades and the list goes on.

I'd never let the maintaining of a colour put me off, way I look at it is if I buy a different colour for that reason I'll only regret it every time I see one in the colour I prefer, I say buy it and then worry about the consequences, silver is much easier nowadays to get an exact match and most decent body shops have the tech to do it properly.

White silver is an odd one, don't hate it, don't really like it but standard colours always seem to age better than some of the more unique ones IMO, much easier to sell too, but each to their own  :smiley:

My car and van are identical in that flat white so I'm just a very uninspiring person willni   :undecided: :grin:

Current:
2000 Rover Mini Cooper Sports Pack
2016 VW GTI Clubsport S - #250
2019 VW Caddy 2.0 TDI
2020 Mini John Cooper Works GP - #2166

Gone:
2015 Ford Fiesta ST
2010 VW Polo GTI

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 11 June 2021, 14:54 »
Colour's are personal preference and for me very dependent on the car, Clubsport S I'd only have a white one, TCR I'd take the grey all day long, standard GTI / GTD I like the red, I hate green but I wouldn't want any other colour on my Mini  :laugh:, think no matter what colour it is you'll find an issue, black is terrible for swirls and scratches, white is constantly covered in tar, red eventually fades and the list goes on.

I'd never let the maintaining of a colour put me off, way I look at it is if I buy a different colour for that reason I'll only regret it every time I see one in the colour I prefer, I say buy it and then worry about the consequences, silver is much easier nowadays to get an exact match and most decent body shops have the tech to do it properly.

White silver is an odd one, don't hate it, don't really like it but standard colours always seem to age better than some of the more unique ones IMO, much easier to sell too, but each to their own  :smiley:

My car and van are identical in that flat white so I'm just a very uninspiring person willni   :undecided: :grin:

:grin: :grin: you never previously mentioned a caddy, they look great in all colours! but I'm a caddy fanboy  :grin: Flat white is nice in photos and contrasts really when on the Ed40 but when looking at them in person, I just miss there not having the same deep shine but I am a detailer and spend more time staring at my car than I do driving it!  :whistle:

You're definitely spot on when you say it depends on the make and model of the car, I wouldn't have  tornado red in my old GTD, but it's the only colour for me in a GTI. Golf R or Audi RS4 it has to be Blue!

PS can we see the Mini?  :wink:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Mikeyd1

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #19 on: 11 June 2021, 14:58 »
Urano gray looks good in over cast or in the evening, not so great in direct sunlight , looks like a mix of grey and purple.
2017 gti dsg white silver, 3door, dcc , Brescia alloys, pro Nav dvd ,dynaudio, dcc . Rear tints