Author Topic: fingerprints on Mk7.5 multimedia touch screen  (Read 1407 times)

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
fingerprints on Mk7.5 multimedia touch screen
« on: 08 June 2021, 12:14 »
Hi, I started the thread on great design features on the GTi, but this one is my mani bugbear, even clean / washed hands create fingerprints all over the MIB discpay screen on the 7.5 which show up under different lighting conditions.

Iphones etc have 'oleophobic' screens which resist fingerprints, but the VW screen seems to love them.  I keep a microfibre cloth (from some glasses) handy, but is there a screen protector or anything that anyone has found to prevent fingerprints marking so readily?

Thanks.
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Offline martin998877

• GTI forum regular
Re: fingerprints on Mk7.5 multimedia touch screen
« Reply #1 on: 08 June 2021, 12:31 »
Just looking on Amazon and I found this

https://www.amazon.co.uk/BROTECT-Protector-compatible-Volkswagen-Discover/dp/B07L6KTG6N

two screens for about £8.70.

I will get one and report back.
Golf GTi Mark 7 owner

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 June 2021, 12:49 »
I have similar screen protectors on my iPad and iPhone which don’t stop finger marks, so you may find that instead of cleaning finger marks directly off the screen you’re cleaning them off the screen protector instead.

I suppose it depends on how much oil, sweat etc. is secreted from your fingers, and how effective the anti fingerprint layer on the screen protector is.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Lordie

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 08 June 2021, 14:17 »
I'm assuming the MIB2 screen is different from the MIB1. The MIB1 is an old style touch screen where it's 2 sheet of material detecting finger presses. A screen protector defo shouldn't be put on a screen of that type.
Newer screens like you see on a mobile phones work off electrical current though your finger, I assume the MIB2 screen is like that?

Offline willni

• I live here
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 08 June 2021, 16:04 »
An effective (and free) way I found to reduce fingerprints on the MIB screen is to use your knuckle instead of your fingertips.

Of course it's not ideal, especially when on the move. But it does seem to work.
7.5 GTD

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 08 June 2021, 18:50 »
Waving knuckles at the screen is quite common amongst Mk8 owners, generally for a different reason!  :whistle:

VW actually sell cleaning cloths specifically for the touch screens in our cars.
I got given one FOC when I had a previous car.
They’re probably the same as Poundland cloths but come with a VW logo on the box so they can charge 1400% more.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline My other womans a vw.

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #8 on: 08 June 2021, 19:08 »
This was the main reason I had voice control activated-finger marks were doing my head in.
However,after using voice control for only a short while,the finger marks didn’t seem too bad!

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 08 June 2021, 19:36 »
Waving knuckles at the screen is quite common amongst Mk8 owners, generally for a different reason!  :whistle:

All fun and games until you end up giving yourself a blackeye going over a pothole :grin:
Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/