Author Topic: Selling up advice  (Read 6163 times)

Offline IanD

• Just got here
Re: Selling up advice
« Reply #30 on: 21 June 2021, 11:41 »
I sold my 69 plate GTI PP via Motorway a few weeks ago.
Hadn’t heard about them until mentioned on this forum so thought I would give it a go and see what price I could get since I was having an unhappy experience after buying the car through a VW dealer end of last year and wanting to return it.

Initial quote before I uploaded pictures was very optimistic ( nearly £1.6k higher than WBAC initial price)
Price went down from initial conversation, down again after photos sent, down again when offers came in and still had to have a final price discussion when the company came to collect. 

But overall I was happy with the end price and the process all seemed well thought out, only downside was at each stage the price always went down and bartering at last stage for stuff I had clearly stated as flaws and photographed and described I wasn’t happy to accept another price reduction on.

In the end still sold for a few hundred £‘s more than WBAC initial offer (and I know final price would be less) and over £600 more than selling dealership was offering as ‘a great deal’ to trade in for other cars.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #31 on: 21 June 2021, 12:12 »
Spoke to Motorway this morning, uploaded my photos and they are now about to advertise for offers. After examining the photos, the quote for my 18 plate GTI, remains £23k. I’ll wait and see how much they ‘chip off’  along the way. If it stays decent I’ll probably sell, if not, with 11,149 miles, it’s a keeper.

PS If anyone is interested in a good value, 5 digit Northern Ireland plate, comprised of  three letters and the number 12, let me know as I will probably sell it too.

Does anyone know if I can suspend or freeze  my insurance for a couple of months as personal circumstances mean it may suit me to leave buying another car for a few months?
« Last Edit: 21 June 2021, 14:35 by Ceefeesh »
Previous owner of many Golfs and GTIs. Now Audi S3.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #32 on: 21 June 2021, 13:12 »
Although I didn't follow through with Motorway, it did seem positive as someone with 6 miniscule stone chips and immaculate, never been scraped wheels. The give you an initial value based purely on mileage, then you have to gonon and take photos. On that basis, it's unsurprising that they'd chip you down a little if your car isn't immaculate because their first number will be generated on the basis that it is.

Had a woman on the phone asking me to take photos of stone chips so small, it was hard to focus the phone's camera on them. She didn't knock me down any further.

I got the price and went to the guys I sold my R to so they could match it without any potential issues later.

Difference between WBAC and Motorway is, WBAC are buying for themselves and are highly motivated to chip you down once you get the car in front of them. Motorway just sets you up with a buyer and are looking to ensure car isn't falsely represented on condition when the buyer turns up.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #33 on: 21 June 2021, 15:25 »
Just have to wait and see what value of offers arrive now. Northern Ireland prices may not be in line with GB prices. Time will tell.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #34 on: 22 June 2021, 23:19 »
As part of the process to see what offer I get via Motorway, I have been asked to prove the service history, which has been maintained, in addition to a series of questions and 16 photos. I do not have the receipts to hand (I know where they are but it is an awful lot of bother to get them) To prove they have been done is there some way I can obtain a record from VW? Thanks.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #35 on: 22 June 2021, 23:44 »
As part of the process to see what offer I get via Motorway, I have been asked to prove the service history, which has been maintained, in addition to a series of questions and 16 photos. I do not have the receipts to hand (I know where they are but it is an awful lot of bother to get them) To prove they have been done is there some way I can obtain a record from VW? Thanks.

Assuming your car’s service history is digital, then your VW dealer should be able to provide you with a print out - that’s assuming your car has been serviced by VW.

Seem to remember reading somewhere that the dealer may need proof of identity or proof of ownership of the vehicle before they provide the print out - maybe other forum members who have asked for a copy of their service history can confirm whether or not this is required.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #36 on: 23 June 2021, 00:49 »
Thanks SRGTD. The servicing has been done at my local VW dealer. I also have a remaining service and a years warranty to ask about too.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #37 on: 23 June 2021, 10:47 »
Just phone the dealer up you got your kastservice with, they'll email you a PDF of your digital service history. That's what I did a few weeks ago for selling the Polo.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Ceefeesh

• I live here
« Reply #38 on: 30 June 2021, 20:27 »
Just phone the dealer up you got your kastservice with, they'll email you a PDF of your digital service history. That's what I did a few weeks ago for selling the Polo.

Thanks I did that and had copy invoices in minutes. I have spoken to Motorway and got their valuation. They advertised it and I have now have received a bid but it’s £1,000 under their valuation so I haven’t been tempted just yet. They are now chasing me to discuss so I’ll see what they have to say.

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #39 on: 01 July 2021, 08:17 »
We recently sold our 2016 Tig R Line through Motorway. As it gets auctioned, it all depends who is out there and wants it badly enough.

The dealer offered £10,250 in PX against the discounted price of the new car. WBAC valued it at £11,000 on line, the Motorway valuation was £11,600. We went with Motorway and it made £12,150. The dealer that bought it collected it within 48 hours and transferred the money before driving it away.

Completely hassle free and we were £1900 better off.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.