Author Topic: Harman Kardon vs Standard Equipment  (Read 9130 times)

Offline massimo23

• Not said much yet
Re: Harman Kardon vs Standard Equipment
« Reply #30 on: 26 April 2021, 14:23 »
The sub is definitely in the boot, not sure about any amp. Suspect it probably is under the seat though, not looked.

What Exonian is looking for though is where the "stereo" unit is in the car, to see if it has a port for a sub to plug into and if its the same interface as the Mk7 to connect a Helix plug and play sub into it.

Yes the Sub [8]  is in the boot (Spare wheel) and the Amp [10] is also in the boot (Left side wall)

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #31 on: 08 June 2021, 10:50 »
Just thought I'd loop back to this subject as yeterday I made some interesting discoveries.

Up until yesterday, I'd tried a few different audio options...

1) Bluetooth - its terrible
2) Music on a USB stick - its not great

Now #1 I expected, #2 was how I ran my Mk7/7.5's and it was fine with the caveat that your audio files need to be suitably good enough.... only I've been dissapointed - even after I sought lossless FLAC files of my favourity tunes.

Yesterday on my road trip I thought I'd try messing with Alexa again. It actually worked for once, which in itself is a minor miracle but...

The music via Amazon is loud, its got base it totally blasted me, I couldn't turn it up to max, it was totally shaking me! Brilliant!

THAT was what I was expecting HK to do (no distortions either), but I don't really understand why.

It has to be the audio codec on the MIB unit.... I can only assume the Alexa app has its own.

Anyway, tip for anyone wanting to shake plaster off of the walls of houses you drive past.... use Alexa (if you can make it work!)
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Dav3smith

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #32 on: 08 June 2021, 11:15 »
Thanks Fred, that's good to know as I've specced it.
I knew it must have some benefit over the standard kit and I'm relieved you've used some witchcraft to finally unleash its potential.
GTI Clubsport ED45 DBP, DCC, HK, WP, Pano

Gone Golf R 7.5
Gone GTI 7

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #33 on: 09 June 2021, 10:43 »
You might also discover that even standard audio benefits from this tip too...

The audio codec is the same on the MIB unit....

It pains me though to have to say you need to use Alexa and Amazon though.

Even through Android Auto or Apple Car play you don't get the same effect. That too must be using some sort of interface to the standard audio processing.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #34 on: 03 July 2021, 01:06 »
I have just got my MK8 GTI and had no choice with extras as it was already built. Given the chance I would have put the HK on as I have come from a new shape focus with the B&O which I have to say was out of this world for sound quality. So I was a little concerned I would be disappointed with the standard system. I have to say I am really pleased with it. I play all my music wirelessly via Apple music and it sounds great. Don't get me wrong, its not out of this world but it is good enough for me to maybe not consider any upgrades but I have not had it long, so could change my mind. 
Current car: Manual MK8 GTI 245, Deep black pearl.
Ordered: DSG MK8 Clubsport, DCC, Pure white.