Author Topic: Harman Kardon vs Standard Equipment  (Read 9134 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: Harman Kardon vs Standard Equipment
« Reply #10 on: 20 April 2021, 22:23 »
I think the BMW one is slightly different. Certainly the controls you have are different.

I can't remember who's technology it is that does the four sound profiles but it's someone else's technology.

The lack of documentation means it's impossible to actually understand what the four things are for. These are on top of the equaliser sliders, which remain the same when you select the profiles. Surround also is another slider that's independent.

It's frustrating and your particular audio track can either work or fall flat. It's not even genre, one bass heavy thumping track can sound amazing, next one sounds like it's being played from something broken.

Something instrumental can sound amazing, something similar next sounds dreadful.

I'm no audiophile, i just love music but I can hear when it's gone wrong.

When it's right it's great but it's so variable and combined with a touch screen that will kill you if you fiddle while you drive...

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 20 April 2021, 22:44 »
Thanks for the info, useful as always! Question for you - how are you playing your music? DAB, Spotify or from your phone (iTunes or equiv)? Does it make any difference or is it equally inconsistent?
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline Kgti8

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 20 April 2021, 23:35 »
Totally agree with Fred, it’s very annoying not having any guidance at all on how the sound profiles operate. I’ve only been playing around with mine to date so can’t offer a verdict on it yet really.

It’s bizarre it’s not mentioned in the manual, I had a separate booklet for my MK7 Discover Pro...
2021 MK8 Manual | Oryx White, Estorils, DCC, Winter Pack, HK, Pan Roof, Rear Camera, Vienna Leather

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #13 on: 21 April 2021, 08:16 »
OK the software side of things does sound different, in the BMW its just an equalizer that doesn't change by music type and separate settings for the level of 'surround' effect / balance / fader etc

« Last Edit: 21 April 2021, 08:18 by ub7rm »
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #14 on: 21 April 2021, 08:23 »
Yes I remember how the BMW one looked, it is quite different.

Kenis, i mainly use mp3 (etc) files from a USB stick. I appreciate that the sound quality can vary but it's not about the audio quality in quite the same way here, it's definitely playback issues as the same files sound perfect on my bose system at home.

Oh and Bluetooth audio is straight up terrible and i can't fix that at all.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 21 April 2021, 10:08 »
I was considering adding a sub to the standard system as car resonances tend to drown out bass but having cranked up the bass to Max on the standard system it’s ok-ish.
Well worth going for the HK IMO. Just for the sub.
I had HK in a BMW and it wasn’t as good as Dynaudio in a mk7 Golf despite having loads of speakers, but I reckon with a bit of tweaking in a mk8 the HK should sound good. I’d spec it.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Kenis

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #16 on: 21 April 2021, 21:17 »
Interesting. I’m committed to the HK now, but by the time it arrives maybe someone will have deciphered how to get the best out of it other than some sort of custom playlist that only has songs that it likes!
Ordered Apr-21 Arrived Mar-23: MK8 GTI Clubsport, Dolphin, Estorils plus other options

Offline Don76

• Not said much yet
« Reply #17 on: 21 April 2021, 21:28 »
I installed some Audison kit in my new GTD yesterday.
Front mids and tweeters, a 10” sub that fits neatly in the spare wheel well and a 5 channel amp powering the new stuff as well as the std rear speakers.

Having just come from a 2020 BMW 320 with HK upgrade there’s no comparison.
The Audison really sounds impressive.
All for around the same price as the factory option.

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 21 April 2021, 21:46 »
Be good to get some more details/pics/review on that  :cool:
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 21 April 2021, 22:35 »
Where is the black box controlling the audio, tuner etc located? Is it easy to get at?
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner