Author Topic: New GTI Clubsport  (Read 13457 times)

Offline thronetm

• Not said much yet
Re: New GTI Clubsport
« Reply #10 on: 18 March 2021, 10:54 »
Ha ha! Very good  :grin:

You pretty much summed up my thoughts. Keyless off as a starter, then I'll decide on the other things as I find my bearings.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #11 on: 18 March 2021, 18:59 »
As Fred said - Keyless off.  I was like you and figured I would get a couple of pouches but decided to turn it off soon after.  Plus, hitting the unlock button and seeing the car light up as you walk towards it is much cooler than it unlocking itself for you when you're stood right next to it.

Lane Assist isn't really that intrusive and it's actually helpful when on the motorway or dual-carriageways, and you need to mess with the Infotainment or something else that's a distraction for a few seconds.  If I am on a regular road where there are parked cars and I will need to cross the centre line, or if I want some backroad fun where I may be taking a more 'racing line' type approach, then it's as simple as a thumb-press on the indicator stalk and an 'Ok' click on the wheel with the other hand.  Simple.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline thronetm

• Not said much yet
« Reply #12 on: 19 March 2021, 06:49 »
Thanks Brocky. Good to know it is at least simple to turn off it required.
My main concern was if lane assist was aggresive to the point if you were not expecting it, would it drag you back in line enough to potentially cause an accident e.g. the parked car situation.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #13 on: 19 March 2021, 09:13 »
Its not too bad providing you a) learn to expect it b) don't drive all over the road in the first place

Lane assist is default on by law now on all new vehicles. If you bought the cheapest Daccia, it would be the same.

Also, the law is such that manufacturers have to protect driving automation systems from hacking for safety reasons, so you cannot modify the permanent state of them either.

I've got to try what Brocky said about the swift disable of it - that sounds really good and I could easily do that on the move.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline thronetm

• Not said much yet
« Reply #14 on: 19 March 2021, 10:18 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCwBgQY0q6E

Hmmm, wonder can I drive on a motorway without having my hands on the steering wheel - just kick back and let lane assist do the work  :tongue:

To switch lanes just use your indicators and that temporarily places lane assist in standby mode - not a good solution for all those who don't seem to know what an indicator is  :smug:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 19 March 2021, 10:28 »
Yes, its called "travel assist" on the Mk8... it does adaptive cruise, with lane centring and it does steer and brake and you can take your hands off of the wheel.... for about 5 seconds before it pings warnings and disables itself.

What you have to watch out for though is when unexpectedly the lane markings become tricky for it to spot, you'll see the display change showing it can't see the lines and it will deactivate....

It can happen if the road markings become indistinct, you get some road works or its raining/snowing or even the sun is too low...

Like with just ACC on (which the Mk8 does as well), its great and it does help you be less tired when you get somewhere but you can't switch off completely and need to be able to react at any time....
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline JRR1988

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 19 March 2021, 23:32 »
Hi all,
Have been reading these forums with interest since I placed my GTI CS order back at the beginning of February.

Was originally given BW11 but that was brought forward to BW10 and the car started production build last week.

Not had a Volkswagen since 4 years ago when I swapped the Scirocco for a Leon FR. Very much looking forward to getting it. Thinking another 7-8 weeks before I actually take delivery. Hopefully no delays!

I ordered mine on the first week of January, was originally told May but was told 2 weeks ago that it would be September now.
Current and going imminently - MK7.5 GTI Performance Pack, DSG, Black

CANCELED - MK8 GTI Clubsport, Reflex Silver, 19” Adelaide Wheels, Winter Pack

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #17 on: 20 March 2021, 08:50 »
Hi all,
Have been reading these forums with interest since I placed my GTI CS order back at the beginning of February.

Was originally given BW11 but that was brought forward to BW10 and the car started production build last week.

Not had a Volkswagen since 4 years ago when I swapped the Scirocco for a Leon FR. Very much looking forward to getting it. Thinking another 7-8 weeks before I actually take delivery. Hopefully no delays!

I ordered mine on the first week of January, was originally told May but was told 2 weeks ago that it would be September now.
chip delays well into Autumn according to Autocar so not surprised it's delayed that long.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline thronetm

• Not said much yet
« Reply #18 on: 21 March 2021, 11:41 »
That is concerning. I was originally told July.
My order is still at Stage 4 being built but does say can take up to 10 working days to complete

« Last Edit: 21 March 2021, 11:46 by thronetm »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 21 March 2021, 11:58 »
Yes "build week" is 10 working days.

At some point after that the status will update, usually on a Monday morning.