Author Topic: Potential Purchase  (Read 1774 times)

Offline Jason123

• Just got here
Potential Purchase
« on: 25 February 2021, 10:54 »
Hi All

I am looking to buy a 2012 Golf GTI DSG.

I have read (believe it or not) the 73 pages on timing chain issues.

I was really looking forward to buying one however i am really concerned about the DSG Mechatronics and the Timing chain / tensioner that the TSI engines suffer from?

What do you recommend or am i better off steering away from this car?

Any help appreciated

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Re: Potential Purchase
« Reply #1 on: 25 February 2021, 13:10 »
Should have saved yourself some time and just read my post on page one.  :wink:

Depends on mileage. I would say if its got over 70k on then factor in a chain and tensioner change in the cost. As chains do stretch. Then you will probably be fine for another 10yrs.

Mecatronics can fail leaving a costly bill but there are thousands without issues. All car makes and types have its protensial issues. Check any purchase has had the regular DSG service. Its often not done.

« Last Edit: 25 February 2021, 13:18 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Jason123

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 25 February 2021, 14:34 »

Looking to spend around 10/11k

Something that is 12 or earlier, with lowish as possible miles with an exc excellent history

I am considering this or an S3 but always wanted a GTI.

It just terrifies me the things i read on here.......

Would you buy one again knowing what you know.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #3 on: 25 February 2021, 14:45 »
Ive owned one 10 yrs.
Do i regret it. No.
It still being here and it never gotten replaced by a mk7, mk7.5, mk8 (after trying them), and i have no plans to sell the mk6 sort of answers the question I guess.

I do wish i had waited for the GTI Edition 35 to come out before i got mine though. Mainly as i also have the runout mk1 so the edition 35 would match it.

The GTI edition 35 uses the older engine with a timing belt rather than a chain same engine as used in the S3 and R of the time.

Haldex on the S3/R is another whole new migrain.  :wink:

« Last Edit: 25 February 2021, 15:03 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline Jason123

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 25 February 2021, 15:49 »

Thanks for that will continue to search for one that fits,

Will try and lockdown the edition 35 not sure i can on budget.

What are these import golfs like?? Seen some around will low miles?

Offline seabrook132

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 26 February 2021, 10:20 »
Every car will be differently obviously but my 2011 GTI now has 165,000 miles on it. I've never had DSG issue in that time, although it's worth checking that any cars you are looking at have had the DSG oil and filter change at 40k mile intervals.

I took my car to 100,000 miles on the original chain and tensioner. I was monitoring the chain stretch using VCDS and it did extend. I found a link on the Briskoda forum which showed at what value you should start to be concerned and I hit that number so bit the bullet and got the chain changed and the latest revision tensioner fitted at the same time. Yes it was more expensive than a cam belt change would be but then I'd imagine a cam belt change interval to be more along the lines of 60k miles.

I bought my car at 36,000 miles and have obviously piled them on since then. It's taken that mileage in it's stride and I certainly wouldn't change my decision to buy one!

2011 GTI DSG 5dr, Tornado Red, 18" Monza Shadows, Heated Leather, RNS-510, MDI, Bilstein B16 PSS10 Coilovers, Ohlins DCC Cancellation Kit, Audi TT-RS Front Top Mounts, Whiteline 24mm Rear ARB, Michelin Pilot Sport 4, 034 Motorsports Street Density Engine and Gearbox Mounts, Audi R8 Red Coil Packs, NGK BKR7EIX, Millers 5W-40 Nanodrive

Offline roblyt

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 27 February 2021, 00:03 »
mines just hit 69000 miles and its cost me a small fortune repairing and maintaining it over the last 6 years
i do still love it though, been meaning sell it for a while but just cant do it yet

Offline Jason123

• Just got here
« Reply #7 on: 27 February 2021, 22:02 »
Thanks guys

A couple more questions sorry!

Is Carly any good to use to code?

Can you code the needle sweep with Carly? (6 GTI)

Do you get Ambient Lights on the 6 GTI probably a 12 or newer?

Thanks