Author Topic: Mk7.5 performance to mk8 GTI few questions  (Read 1769 times)

Online davo245

• Here all the time
Mk7.5 performance to mk8 GTI few questions
« on: 07 December 2022, 17:18 »
Should be getting a MK8 GTI soon just have a few questions relating to the keyless entry and start if anyone could help.

Can you disable the keyless entry if so how or does the key stop transmitting after so long.

Anyone else made the switch as above and how do you find they compare loved my 7.5 did everything well but due to miles I do time to move it on sadly.

Hope I have made the right choice!

Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
Re: Mk7.5 performance to mk8 GTI few questions
« Reply #1 on: 07 December 2022, 18:48 »
You can disable Keyless entry via the Composition Media on the car.  I have done this but still store the keys in a shielded box when at home as secondary measure overnight.  Also i had a Golf MK7 which I loved.  The switch to a Golf R MK8 has been fairly painless so far.  It is a good car, you will notice certain details which have been cost cut and others which are improvements over your old car...

Overall i would say i will own my MK8 Golf R for a long while yet as its a good car, but will always have fond memories of my Golf R MK7

You won't regret getting a MK8 Golf GTI as long as the software behaves which it should hopefully do now.

Online davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #2 on: 07 December 2022, 20:45 »
You can disable Keyless entry via the Composition Media on the car.  I have done this but still store the keys in a shielded box when at home as secondary measure overnight.  Also i had a Golf MK7 which I loved.  The switch to a Golf R MK8 has been fairly painless so far.  It is a good car, you will notice certain details which have been cost cut and others which are improvements over your old car...

Overall i would say i will own my MK8 Golf R for a long while yet as its a good car, but will always have fond memories of my Golf R MK7

You won't regret getting a MK8 Golf GTI as long as the software behaves which it should hopefully do now.

Thanks for that the software was one of the issues I was hoping to avoid and also the lack of physical buttons will take some getting used to I suppose.

Would of loved an R but mad money now for a Golf along with the road tax and theft risk.

Does the key stop transmitting when stationary for so long do you know?
Mk6 GTI DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline Brenbo

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 08 December 2022, 05:54 »
Ive had no problems with road sign display yet.  The software in my car has been fairly reliable so far.   If i were to buy another MK8 Golf it would be a GTI not an R.  The main reason is you get the same level of interior on a cheaper car which you can use more of the performance range on as it is lower powered and i suspect it will drink marginally less fuel when you do (which equates to more enjoyment during the cost of living crisis price hikes)... Also until recent you could get a GTI with manual transmission which for me was a huge bonus (as enjoyed driving a manual for many years as more involving).  So it should be me envying you for getting a GTI.  Whatever Performance Golf you get, enjoy it as it will be a good car  :wink:
« Last Edit: 08 December 2022, 05:56 by Brenbo »

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #4 on: 08 December 2022, 09:01 »
You can disable the keyless entry easily in the menus, but I haven't...

After my initial worries about it, now I've read how the new system works, I'm happy its not compromisable by the techniques currently in use. The difficulty level is pretty high...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 December 2022, 10:08 »

having to turn off lane assist every time.

Get yourself an obdEleven dongle and set it to "remember" the last setting (i.e. OFF!). I haven't seen lane assist in my car in over a year, since I did this.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 08 December 2022, 10:11 »
Yeah lane assist off is a good idea.

With the OP's car being brand new, it will have the speed limiter on it too... probably just as easy to kill that with OBD11.

We've not heard much about that because I don't think anyone has had a post June 2022 car delivered yet on here  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline WelshGolf

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #7 on: 08 December 2022, 13:53 »

With the OP's car being brand new, it will have the speed limiter on it too... probably just as easy to kill that with OBD11.

We've not heard much about that because I don't think anyone has had a post June 2022 car delivered yet on here  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I have an August 2022 car and have no limiter on it, so not sure what it was suppose to do?
Golf 7R - Gone
Golf 7.5 GTi - Gone
Golf 8 Clubsport - On order

Online davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 08 December 2022, 15:23 »

Mine is a 21 Reg car new one was way to long to wait.
Mk6 GTI DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 09 December 2022, 10:06 »

I have an August 2022 car and have no limiter on it, so not sure what it was suppose to do?

Ahhh it could be that the legislation applies to "new models" as opposed to "new cars" - so until the MY24 cars it won't have it.