Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 115213 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #310 on: 18 April 2021, 22:05 »
I had eight bags of compost in mine yesterday. Looked pretty gangster sitting low like that.... Well at the back anyway.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #311 on: 18 April 2021, 22:47 »
I hope none of the bags split!
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #312 on: 18 April 2021, 22:50 »
I hope none of the bags split!

Luckily no...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #313 on: 19 April 2021, 12:29 »
Today I got hold of a pile of Erwin self study training docs.

Been having a read through those.

Its a shame that VW don't make a lot of the content available in the owners manual. A lot of the things make a lot more sense to me now.

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #314 on: 19 April 2021, 13:36 »
I swore at the drivers display because it keeps telling me to “take foot of the accelerator!” No! I won’t take my foot of the accelerator! 🤬

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #315 on: 19 April 2021, 13:42 »
I swore at the drivers display because it keeps telling me to “take foot of the accelerator!” No! I won’t take my foot of the accelerator! 🤬

You can turn those eco tips off.... i did...i like a bit of fuel saving but those were super annoying!

Offline Ubique

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #316 on: 19 April 2021, 14:58 »
Fred, the eco tips are turned off. I assumed it was that but I think it’s something to do with me turning on the active road signs. The warning comes up when I enter a lower speed limit area.

Offline rubberduck

• Not said much yet
« Reply #317 on: 19 April 2021, 16:47 »
Fred, the eco tips are turned off. I assumed it was that but I think it’s something to do with me turning on the active road signs. The warning comes up when I enter a lower speed limit area.

What do you get out of enabling active road signs? Does it interact with the adaptive cruise control at all? Two days until mine arrives so just trying to work out what to use and disable from the second it arrives :grin:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #318 on: 19 April 2021, 17:11 »
"active road signs" I don't quite know what that means, but if you push the button for "travel assist" on the steering wheel, it sets the cruise control speed to the signposted speed limits.

Travel Assist is an assist system for partly automated driving. This system combines the following functions:
Adaptive cruise control
Predictive cruise control
Connective cruise control
Lane departure warning
Lane change assist

"Connective cruise control" is something I've only just seen mention of today and it might explain one of the things I've encountered with Travel Assist turned on...when it suddenly decided to go to 30mph on a 70mph dual carriageway, coming into a 50mph set of roadworks:

Receiving traffic jam information
The connective cruise control system c-ACC (yellow vehicle) receives this
traffic information via Car2X. This is displayed to the driver in the dash
panel insert.
The vehicle’s own speed is adapted to the speed of the traffic jam by the
predictive function (traffic jam end plus 50 km/h).
As soon as the adaptive cruise control (ACC) detects the end of the traffic
jam, it adapts the speed and driving situation, even coming to a standstill if
necessary.

In other words, somewhere ahead of me was likely another Car2X enabled car sitting in the stationary traffic queue...

I've learnt loads of new things today, interesting reading.

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #319 on: 19 April 2021, 19:14 »
Switching Travel Assist on always sets the speed to the current speed, regardless of the speed limit of the zone you're currently in.  Without going to the car and looking through the settings, I don't know the exact name but there's a setting that will auto-adjust your TA speed in line with the speed limit when passing signs.

For me, TA is quite good but I am finding it freaks out at times.  As Fred said, it will very occasionally randomly drop to 30mph for seemingly no reason.  I felt as though it was maybe seeing a 30 sign when passing a short off-slip or something, but I am not sure.  This happened during the night with no roadworks and little traffic, so I don't think it's a Car2X thing in my case. Regardless, I never want to have the feeling that things are out of my control and so the car all of a sudden braking whilst cruising at 70 on a motorway is definitely not to my liking.

I also feel like using TA is going to make me a lazy driver, as I don't need to concentrate quite as much, so I will still use it every now and then - when I need to fiddle with the screen or take my sunglasses out of their bag, for example - but, for the most part, I will just stick to popping Lane Assist on when cruising.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport