Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 115220 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #210 on: 29 March 2021, 17:00 »
Its only because they won't open it up with an appropriate interface for AA/ACP - the platforms themselves have supported dual displays for some time.

VAG software development is lost up its own exhaust pipe.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #211 on: 29 March 2021, 17:06 »
Yup, still disappointing though  :sad:
7.5 GTD

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #212 on: 29 March 2021, 18:24 »
There's a Dutch company whose name escapes me, who do a driveability dsg tune for otherwise unmodified cars. Worth a look. AwesomeGTI have them on their website if anyone is interested. I'm considering it.
TVS and they are supposed to be the best you can get.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #213 on: 29 March 2021, 18:55 »
There's a Dutch company whose name escapes me, who do a driveability dsg tune for otherwise unmodified cars. Worth a look. AwesomeGTI have them on their website if anyone is interested. I'm considering it.
TVS and they are supposed to be the best you can get.

That's the one. And their gearbox tunes are gearbox specific, presumably the MK8 is basically the same as the MK7.5? So hopefully it won't be long before they are available for the MK8.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #214 on: 29 March 2021, 19:40 »
I don't know if the box is the same dq380 and also don't know if they have put the controller behind the sfd or not.

I have mailed TVS to find out because if it was available today I'd be hitting the order button.
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #215 on: 29 March 2021, 20:34 »
I don't know if the box is the same dq380 and also don't know if they have put the controller behind the sfd or not.

I have mailed TVS to find out because if it was available today I'd be hitting the order button.
I've held off doing it on my TCR for now. Warranty obviously goes out the window and it's a rather expensive item to replace.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #216 on: 29 March 2021, 22:12 »
Maybe I'll just have to keep going with it, but so far it's quite annoying. Risking the gearbox might be cheaper than swapping the car for a manual one.... Yeah I'm feeling that unhappy with it today.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #217 on: 29 March 2021, 22:22 »
That bad? I'd been thinking about making the jump to DSG next time, but this is making me think again.  :undecided:
7.5 GTD

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #218 on: 29 March 2021, 22:49 »
I dunno, maybe if I ever get back to sitting in traffic all day I might learn to love it but right now I'm really unhappy with it.

Offline ub7rm

• I live here
« Reply #219 on: 30 March 2021, 08:30 »
I must say its been a bit of a revelation with BMW vs previous VAG cars that the gearbox calibration is near spot on - 'comfort' mode means the throttle response is instant and it pre-empts gear choice and change point near perfect regardless of how your driving. 

I've had 7speed DSG, 6 speed DSG and a ZF gearbox in an audi and in normal mode they all change up too early whereas sports mode tends to hold onto the gear just a bit too long unless you're really 'on it'.  Obviously the DSG boxes swap cogs seamlessley, but overall the calibration of the VAG boxes needs a bit more thought.
2020 BMW 128ti
2017 Golf GTD Estate