Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 116011 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #200 on: 28 March 2021, 17:50 »
Ever tried a Dsg tune Exonian?

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline theminty1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #201 on: 28 March 2021, 17:52 »
The dsg manual dilemma. Normal manual gti would be the answer for me, but I like the seats and rear spoiler on the clubby. The extra power probably wouldn't use it enough these days. I have never driven a dsg though....
Then the whole m135 thing. Decisions decisions

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #202 on: 28 March 2021, 22:54 »
Ever tried a Dsg tune Exonian?

No. It’s something I would look at though. I’m wondering if a pedalbox might be a half answer.

The dsg manual dilemma. Normal manual gti would be the answer for me, but I like the seats and rear spoiler on the clubby. The extra power probably wouldn't use it enough these days. I have never driven a dsg though....
Then the whole m135 thing. Decisions decisions

The M135i is well worth checking out. Very impressive in many areas. The Golf is too though, just in different ways. Try and spend a bit of time in both.

To be perfectly honest I hardly use much of the performance of the Clubby these days either. The roads I drive don’t really lend themselves to wringing every last ounce of performance, they’re more about carrying speed through corners which means flexibility and the gearbox being in the right gear. Either that or stuck behind someone in a camper van with no places to safely pass.
But it’s the full package of the Clubsport that attracts me as opposed to any other model in the range (with the exception of a well loaded R which wasn’t available at the time I had to commit to a deal). Looks, exterior features, suspension, brakes, seats... 

In previous generations I’d always said the DSG lacks a vital ingredient, that’s the driver’s vision to anticipate and plan.
With the mk8 it has most of that benefit. The car has a systems manager working with supposedly every component on the vehicle. The car tells me when I need to lift off the gas, it warns me of bends, speed limit changes and roundabouts well in advance. It has that eye in the sky capability built in.
So why can’t the car tell the gearbox to be in an appropriate gear when cruising down from 60 in an NSL towards a roundabout, so that once the driver has checked it to be safe to continue ahead at the roundabout still in NSL? I just end up with what feels like a box of clutch slip and indecision when trying to safely accelerate briskly but not balls out fast away from the potential danger zone (roundabout) into the continuing road ahead.
The car has masses of torque so a drop from 6 or 7th to 4th would easily suffice, using no more than 2500 - 3000 rpm going back up through the ‘box after the roundabout.
It would do that in the BMW but the DSG farts around before either selecting too high a gear way off boost or too low a gear and getting all frenetic. Basic basic stuff.

I’ve got 4 years of PCP to master it!
I’ll be a wizened old, long white bearded, DSG guru by then.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #203 on: 28 March 2021, 23:26 »
I'm still trying to get used to it too. I also have my doubts but it's got nothing to do with trying to beat Lewis Hamilton.

There are some very odd traits.... The coasting is one and the other is when the box is in sport mode and you get those rev matched down shifts. They seem to happen right at the wrong time when cornering and create a jolt as you turn. It's really annoying.

I'm still trying to get my head around what would be the setup I'd want before looking for a solution.

I just wish some of the drive characteristics were user configurable....
« Last Edit: 28 March 2021, 23:31 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline theminty1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #204 on: 29 March 2021, 08:12 »
Thanks for the thoughts on the DSG will just need to try when the time comes. What difference would a DSG tune make just snappier changes. I would be looking for smoother rather than jarring.
I had a thought this morning, does the clubsport have different coloured decals on a black or dark blue car. I saw a photo of one for sale and it had no decals at all. Surely that car must be £500 cheaper with no stickers  :grin:

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #205 on: 29 March 2021, 08:22 »
From what I've seen, a Dsg tune adjusts the shift points and deletes coasting. But it does depend on the actual tune itself.

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #206 on: 29 March 2021, 08:40 »
There's a Dutch company whose name escapes me, who do a driveability dsg tune for otherwise unmodified cars. Worth a look. AwesomeGTI have them on their website if anyone is interested. I'm considering it.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #207 on: 29 March 2021, 10:24 »
Yes that looks interesting. They aren't listing it for a mk8 yet though.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #208 on: 29 March 2021, 15:42 »
Today's discovery in the magical and logic defying world of the Mk8.... the HUD doesn't have arrow indicators when you are running Waze.

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #209 on: 29 March 2021, 16:36 »
TBH that doesn't surprise me, purely from the fact that VAG still haven't got integration between Android Auto/CarPlay and the Digital Cockpit after I don't know how many years.
7.5 GTD