Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 115285 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #100 on: 08 March 2021, 12:51 »
It just seemed like a Golf, only compromised in terms of practicality with no real up side to it. It didn't handle any better, it didn't go any faster, it was just awkward to live with.

Just my view...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #101 on: 08 March 2021, 12:55 »
Today, I've worked out why Travel Assist and Predictive cruise didn't seem to be working properly.... you have to go and turn on all of the assist systems before it will do it. Which is weird, I'd have thought the things would have been on out of the box, given how much value VW put on those. While I was in there, I've turned on speed warnings too. Lets see how long before I turn that off again...

I've also finally got around to locating and eliminating the bloody eco tips. I love to hug a tree as much as the next hippy, but those were driving me batty. The bloody "take your foot off the gas" icon on the HUD.... grrrr
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #102 on: 08 March 2021, 13:27 »
It just seemed like a Golf, only compromised in terms of practicality with no real up side to it. It didn't handle any better, it didn't go any faster, it was just awkward to live with.

Just my view...

It was launched at a time when 3 door hatchbacks were still reasonably popular, and it was also quite well specced for its time too.

Early GT models had DCC and 18 inch wheels as standard. Both of which were optional extras on the Mk6 GTi and GTD. I really wanted one, but my employers company car policy at the time put paid to that.  :sad:
7.5 GTD

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #103 on: 08 March 2021, 13:54 »
Oops, wrong thread...
« Last Edit: 08 March 2021, 13:56 by Brocky_ »
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #104 on: 08 March 2021, 13:57 »
I actually swapped my MK5 GT TDI for the Scirocco (still a 140ps Oil burner), and yes Fred, I know what you are saying, it was just a Golf in another set of clothes, but it actually did feel very different and quite special compared to the MK5 it was based on. The boot was surprisingly huge for a coupe and yes, getting in the back wasn't the easiest (although to be fair no worse than a 3 door Golf of the time), but could easily swallow 4 adults in decent comfort. 

Big problem in later years with the Rocco, was that VW never really updated it. The running gear, most of the electrics etc were still MK5 Golf based when it went out of production a few years back. If VW would have made a new version with the MK7 underpinnings (MQB) and the vastly updated electronics and safety systems of the later car, I think it would still sell well today. Back in the day when I bought mine, according to my dealer, it pretty much killed off the 3 door Golf in terms of their sales (at least this particular dealer), and only those that wanted 5 doors actually ordered a Golf. Strange but true.
« Last Edit: 08 March 2021, 13:59 by Sootchucker »
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline skippy

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #105 on: 08 March 2021, 19:37 »
I actually swapped my MK5 GT TDI for the Scirocco (still a 140ps Oil burner), and yes Fred, I know what you are saying, it was just a Golf in another set of clothes, but it actually did feel very different and quite special compared to the MK5 it was based on. The boot was surprisingly huge for a coupe and yes, getting in the back wasn't the easiest (although to be fair no worse than a 3 door Golf of the time), but could easily swallow 4 adults in decent comfort. 

Big problem in later years with the Rocco, was that VW never really updated it. The running gear, most of the electrics etc were still MK5 Golf based when it went out of production a few years back. If VW would have made a new version with the MK7 underpinnings (MQB) and the vastly updated electronics and safety systems of the later car, I think it would still sell well today. Back in the day when I bought mine, according to my dealer, it pretty much killed off the 3 door Golf in terms of their sales (at least this particular dealer), and only those that wanted 5 doors actually ordered a Golf. Strange but true.

This is exactly the reason why I traded my Roc for a new GTI last year.  The Scirocco was a great car and I really enjoyed it, but as you mentioned sootchucker, VW never properly updated it.

I did have a few comments over the years like, ‘oh but it is really a Golf underneath’, but a Golf of course is a fine car on which to base it.

I was always hoping that there would be an MQB version of the Scirocco, but I think dieselgate and the market towards SUV’s killed that idea.

The Scirocco always seemed to be in the Golf’s shadow as it were, where the emphasis on R&D would go to the Golf and not much handed down to the Roc.

I was sad to see the Roc go, but the Mk7.5 GTI is another proposition altogether.

Sorry if this has strayed off topic!

MK7.5 2020, Isaac Blue, standard spec

Gone but certainly not forgotten Candy White Scirocco 2.0 TSI

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #106 on: 08 March 2021, 20:11 »
So the speed limit warning thing turned out to be not too annoying. I probably do need reminders...

I think I've also figured out finally how the HK audio setup works, not that the user guide actually seems to tell you. It's kind of weird in that you have four different audio types but the equaliser setup is the same no matter which one you choose. The type profiles are different sounding though I discovered.

Offline theminty1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #107 on: 09 March 2021, 10:30 »

I think I've also figured out finally how the HK audio setup works, not that the user guide actually seems to tell you. It's kind of weird in that you have four different audio types but the equaliser setup is the same no matter which one you choose. The type profiles are different sounding though I discovered.

I believe the Mk8 has a centre speaker can this be turned on/off then depending on how which preset you are on?

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #108 on: 09 March 2021, 10:47 »

I believe the Mk8 has a centre speaker can this be turned on/off then depending on how which preset you are on?

Yes there is a centre speaker in the dash.... how its used or when its used I don't really know. There is literally no documentation I can find on HK at all. The user guide has nothing, there is no extra supplemental infotainment booklet like I had the on Mk7.5.

(I've just emailed VW customer services.... I don't hold much hope in them giving me a sensible answer but hey...)
« Last Edit: 09 March 2021, 10:50 by fredgroves »

Offline theminty1

• Not said much yet
« Reply #109 on: 09 March 2021, 11:05 »
Does the non HK  have the centre speaker.... might as well ask those in the know