Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 111699 times)

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #80 on: 01 March 2021, 16:34 »
Picked it up  :cool:

Looks good  :cool:

But you are supposed to park between the lines :grin:

According to the the bendy lines on the rear view camera that was straight... Maybe I've not mastered that yet.  :whistle:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Stevo M81

• Not said much yet
« Reply #81 on: 01 March 2021, 17:26 »
Picked it up  :cool:

Looks great in that colour and those wheels, health to drive Fred  :cool:
Current  MK8 GTI - DSG - 19” Adelaide - White

Previous - MK7 GTD - White

Offline fuster

• Not said much yet
« Reply #82 on: 01 March 2021, 17:46 »

Offline Yusee

• I live here
« Reply #83 on: 01 March 2021, 20:46 »
Great looking car Fred. More fun than the gtd?
Great pic too. What are those interesting buildings in the background?
2018 Golf GTI Performance  5dr manual, Isaac blue
1988 Peugeot 205 GTI 1.9, 2022 Triumph Street Triple R, 2016 Seat Alhambra.

Offline AndyGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #84 on: 01 March 2021, 20:54 »
Congratulations Fred. Looks really good.

Happy Driving
2022 Polo GTI, Reef Blue
2022 Audi RS3 Tango Red
2016 Golf R 3dr Manual, Lapiz Blue
2013 Polo BlueGT 3dr, Blue Silk
2007 Polo GTI 3dr, Diamond Black

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #85 on: 01 March 2021, 20:56 »
Moonstone is great. Congratulations Fred.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #86 on: 01 March 2021, 21:25 »
Great looking car Fred. More fun than the gtd?
Great pic too. What are those interesting buildings in the background?

Chatham dockyard... The old royal navy base. Those are covered slipways.

A good place for HMS Weasel I thought  :laugh:

And yes what little hooligan moments I've had so far, better than the gtd.
« Last Edit: 01 March 2021, 21:43 by fredgroves »
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #87 on: 03 March 2021, 12:46 »
Picked my Clubsport up yesterday.  I took your advice, Fred and disabled keyless right away.  I got it at 11:00 and didn't get home until gone midnight!  :evil:  Pretty sure I have around 200 miles on it already.  Took it fairly easy for the most part but couldn't resist giving it a little squirt every now and then.

Not got any pictures yet, as I was too busy enjoying it.  Plus, it's going in for a ceramic coating at weekend, so will put some up then.

A couple of niggles:- After a few hours the volume sliders on both the dash and the steering wheel doesn't seem to want to increase volume.  It gives the haptic feedback and will decrease volume fine, but just won't increase it.  I can still do it via voice command, however.

Also....and this may be me just not being used to DSG....Sports mode feels a bit weird in that, when I am just driving normally, it doesn't seem to settle down and sits in 3rd gear around 3,000 revs until it gets to about 40mph, then sits in 4th.  Is that normal?  Driving at 30-35 in 3rd gear seems a bit weird....even for Sports mode.  In comfort mode, it would be in 5th or 6th at 30-35.  Are my expectations skewed that it should still settle into at least 4th, even in sports mode, when not accelerating at 30mph?   Does the DSG kind of learn your driving style over time and adjusts to it and it's just 'getting used to me', so to speak?

Other than that, though, I am thoroughly chuffed to bits with the car.

Oh and a kind of embarrassing newbie question:- Is Eco mode for motorway cruising or for stop/start traffic about town kind of driving?  :whistle:
« Last Edit: 03 March 2021, 12:51 by Brocky_ »
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #88 on: 03 March 2021, 13:11 »
Brocky,

Nice one! What colour is yours?

Glad you were sensible on the keyless disable. I couldn't sleep at night with that risk running through my head.

The volume buttons.... yeah a little bit frustating. I've not worked it out yet.

DSG - I too am a DSG noob, still getting used to it too. Not quite sure how its supposed to work really. I've mainly been using just "drive" mode, which changes at just under 2k rpm.

ECO.... no idea, not even tried it. Possibly it enables coasting... on the Mk7 you could put it into eco mode and get that.

« Last Edit: 03 March 2021, 13:14 by fredgroves »

Offline Brocky_

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #89 on: 03 March 2021, 14:32 »
Brocky,

Nice one! What colour is yours?

Glad you were sensible on the keyless disable. I couldn't sleep at night with that risk running through my head.

The volume buttons.... yeah a little bit frustating. I've not worked it out yet.

DSG - I too am a DSG noob, still getting used to it too. Not quite sure how its supposed to work really. I've mainly been using just "drive" mode, which changes at just under 2k rpm.

ECO.... no idea, not even tried it. Possibly it enables coasting... on the Mk7 you could put it into eco mode and get that.
Mine is white on 18s.  I know everyone hates them but I really don't mind them.  I am not a fan of black wheels and I can already tell that my daily drive would be pretty harsh on anything bigger, so I am happy with them.

It's not so much the whole touch slider thing in general, with regards to the volume, it's that volume up via either the dash or wheel sliders suddenly stopped working.  Decrease works fine via sliders and a voice request works fine, just not an increase via either slider, despite the haptic feedback working.  I imagine it's either something I have done or a software issue.

Eco definitely enables coasting.  I'm just not sure under what circumstances it is best used.  To be honest, I would probably only use it if it's designed for cruising at 70, and would just use Comfort around town anyway.

One stand-out thing for me is just how eager the car always feels to go.  I find myself braking way more than I am used to.  Even when I am in Comfort mode and driving normally, barely touching the go pedal, the slightest incline and I soon realise that I am pushing 10mph more than when I last looked.  Again, that maybe just me getting used to DSG after 20+ years of engine-braking with manuals.
Mk.8 GTI ClubSport