Author Topic: GTD Fuel/Additives  (Read 11224 times)

Offline CodeMonkey

• Just got here
GTD Fuel/Additives
« on: 27 October 2018, 15:37 »
Hi all
Newbie to the forum and VW.
I bought a Mk7 gtd dsg last year and I love it. With it being 2 years old and the fact that I only do short journeys I've been putting more thought into the fuel I use and if I should be adding any extra additives or once a year engine cleaning products. For reference most of my journeys to and from work the engine just gets warm, I do long drives and least once a week including motorways, a roads and b road blasts to try and reduce the risk of dpf issues and before anyone says I should have bought a GTi, I wanted to but the misses didn't like it so we compromised and got a gtd :).
Sorry I'm guessing this has been asked many times before however I'm unable to find any that relate specifically to a gtd. From the articles/forums I've read it sounds like it's down to personal opinions however I'm interested to know what fuel brand other people put in their car? the stations that are on my daily route are shell, BP and asda and further out there are Sainsbury's, Tesco and Morrisons. Does anybody have any opinions in regards to these brands and/or thier premium fuels? Also does anyone have experience using additives/cleaning products which you add to the fuel? I've been looking at miller's diesel power ecomax and it seems to get very good reviews. Anyway sorry for the essay and thanks for all your help in advance.
Cheers
Tom

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
Re: GTD Fuel/Additives
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2018, 20:22 »
The gtd and GTi look so alike so a bit mystified as to why the Mrs didn't like the GTi  :grin:
When I had my gtd I did short journeys to work and used shell diesel with shots of millers diesel ecomax. You could add the millers every fill but maybe every fourth use shell v power or just use the shell v power. I tried other brands of fuel in my gtd but found it ran better on shell.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline CodeMonkey

• Just got here
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2018, 22:37 »
Thanks for the advice I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only 1 in this situation. Yea I'm baffled as well her answer was that she didn't like the red trim on the grill and the red brake calipers, women's minds work in unusual ways

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2018, 22:55 »
If you stick to good quality fuel and avoid the supermarket crap from Morrisons and Asda and your giving it a good run out everything should be ok.

Offline CodeMonkey

• Just got here
« Reply #4 on: 28 October 2018, 08:37 »
Thanks. I've tried a double shot of miller's and done about 40 miles, it's already starting to feel smoother, probably placebo effect but at £1.40 tank extra I'm happy to pay it :)

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2018, 09:23 »
Yeah you'll think it's better straight away. Probably two to three full tanks worth of using Millers will help.

Offline hog_hedge

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2018, 11:39 »
Here's an extract from the owner's manual.

Diesel

Diesel fuel must comply with the European standard EN 590 or the German standard DIN EN 590 ⇒ . Where diesel complying with the specified standard is not available, Volkswagen dealerships will have information on what kind of diesel is suitable for the vehicle.

The fuel quality affects the running properties, performance and service life of the engine. This is why the vehicle should be refuelled with good quality fuel that has already been mixed with quality-enhancing additives by the manufacturer.

If you use diesel fuel with a high sulphur content, the service intervals are shorter ⇒BookletService schedule,. A Volkswagen dealership will be able to tell you which countries have diesel with a high sulphur content.

Separately available fuel additives, thinners, or similar agents may not be mixed with the diesel. If faults potentially related to fuel characteristics arise while the is vehicle in motion, we recommend that you go to a qualified workshop to have the fault analysed. Volkswagen recommends using a Volkswagen dealership for this purpose. Special cleaning service additives are available from Volkswagen dealerships. These can help remedy malfunctions caused by deposits in the engine and fuel system. Only use Volkswagen-approved service additives in the approved quantity.

Based on that info I would ditch the Miller's and stick with Shell V Power Diesel.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2018, 12:59 »
So VW are saying don't use any additives but then come to us and we'll sell you some special cleaning additives!! Stick with the Millers and good quality fuel and it'll be fine.

Offline CodeMonkey

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2018, 07:22 »
Thanks you the replies. It does seem strange doesn't it, you must not add any additives to your fuel but if you pay us a lot of money we will do it for you. I think I'm going to try 3 or 4 tanks of v power followed by 3 or 4 tanks on normal shell with miller's and see which behaves best. As you said before if I do decide to use miller's I could always use v power every 4th fill. Thanks for your help

Offline jammy_rex

• Just got here
« Reply #9 on: 19 August 2022, 13:34 »
Thanks you the replies. It does seem strange doesn't it, you must not add any additives to your fuel but if you pay us a lot of money we will do it for you. I think I'm going to try 3 or 4 tanks of v power followed by 3 or 4 tanks on normal shell with miller's and see which behaves best. As you said before if I do decide to use miller's I could always use v power every 4th fill. Thanks for your help

Hi CodeMonkey.   I'm just wondering how you got on with using the Millers EcoMax in your GTD?  I'm a newbie here,  my brother has just bought a 2016 Golf GTD (manual) with 70K miles.   I used to use the Millers in my ex-girlfriend's Mondeo ST TDCI, but that was an older style Euro IV engine and whilst it was great for that vehicle, I wonder how you got on with using it in your GTD as I was about to recommend it to my brother, but thought I'd do some research first.  Did you find any improvements in how the engine ran and with fuel economy?   On our first long run in the car we just about cracked 50 mpg using the Eco mode, but it took a bit of coaxing to get it that high.      Many thanks,
Kevin. 
« Last Edit: 19 August 2022, 13:37 by jammy_rex »