Author Topic: First whiteworm :-(  (Read 1897 times)

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
First whiteworm :-(
« on: 01 February 2014, 20:26 »
After all the cr@p weather we've been having lately, gave my GTD a good clean today as it's been a bright, dry day. Found the first eruption of the dreaded whiteworm near the centre on one of my diamond cut Charlestons, which wasn't there 2 weeks ago when I last cleaned it. :angry:

As the car's still under warranty, and the wheel is otherwise un-marked, I'm hoping it will be replaced without any issues.

Might treat myself and get some BBS CH-R's in either silver or anthracite, which should be immune from whiteworm, and store the Charlestons until the time comes to sell my GTD.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Jimmgc51

• Here all the time
Re: First whiteworm :-(
« Reply #1 on: 01 February 2014, 20:54 »
Yeah take them in! Something I never did with my whitworm but I bought second hand an even thoug still under warranty I just thought they would use that against me.

Mine has never spread though, it's in all alloys but doesn't look any worse than when I got it.
Golf GTI 09, CW, Bi-Xenon, DCC, 18" Monza's, Jakarta, RNS510, Dynaudio, F&R parking sensors, Winter pack...

Ibiza Deep House mix for DL - https://soundcloud.com/jimmgc51/getting-deep-with-house

Offline dubber36

• Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 01 February 2014, 21:14 »
If it's right next to the center cap, it's probably been nicked on the centering pin of a tyre fitting machine. I've got the tiniest bit on one of my wheels. I've kept putting a blob of wax on it and it's got no worse in over a year.
Red Mk6 gone replaced with a white Mk7 which has gone too. Green Mk2 here to stay.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 01 February 2014, 21:41 »
If it's right next to the center cap, it's probably been nicked on the centering pin of a tyre fitting machine. I've got the tiniest bit on one of my wheels. I've kept putting a blob of wax on it and it's got no worse in over a year.

It is near the centre cap but I'm still on the original tyres, so it hasn't been near a tyre fitting machine since it left the factory just over 2.5 years ago.

Like you, I've put some wax on it, until I get it into the dealer.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 02 February 2014, 09:13 »
Mine are starting to go by the centre caps and the cause defiantly was the wheel fitters. But its nearly 4 years old and has 64.5k on the clock. Its time not to care anymore.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.