Author Topic: Timing Chain tensioner Failure List (timing issue)- Please Update with Your Info  (Read 361595 times)

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
WHAT TO LISTEN OUT FOR IF YOU EVEN GET ANY WARNING SIGN

Here is the upload of my engine over the past few weeks and as you can tell its getting worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UF4hyTLVCOQ

Yerp and then try get it in straight away loool - Im going to do another recording this morning (if it starts up)  :laugh:
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline pryda

• Here all the time
hope you get it sorted Ross, my arse would have gone by now. when is it booked in for?

2009 MK6 GTi, Candy White 3dr, Stage 1 Revo, Milltek cat back, H&R SuperSport, RNS510, OSRAM kit

Unphased - NorthWest German/VAG/Retro Meet
Every 3rd Thursday Of The Month
http://www.un-phased.co.uk/

Offline RocketRossUK

• I live here
hope you get it sorted Ross, my arse would have gone by now. when is it booked in for?

I have been once already. I took it to VW Bradford where they told me it wasnt that bad and didnt realy know about the issue. Spoke to the tech and head of service, they didnt fill me with confidence. He said "I think we could fix it,its worth a shout as we can charge the warrant company £700 so we will make some money on it."

So i thought no thanks, and after reading Neils review for the VW @ Crosshill i thought i would give him a call. Totally different opinion about it, he was very knowledgeable and pretty much guaranteed me that he would be able to get this through under warranty and it will totally resolved the issue. Also a courtesy car for as long as i needed it.

but the earliest time was 7th of January. So just hoping it will make it.
MK6 GTI CSG | Revo Stage 2 | Revo Stage 2 Intake | Milltek 3" TB Exhaust | SuperPro Anti Lift Kit | H&R ARB's | Bilstein B12 | TT Short Shifter |Mintex M1144 Race Pads | HEL Braided Lines |

MK5 GTI - DSG + Extras (Sold because DSG was Soooo Boring !!!)

Offline Olifran

• GTI forum regular
Hi
Just wondering how many of the failed tensioners are on re mapped cars? Could this add to the likely hood of this happening? I'm a recent owner of an 11 plate GTI with only 16k on and toying with a stage 1 in new year.

Also will VW change the tensioner for the new type if I ask them or will they argue against it?

Thanks
Chris.
Now - MK7.5 R in Pure White with DCC.
Gone - 2014 Mk7 GTI DSG Pure White - Discover Nav - Park Assist - Winter Pack.

Offline gazareth

• I live here
nah it has nowt to do with engine maps. Vauxhalls are starting to have the same issues with slipping chains aswell.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
Hi
Just wondering how many of the failed tensioners are on re mapped cars? Could this add to the likely hood of this happening? I'm a recent owner of an 11 plate GTI with only 16k on and toying with a stage 1 in new year.

Also will VW change the tensioner for the new type if I ask them or will they argue against it?

Thanks
Chris.
Read my post on page one.  It explains what fails. If you still dont understand it I will try and explain it further.

11 plate cars have an uprated tensioner compared to 09 early 10 cars (see my post on page 1).
It can still fail on 2011 cars but the failure rate world wide seems to be less

Milage or power also have nothing to do with it, think when is the ratchet used?  :wink:

VW will change it but charge you ~ £1200 They only replace things that fail under warrenty (also see my post on page 2)
« Last Edit: 22 December 2013, 10:29 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline legg360

• GTI forum regular
As far as the dates go will that be build date or registration? I'm guessing build??

Is there any way I can find out if I have the old or revised tensioner as my car was registered June 2010. If it's build date chances are it's going to have the old one  :cry:
Golf GTI MK6 5dr Manual - Candy White with Jacara Cloth, Vancouver 18" Alloys, RNS 510, Cruise Control, Carbon Vinyl Wrap Roof, Milltek 3" Race Cat Back.

Offline MikeT

• GTI forum regular
  • I don't need no stinkin clutch pedal...
10 plate 61,000 miles April 2013 New engine £1000 100% labour 0% parts

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
10 plate 61,000 miles April 2013 New engine £1000 100% labour 0% parts
Does that meen vw paid for the engine and you paid for the labour as it seems odd if its the other way round.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline spiderman

• Not said much yet
Dude

mine wasn't a part rebuild it was a new engine, plus the turbo, intercooler, etc :wink:

Sandy
Looking something classic