Author Topic: Modded Wiring loom on Valver  (Read 2505 times)

Offline ttelracs

• Not said much yet
  • The Fettler
Modded Wiring loom on Valver
« on: 02 December 2012, 00:05 »
Modified the wiring loom tonight through adding a relay and taking the power directly from the battery. Bought a 4 pin relay from Maplin, £ 2.99, a 20 amp in line fuse, suitable wiriing and some connectors.  Spent about an hour off and on putting the relay and wiring together in the living room and then bolted the relay to the bracket off the expansion tank.
Spliced it into existing wiring and then switch on the lights.  Nothing.

It would help if I put the fuse in and then it worked.  Unsure if much brighter as I need to try them out on the country lanes locally as this is what prompted this in the first place.  If not satisfied, then I'll uprate the bulbs to Xenons and if no joy then, I'll source some new headlamps.  Maybe I'll get the beam adjusted before getting the headlamps and stick to doing the basics first.

I've seen ready made looms on ebay for between £ 15 and £ 32 and thought I could do that, but if you're after the easier option, simply buy one ready made.

Here's the link I found which helped massively as it was very easy to follow.

http://www.matey-matey.com/uprated_headlight_wiring.shtml

Enjoy.

Offline thai-wronghorse

• Serious forum addict
  • mk1 Seat Leon FR TDI
Re: Modded Wiring loom on Valver
« Reply #1 on: 16 December 2012, 22:23 »
Did you check the voltage to the bulbs before and after to see if it had risen with the direct wiring?

VW BUSH

« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2012, 17:18 »
Did you check the voltage to the bulbs before and after to see if it had risen with the direct wiring?
also what is your alternator putting out?
Battery and alternator will govern how much brighter your lights will be.

Offline ttelracs

• Not said much yet
  • The Fettler
« Reply #3 on: 04 January 2013, 22:44 »
Regarding the voltage and ampage I never did a before and after AND I have a multimeter !

I have since added two extra earths to each headlamp which seemed to improve output even further BUT I must have used the wrong wiring for earth which I routed directly to the chassis as my main beam  no longer works when the engine is running.

It works with just engine off though so a minor error which I will need to sort this weekend.