Author Topic: vr6 won't turn over  (Read 5348 times)

Offline gez110

• Not said much yet
vr6 won't turn over
« on: 02 September 2012, 21:54 »
Hi Guys,

I have a 96 VR6. I bought it as an accidient damage repairable. The only way I can start it is by pushing it and bump starting.

The battery has 12.65 volts but drops to 6 volts when I try to start. Ive tried a heavy duty battery from my daily mk5 tdi and it made no difference. I've tested the starter motor outside the car and it works fine. The engine seems to be held back somehow. I've even removed all the plugs and tried to turn it over. It did turn over slowly but soon stopped. I've also tried a direct feed to the starter without success

Any idea's? Could it be a seized alternator or air con compressor? Or does it sound like my engines seizing up?

Cheers

Steve

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
Re: vr6 won't turn over
« Reply #1 on: 03 September 2012, 09:02 »
Are you sure the starter motor is not dead/dying?

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline gez110

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 03 September 2012, 12:23 »
Hi

Thanks for the reply, its the third starter I've tried. It engages and spins fine out of the car and you can hear it enage when fitted to the car so i'm fairly sure its ok. It does get very hot. Do you know any other way to test the starter?

Cheers

Steve

Offline sharki786

• I live here
  • GOT BOOST??
« Reply #3 on: 03 September 2012, 13:34 »
sure you got the right type (AMP & CCA) as vr6's need more power from the battery to turn & fire.
*****MK3 Anniversary*****
*****MK4 GTI T*****

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #4 on: 03 September 2012, 15:33 »
Could be the starter is earthed badly. Worth checking the earth points underneath the battery tray or run a separate earth with a jump lead and see if it makes any difference.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline GOLF-MK3-GTI

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 03 September 2012, 16:52 »
Hi Guys,

I have a 96 VR6. I bought it as an accidient damage repairable. The only way I can start it is by pushing it and bump starting.

The battery has 12.65 volts but drops to 6 volts when I try to start. Ive tried a heavy duty battery from my daily mk5 tdi and it made no difference. I've tested the starter motor outside the car and it works fine. The engine seems to be held back somehow. I've even removed all the plugs and tried to turn it over. It did turn over slowly but soon stopped. I've also tried a direct feed to the starter without success

Any idea's? Could it be a seized alternator or air con compressor? Or does it sound like my engines seizing up?

Cheers

Steve

Cant the above highlighted make the chain jump a tooth or two??

Offline Gti_Jamo

• I live here
  • 1991 Corrado 1.8 G60
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2012, 16:58 »
Doubt it would jump a tooth but bump starting isn't good for the chains thats for sure.

97' Mk3 Golf Gti 2.0 8v Rebuild Project http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=208865.0

Offline gez110

• Not said much yet
« Reply #7 on: 03 September 2012, 20:30 »
sure you got the right type (AMP & CCA) as vr6's need more power from the battery to turn & fire.

I've tried the battery of my 2.0 TDI which exceeds the battery spec for the VR.

Offline gez110

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 03 September 2012, 20:35 »
Could be the starter is earthed badly. Worth checking the earth points underneath the battery tray or run a separate earth with a jump lead and see if it makes any difference.

I've checked the earth points under the tray, they looked clean and rust free, but will remove and clean them up to be sure.

Offline gez110

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 03 September 2012, 20:37 »
Doubt it would jump a tooth but bump starting isn't good for the chains thats for sure.

I agree, I've only done it twice. 1st time before i bought it to check it did run and the second time when i backed of the trailer  so I could get it up my drive