Author Topic: Losing coolant, reassure me!  (Read 5651 times)

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
Losing coolant, reassure me!
« on: 25 August 2012, 13:17 »
I have a Mk3 8 valve GTI, and during the 150 mile drive to the in laws last night the water temp/ level light came on and would not extinguish. The temperature dial did not move over 90 at any point so I carried on.

Checked coolant level this morning and was pretty low.

Fearing the worst I checked the oil filler cap and dip stick and to my relief, no mayo. :)

Then I noticed some fluid around the head, it was wet and as you can see obviously pink and therefore coolant.

I think its coming from this plastic thing that connects to the head, and running down the block.

I'm not amazingly mechanically minded but I'm guessing all the evidence suggests a leaky seal rather than a headgasket problem? And is it a cheap ans easy part to replace?

Thanks for your anticipated help and reassurance!

Offline Deano2711

• I live here
  • 1992 VR6
Re: Losing coolant, reassure me!
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2012, 13:27 »
Just as a precaution because your light came on and the car never went above 90 I would change the temp sensor. My old 8v never went above 90 and the head gasket had gone. Faulty temp sensor was a problem and cost about 9 quid from GSF.

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
  • VCDS and VCP - fault codes, coding, VIM activation
« Reply #2 on: 30 August 2012, 17:39 »
Mate, all you need it the coolant hose flange and the seal for it. In my experience it's not much point replacing only the seal. The flange deteriorates over time and becomes brittle which is why even replacing just the seal does not help for long.

You'll need 037121132E as well as a blanking plug, O-ring and clip for the plug as it's got two apertures for temp sensors whereas your's got only one, part number 357121140S. If you need one I got a new one lying around (fitted to my car just before I scrapped it, but removed since it was new), just send me a PM or email.

Temp sensor does not need to be replaced if it is not always stuck on 90 right from when you turn the ignition on, just measure it through the temp range with a multimeter.

2019 Seat Leon ST FR DSG 135kW - eclipse orange - 23k miles

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #3 on: 31 August 2012, 14:42 »
I might just be missing something but I don't seem to be able to send PMs. I have ordered the flange from GSF, didn't realise I needed a blanking plug. Going to enquire with VW about getting one otherwise I will have that off you.

Offline brett

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 31 August 2012, 17:14 »
you need 1 more post before you can send pms mate

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 31 August 2012, 20:44 »
GSF also have the blanking plug, clip and o-ring. They should be able to find that for you when you pick it up.

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 03 September 2012, 16:52 »
Thanks got all the parts now, just need to fit them!

Offline Callum_K

• Here all the time
« Reply #7 on: 10 November 2012, 03:16 »
Update on this, I have replaced both the front and side coolant flanges and I'm still losing coolant, but no idea where from! No signs of a leak and the system is holding pressure. Don't know where to go from here!

Offline DCmk3

• Here all the time
« Reply #8 on: 10 November 2012, 10:14 »
Is the thermostat housing not leaking? Or the water pump not leaking between itself and the block?
Feel the interior carpets at the front, are they damp at all?

2014 Mk7 GTI - Littco L500

Offline itavaltalainen

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 10 November 2012, 11:09 »
Look down the front of the engine on the side where all the belts are.
Under the alternator you got the water pump, below that is the power steering pump.
The p/s pump is mounted on the block with a bracket, now look on that bracket. Any coolant there? If yes most likely thermostat housing...

If you want I got a water pump including thermostat, flange, pulley etc sitting around. I have bought it from GSF car parts and fitted it to my old Golf, well 2 weeks after fitting suspension gave in and it had done well over 200,000 miles and had rust issues I scrapped the car. Got receipt for it somewhere still as well.
I would be happy to get rid of it complete for a reasonable price.