Author Topic: Golf R or Gti?  (Read 8381 times)

Offline WilkoGTI

• Not said much yet
Golf R or Gti?
« on: 13 April 2010, 20:19 »
Guys,

sorry if this has already been asked, but as the subject suggests, R or GTI?
I almost ordered my new car but came away from the dealer pondering over the R. Now, with the type of spec'd Gti I would get, it would be a few grand short of getting an R.
But I am really undecided on which one to get.

The R certainly does look sportier (I think) but what are the main differences?

If some said to you that you had to chose, what would it be?

Offline GolfTi

• I live here
  • ..gotta feel for my automobile..
Re: Golf R or Gti?
« Reply #1 on: 13 April 2010, 20:22 »
I think most on here have already chosen.

Both fantastic cars.

What's your price range and what do need it for? You can probably answer your question yourself.
Mk7 GTI. DBP, DCC, Winter pack. Mine since new, July 2013.
GTI no. 4. Golf no. 5.  VW no. 7.

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #2 on: 13 April 2010, 20:23 »
Its all down to what you want. Theres big pros and cons for each. Only you can  pick.
The R is 4wd uses more fuel, costs more to tax, costs more to service, costs more to run, has the less well known badge. But its faster, has more off the line grip, more stealth looks.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline WilkoGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 13 April 2010, 20:36 »
The R is just within my price range including spec's. But like someone said, I don't know if I would welcome the higher tax, paying extra for fuel.

I guess I would like it because I think they maybe far and few between although the current Gti is not too common at the moment.

As you guys say, its only me that can decide but I was just thinking on other opinions

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 13 April 2010, 20:47 »
The R is just within my price range including spec's. But like someone said, I don't know if I would welcome the higher tax, paying extra for fuel.

Its all about personal preference.  As GolfTi says, most people on here have already ordered / got their cars - so will be giving a biased opinion!

For me, I chose the Golf R.  The extra road tax is like £20 a year more than the GTI - so thats not really a consideration.
The fuel is supposed to be almpost 34mpg on the R and 38mpg on the GTI... but both are probably based on driving 55mph with no traffic!  Again, not a HUGE difference, especially considering the difference between the MK5 R32 v GTI.

Remember - comparing the cost of a well specced GTI against the standard R isn't really fair.  Spec up the R to the level you want and then compare the costs.  There will probably be about £4-5k difference by the time you factor in the R already has 18" wheels and xenon lights.

Either way, both are great cars
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline WilkoGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 13 April 2010, 20:50 »

Its all about personal preference.  As GolfTi says, most people on here have already ordered / got their cars - so will be giving a biased opinion!

For me, I chose the Golf R.  The extra road tax is like £20 a year more than the GTI - so thats not really a consideration.
The fuel is supposed to be almpost 34mpg on the R and 38mpg on the GTI... but both are probably based on driving 55mph with no traffic!  Again, not a HUGE difference, especially considering the difference between the MK5 R32 v GTI.

Remember - comparing the cost of a well specced GTI against the standard R isn't really fair.  Spec up the R to the level you want and then compare the costs.  There will probably be about £4-5k difference by the time you factor in the R already has 18" wheels and xenon lights.

Either way, both are great cars

Thanks p3eps,

Are you on the rforum at all?.

Do you mind me asking what your insurance premium is?

Offline p3eps

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 13 April 2010, 20:54 »
Are you on the rforum at all?.

Do you mind me asking what your insurance premium is?

Yeah, I'm on the R forum.  I don't have insurance yet as the car isn't due until the weekend (I'm jumping to assumptions as it was on the boat on Saturday!!) - but the best quote I have is a little over £350 fully comp and protected NCB.  Bearing in mind I'm 32 years old with 13 years no claims discount... although I had a 'no fault' write off last year and a fault claim the year before.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: 13 April 2010, 21:03 by p3eps »
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #7 on: 13 April 2010, 20:55 »
Insurance isn't that dear on them!!!
I was quoted £272 fully comp.
There is a thread here http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=138392.0
HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline WilkoGTI

• Not said much yet
« Reply #8 on: 13 April 2010, 21:05 »
Insurance isn't that dear on them!!!
I was quoted £272 fully comp.
There is a thread here http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=138392.0
[/quote

Cheers p3eps,

I shall have a look. I bet you can not wait for the weekend to come.
Will you be sharing any pics at all  :rolleyes:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #9 on: 13 April 2010, 21:07 »
Until the goverment start messing with the bands again and it ends up been a huge difference as they will...
The fuel is supposed to be almost 34mpg on the R and 38mpg on the GTI... but both are probably based on driving 55mph with no traffic!  Again, not a HUGE difference, especially considering the difference between the MK5 R32 v GTI.
34mpg :grin:  A mate has a TTS and its not doing anywere near 34mpg on the same route i do every morning and she drives smoother than me. Unlike the mk6 GTI which seems alot better on fuel than the mk5 was which suprised me.

Both are great cars but the R will be alot more to run, cambelt changes, haldex oil/filter changes, fuel, tax.

But if you have the money and the future running costs are nothing to you, then i would say probably the R would be the choice i would go for.

And im amazed at how little you guys are paying for insurance as its gone up massive twice in the past few months mines more or less doubled.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2010, 21:16 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.