Author Topic: *****ATTENTION - "White" GTI and GT owners*****  (Read 8986 times)

Offline bruin3182

• Not said much yet
Re: *****ATTENTION - "White" GTI and GT owners*****
« Reply #20 on: 11 October 2009, 15:11 »
Well thanks for everyones input... I will keep you updated as to what happens when the dealers get back to me.

If anyone else has any useful pointers - please get back to me.

But - call me awkward - I don't think it should be down to me to use a clay bar to remove black spots from paint off a brand new car - especially when the paint has not properly cured yet!!
Up until the morning of Tuesday 27th October 2009.... A one Month (700 mile old) MkVI GTI - Candy white - 3 door - Zenons - RCD 510 - Dynaudio - Monza Shadows

Offline howlingmoon

• Here all the time
« Reply #21 on: 11 October 2009, 15:15 »
Hi, the black defect that I had on my car was subsequently removed by the dealer after getting approval from VW... apparently the black spot (which looks like a tiny brush stroke) got onto the car before the lacquer was sprayed on. In any case, I found out about it after my first washing of the car... So I feel for you bruin...

HM
GTI Mk6 United Grey, 18" Monza Shadows, RNS310, Executive Package, ACC

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #22 on: 11 October 2009, 15:29 »
I don't understand why someone don't want to order a white one because of this, i mean, if it's getting on the white car's, why can it get to the other colours?

Yeah, but if I can't see it, I won't care!
Golf R

Offline bruin3182

• Not said much yet
« Reply #23 on: 11 October 2009, 18:30 »
Having thought about this... Surely the worst thing that can be done to brand new paint is to apply some kind of abrassive method, be it claybar, t-cut etc...

Is it true that new paint takes some time to harden off???

Sorry guys... But this is really p&&sing me off...!

The other comment from the dealers is grating me now... "well sir, maybe someone as meticulous as you shouldn't have bought a White car"!!

I feel that they are just gonna keep fobbing me off or jut do a claybar job on my new paint and I will be none the wiser!!!

Up until the morning of Tuesday 27th October 2009.... A one Month (700 mile old) MkVI GTI - Candy white - 3 door - Zenons - RCD 510 - Dynaudio - Monza Shadows

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • A.K.A. Geoff.
« Reply #24 on: 11 October 2009, 18:58 »
If your not happy take it to a different dealer.
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline gjf

• Not said much yet
« Reply #25 on: 11 October 2009, 20:37 »
Using a claybar will not damage the paint if used correctly - its prob what the bodyshop will use anyway.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #26 on: 11 October 2009, 21:31 »
I thought a clay bar will only take off surface nicks/dots/grime etc. By the sounds of what the original poster is saying, these black dots are actually flush/in with the white paint. From my understanding a clay bar wont help here. ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline bruin3182

• Not said much yet
« Reply #27 on: 12 October 2009, 00:00 »
Thats correct... It seems to me the bock specs areflush with the paint because I can't even feel them
 with my nail if I rub it over them gently.

So if a clay bar won't get them off what will they use??? 

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #28 on: 12 October 2009, 00:35 »
Thats correct... It seems to me the bock specs areflush with the paint because I can't even feel them
 with my nail if I rub it over them gently.

So if a clay bar won't get them off what will they use??? 

I'm not sure buddy, without pics its hard to tell. If its what I am imagining them to be like, then these 'specks' may not be on top/flush with the paint. They may be right down to the primer. In that case, t-cut wont help, it would be a full respray of the panel and if its all over the car, then a full respray of the car.

Unless the pro detailers want to correct me if I'm wrong.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline yeahpj

• Just got here
« Reply #29 on: 12 October 2009, 04:07 »
If the dealer is being rubbish, threaten to bring your lawyer into the situation.. might get them moving abit..