Author Topic: *****ATTENTION - "White" GTI and GT owners*****  (Read 8987 times)

Offline bruin3182

• Not said much yet
*****ATTENTION - "White" GTI and GT owners*****
« on: 10 October 2009, 13:25 »
I have now had my brand new Mk6 White GTI a week and a half.... I cleaned it about 4 days ago... read on....

As I got to the rear bumper I noticed black speckles on the paintwork - very small with the appearance of Tar spots - they didn't wipe off and I couldn't feel them with my nail - I was reluctant to use tar spot remover as I have had the AutoGlym Lifeshine package put on (now I know some of you will scoff at this - but please bare with me).

As I worked my way around to the offside of the bumper near to the offside rear wheel arch I then noticed light yellow oil coloured speckles like spray from the wheels.... This didn't come off either and it could not be felt.
This was now becoming a less than pleasurable 1st car cleaning experience - I the started to look closer at the car and saw the black speckles on nearly every panel below the window level..... these can only be seen from about 6" away and closer - but are nevertheless pretty obvious!

So, my first thoughts were that the Lifeshine had not been applied to a perfectly clean car and had therefore sealed the contaminates under the sealant - I called Autoglym who were more than helpful - took my details and explained that I should go back to the dealer and speak with them.

I then called the dealership who told me that it was no problem "bring the car back in - we'll strip the autoglym - fully valet the exterior to remove the marks then re-apply the lifeshine"..... Great I thought.

Then  yesterday I made the phonecall to see if all was well..... the reply I had was "Well, we've managed to get most of it off"!!!
So just 3 hours ago I went to pick up my car and was greeted by none other than the sales manager - who explained that the yellow stains on both rear wheel arches looked to be some kind of oil based contaminate that had actually stained the paint - he sadi they would re-spray the area  but I was to be advised that "IT WAS SOMETHING THAT WILL PROBABLY HAPPEN AGAIN AND I MIGHT JUST HAVE TO LIVE WITH IT.... OR BUY MUDGUARDS"!!!  He went on to say that these were the first white plastic bumpers they have sold on a car and it might just be an un-fortunate part of having a white car!!

This - as you can imagine - I was not happy about (having paid the best part of £25,000 for the car)!

It gets better.... I then went outside to check the car - and noticed that all of the tiny black specs were still all over the car - I pointed this out to him and he was a little surprised.... and went to fetch the paint bloke?? - He had a look and then tried to tell me "Well, they're built in a FACTORY - and you know, there's metal and dust in the air - this can get into the paint"!!!!!!
The sales manager then said he would do his best and try and get it sorted - he is confident that these black specs can be removed (I'm not sure how) - So at this point I have left the car with them.....

NOW - what I want to know is - IS THIS JUST ME - or has anyone else out there got NEW white GTI or GT with these same marks on ESPECIALLY THE ONES ON THE RAER BUMPER.... Please look closely!
As I want to know how to proceed with this.... Or am I just to expect it from a white car and should I really not expect a perfect poduct??

At this moment I would quite happily hand it back and pick up my old silver MK5 GTI off the forecourt and drive it home!!! DO I HAVE A COOLING OFF PERIOD WITH A NEW CAR?????

HELP!
Up until the morning of Tuesday 27th October 2009.... A one Month (700 mile old) MkVI GTI - Candy white - 3 door - Zenons - RCD 510 - Dynaudio - Monza Shadows

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
Re: *****ATTENTION - "White" GTI and GT owners*****
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2009, 13:30 »
any chance of some pics ?

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Fred_du_94

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 10 October 2009, 13:32 »
I don't know really, I haven't got a MK6.
However, I ofently heard that the paint needs a month to settle.

Therefore useing the whole machinery Autoglym might have been an ENORMOUS mistake.

There is nothing better than elbow oil. And the best part, it is free  :shocked:

Offline bruin3182

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2009, 13:33 »
sorry - car at dealers - no pics!
Up until the morning of Tuesday 27th October 2009.... A one Month (700 mile old) MkVI GTI - Candy white - 3 door - Zenons - RCD 510 - Dynaudio - Monza Shadows

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #4 on: 10 October 2009, 13:34 »
Sounds to me as if the car was badly painted/prepared in the factory to begin with. If I were you, I would reject the car and get them to replace it with a new one. If there are as many spots and defects as you say, it shouldn't be difficult. Try to get things in writing, even at this early stage (e.g. proof that the dealer has kept the car).

Offline bruin3182

• Not said much yet
« Reply #5 on: 10 October 2009, 13:38 »
Does anyone know for certain??? Have I got any grounds or legal rights to reject the car??

Offline avalon

• Here all the time
« Reply #6 on: 10 October 2009, 13:49 »
Re Grounds for replacement: what about the old phrase 'merchantable quality'. Is that still valid these days - maybe the listerwho's had that heap of trouble with his mark vi can advise?

Ava
GTi DSG 5 Door Candy White [MY11]

Offline mac7

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 10 October 2009, 14:25 »
This has been mentioned by others, in the bottom two posts on this page:

http://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=129833.20
Golf R

Offline hobbiniho

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 10 October 2009, 15:13 »
am i not right in thinking that in most if not all modern production lines the cars are painted by robots in hermetically sealed rooms meaning that there is no chance for dust and crap to get into the paint?? i would reject it as you say you have paid a lot for a car and you are nopt getting what you payed for

Offline bruin3182

• Not said much yet
« Reply #9 on: 10 October 2009, 15:50 »
I've done about 500 miles in this car So I'm not sure they'll have it back....