Author Topic: 'Chipping' the mk 6 GTI - in laymans terms!  (Read 9511 times)

Offline p3eps

• I live here
Re: 'Chipping' the mk 6 GTI - in laymans terms!
« Reply #10 on: 02 September 2009, 09:17 »
I enquired about getting my Edition 30 chipped a while back.  The insurance premium was only going to go up about £50 per year - but the excess was going to go from £400 - £800!  :laugh:
At the time I was 30 years old with about 10 years no claims bonus!
Golf R... 3 door, DSG, Leather, Reflex Silver, Black 19" Talladega Wheels, ACC, Parking Sensors, RNS510 with Dynaudio, Reverse Camera, Luxury Pack, Cruise Control & Fiscon Bluetooth.

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #11 on: 02 September 2009, 09:20 »
Superchips seem to be saying that the true output of the standard engine is 220hp and that their device increases power by 49hp to... err... 256hp. I can't quite get my head round their maths there and TBH it is putting me off buying their equipment a little. Have I missed something?

http://www.superchips.co.uk/curves/GolfMk6GTi.pdf

Std quoted bhp is 207 so 49 extra woudl take it to 256. Perhaps these are "at the wheel" figures and 220 is the "true" engine output, ie with no loss from transmission?

Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #12 on: 02 September 2009, 11:48 »
Std quoted bhp is 207 so 49 extra woudl take it to 256. Perhaps these are "at the wheel" figures and 220 is the "true" engine output, ie with no loss from transmission?

You may be right, but it's still an odd, not to say misleading way of providing key figures.

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 02 September 2009, 15:16 »
Its usually percentage bhp increase they ask you.. so as long as you get the gains correct as opposed to the wheel/engine bhp you should be ok. :smiley:

Offline Teutonic_Tamer

• Forum addict
  • GreasedMonkey - HoofHearted - GTI now mod'ed, ASK!
« Reply #14 on: 03 September 2009, 23:37 »
Superchips seem to be saying that the true output of the standard engine is 220hp and that their device increases power by 49hp to... err... 256hp. I can't quite get my head round their maths there and TBH it is putting me off buying their equipment a little. Have I missed something?

Avoid - seriously!
Sean - Independent Automotive Engineering Technician (ret'd)
-----
'06/7 Golf Mk5 GTI 5dr (BWA) DSG, colour coded,

I feel like a homo

Offline keelaw

• I live here
  • It's here!
« Reply #15 on: 03 September 2009, 23:53 »

Avoid - seriously!

why?
Mk6 Golf GTI 5dr, DBP, Monza Shadow, Xenons, ACC, RCD510, Park Assist, Camera, Lux pack.... and now bluetooth.... and now DSG!

Offline rjwojcik

• Here all the time
« Reply #16 on: 04 September 2009, 00:44 »
Funny you should ask, I also asked the same innocent question not too long ago and got the following reply.  I assume the same applies to anyone else who mentions Superchips (hope you don't mind me quoting you, TT?):

I'm surprised about the comments regarding Superchips, I was thinking about using them as a) they are involved with the VW Racing, so assumed they had expertise in the VW range of engines

Jeeeeeezz.  Search this forum - seriously!

Firstly, Superchips do NOT have anything to do with VW Racing - appart from paying shed loads of money to have their name on the side of all the cars in the VW Racing Cup.  They do NOT do the tuning on the cars - they are all free to use whoever they like, and most will use either Revo, GIAC, or VWRs own map.  Superchips have, in the past (I can't comment about now, because I can't be arsed with them) - been known to blatantly LIE and mislead on their own website.

Secondly, they do NOT have expertise in VW engines.  The Fifth Gear test used either a Mk4 Golf or a Mk4 Polo (can't remember which) - Fifth Gear specifically instructed Superchips to create a 'specific' custom map, and they actually made it WORSE!.  Look on Superchips website - and you will see they 'claim' to be experts in every single car in the UK - from a Mk5 GTI - to a Lada Riva, to a Proton Wira, to a Perodua Nippa - so how the fcuk can they claim to be experts on VAG products.  Superchips have been repeatedly proven to be blatantly underdeveloped, and often make LESS power than stock - just log onto Audi-Sport.net, and as the S3 owners, and indeed, some Ed30 owners here also had probs with less power than claimed.  Superchips use a very 'dangerous' method of 'remaping' - by simply whacking up the turbo boost to levels which verge on the extreme - but don't bother to work on any of the other 30 or so tables within the ECU map!  :rolleyes:

Just out of interest, TT, if you had to chip a golf tomorrow using your own "pie and mash" which suppliers would you consider and which would you avoid?
Current:
2018 RS4  - Navarra Blue / Black
Gone:
2016 A6 BiTDI - Midnight Blue / Black
2016 Golf GTD with a "lot" of toys
2016 M3 CP - Mineral Grey / Black
2009 135i - Le Mans Blue / Black

Offline jaydubveedub

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 04 September 2009, 07:47 »
You would be best to run the car in before getting it remapped, maybe 8-10K miles.
2003 Passat 1.9 Sport TDI Wagon | Inky Blue | Lots of Wax

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #18 on: 04 September 2009, 07:59 »
place your bet now!!! what map would TT go for????

I vote REVO!!

Offline FroGTI

• I live here
  • Wheel nut
« Reply #19 on: 04 September 2009, 08:58 »
"Look on Superchips website - and you will see they 'claim' to be experts in every single car in the UK - from a Mk5 GTI - to a Lada Riva, to a Proton Wira, to a Perodua Nippa - so how the fcuk can they claim to be experts on VAG products"

Hmm, that is quite true actually. Good point. So, are we all agreed that Revo is the best option, then? If so, maybe we could organise some kind of group buy to bring the price down a bit?