Author Topic: Colour threat to values  (Read 5915 times)

Offline gizzywizzy

• I live here
  • Black is definitely the stealthiest colour!!
Colour threat to values
« on: 20 July 2009, 10:26 »
"White is the new black - but today's most valuable colours may not be so appealing when you come to trade in your vehicle, claims the latest research.
British car auction (BCA) has just published details on the most popular used car colours sold in the first three months of the year - and the results favour tradionally 'safer' choices such as silver, blue and black.
In 2008 blue was the most common colour, but it has now been overtaken by silver, which accounted for a huge 25% of the 125,000 cars in the survey.  The biggest mover in the BCA 'colour chart' was black, which added nearly 6% to its 2008 total.  But as with fashionable clothing, bodywork paint choices can be a fickle game - as motor makers follow the latest trends through the highs and lows.
On nealy new vehicles, buyers can often be tempted by shades that are 'in' only to find they are no longer desirable when the time comes to sell a few years down the line - and that their model is then worth less than a silver car with a similar spec.
A BCA spokesman said " while fashionable colours - such as the high-impact white finishes are very appealing now, the worry is that they can just as quickly become deeply unfashionable.  In the same way, limited-edition models with over fussy colour schemes tend to date quickly"

Taken from Auto Express magazine 15-21 July
Deep Black Pearl Mk7 GT TDI 150.

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
Re: Colour threat to values
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2009, 11:48 »
"A good horse is never a bad colour."

Rolfe.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2009, 12:10 »
I seem to remember, but I'm probably wrong, that it was the mk5 GTI that made white fashionable again. And that was mostly to do with the contrast between the black skirts and bumper bits and the white together with the polished alloy of the Monza IIs which just looks so right in the sunlight or under artificial light. So a white mk6 should similarly look superb in white as long as it's specced with the Shadows.

Now white is everywhere.

I remember seeing Audi at the Brum Motorshow back in the nineties which had a stand featuring all silver cars as they were pushing their aluminium bodies at the time. Next thing you know every other car on the road was silver, from Protons to Porsches.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline R32UK

• Forum addict
« Reply #3 on: 20 July 2009, 13:50 »
A car can only be white if its the top of the range imo :grin:

Offline gc76

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4 on: 20 July 2009, 13:55 »
Absolute b*****cks. Won't make a slight bit of difference unless you get a pink sparkly car.
Tornado Red 5 door GTI, DSG, Monza Shadows, Lux Pack, RCD510, Park Assist & FT indicator

"Sounds just like a Golf"

Offline Ticalion

• Not said much yet
  • 91 Golf 2 5dr 16v
« Reply #5 on: 20 July 2009, 16:06 »
Yes but VW made more mk4 Golfs in silver than all the other colours combined, so its horses for courses but as has been said unless its piss yellow, dildo pink, or vomit green, I don't think it will make that much difference.

As for who started it, I watched a program on the TV that claimed Mercedes Bens were the instigators of the silver trend supposedly it was used as it reflected the colours of the surrounding landscape better on their adverts.

Offline VWKev

• I live here
  • Please Support Non-Human Rights
« Reply #6 on: 20 July 2009, 16:12 »
Absolute b*****cks. Won't make a slight bit of difference unless you get a pink sparkly car.

Agreed.

GTI mk6, 3dr Manual (Yes Manual! If I wanted a Taxi I'd hail one, not spend £1500 on one), Candy White, Full Leather, Xenons, ACC, 18", RCD510 + Dynaudio, DAB Radio, Winter Pack, Luxury Pack, Fiscon Bluetooth Plus, Golf R LED's.

"Some say he drives a Shopping car, and that his car dent was actually a beauty spot....all we know is he's called Captain Failboat"

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 20 July 2009, 16:55 »
I think I'd pass on that day-glo orange the Focus ST comes in, and the Kermit Green of the RS.  And the silly white stripes.

Any normal colour, I'd have thought you'd find a buyer for quite easily if the car itself is good.

Rolfe.

Offline FamilyDub

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 July 2009, 11:27 »
Yes but VW made more mk4 Golfs in silver than all the other colours combined, so its horses for courses but as has been said unless its piss yellow, dildo pink, or vomit green, I don't think it will make that much difference.

Very defty put, sir...

Each to their own, but I think in my sunny part of concrete-land Lanarkshire (central Scotland) white cars look f00kin ridiculous, no matter the brand or price.

But again, each to their own!
MKV GTI | Reflex Silver | 5-dr | Anthracite 17" | Manual | Highline MFD | Cruise | Revision 'D' DV | Dirty Pipes |

The GTD is like a blow up doll. The GTI is like a proper woman. Sure the doll might last longer, and the woman might have higher running costs, but which would you rather have?

Offline Rolfe

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 21 July 2009, 11:40 »
Each to their own, but I think in my sunny part of concrete-land Lanarkshire (central Scotland) white cars look f00kin ridiculous, no matter the brand or price.

But again, each to their own!

OK, I'm all of three miles over the Lanarkshire county boundary here, but I know what you mean.

Those white cars look gorgeous in all the photos taken in the south of France.  And all polished up on the dealer's forecourt.  I was sorely tempted, being as my preferred colour of a metallic mid-blue isn't available.

Then I thought about how a white car would look actually sitting on my driveway in February.

I'm getting the Blue Graphite.

Rolfe.