Author Topic: thirsty and sluggish mk3  (Read 2455 times)

Offline 01664gti

• I live here
  • mk3 hatch mk3 wagon and mk2 16v
thirsty and sluggish mk3
« on: 08 March 2010, 15:06 »
Hi all,My wifes mk3 is being a pain at the min.On first start up or cold  all is well.Then after a minute or two it starts to feel sluggish and like its holding back,The fuel consumption is quite heavy too.I am thinking of changing the ecu temp sensor and also the lambda sensor.Its a mk3 96 1.8 gl and i dont know if i would be barking up the wrong tree but im out of ideas.Also where would i find the part number for the ecu sensor and the lambda????.

Any help would be great guys and once fixed will save my ears aching lol :wink:

Christo77

Re: thirsty and sluggish mk3
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2010, 15:45 »
Hehe..probs eh, and not just with the car  :laugh:
I guess the water temp sensor and the lambda are known things to replace if there's running issues, sounds like you've probably covered the other typical things.. ecu and fuel relays replaced?  just to mention anyway.  
I know there's other possibilities with these but see how you go for now.. I'm sure you'll get ideas from other good chaps here..

Christo

Offline 01664gti

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2010, 15:50 »
I havent touched the relays as yet,I just wondered if theres any other possibilities before i shell out for lambda and ecu sensors

Christo77

« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2010, 16:07 »
Yep there sure are other possibilites but the relays would be a good thing to try first..they're not expensive, about a tenner each and are known to cause running issues..even if they don't cure the prob it's a good one to tick off the list anyway.

The other well known thing is to clean the throttle body internal.. another one is the breather pipes coming off the top left hand side of the engine, these can get gunked up..remove, clean through..The plastic section at the bottom though is a bit weak, can break up if not careful..
I replaced the whole pipe arrangement as a general service practice but it's a bit pricey for what it is.
Also check for air leaks/cracks in pipework and the smaller vacuum pipes.

Sorry if going over old ground, i just assumed to your postage count and 'out of ideas'  that you probably done all these i've mentioned..
Hope it helps anyway  :wink:

Christo77

« Reply #4 on: 08 March 2010, 16:26 »
Ooops!  sorry i thought yours was a 2.0 AGG engine..my mistake..  just that some of my info might not make sense in that case..  :smiley:

Offline 01664gti

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 08 March 2010, 17:31 »
Yeh shes only got a gl,But we have a polo gt and a mk2 gti aswell lol.

I am going to ring the stealer tomorrow for parts,Could anyone please tell me the part numbers please for the lambda and ecu temp sensor for 96 1.8gl :wink:

Offline VWstevo

• GTI forum regular
  • I feel The Need or Speed
« Reply #6 on: 08 March 2010, 21:18 »
Yeh shes only got a gl,But we have a polo gt and a mk2 gti aswell lol.

I am going to ring the stealer tomorrow for parts,Could anyone please tell me the part numbers please for the lambda and ecu temp sensor for 96 1.8gl :wink:

Just give them your reg mate and they can get all the info from that dude.

Offline *tell*

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 08 March 2010, 21:50 »
i would check the rubber mount under the single point injection.
had one go on my old mk3 1.8 8v. with the engine running rock the top
off the plastic cap (thing) on top off the injector and if it changes the idle there
your problem  :shocked:

just my 2p worth

Offline javalin

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 09 March 2010, 08:49 »
hiya

wouldn't touch the lamda yet.

>I am thinking of changing the ecu temp sensor
yes - defo first step.

Second step - check air filter is clean (new is £12 ish) and oil breather pipes (on the front of the engine).

Parts list here - should be similar - but check with dealer for your exact engine code - http://javalins.wordpress.com/vw-golf-mk3/golf-parts/

>i would check the rubber mount under the single point injection. had one go on my old mk3 1.8 8v
Also had that on my old GL - but only affected idle and pulling-off power - not MPG - for me at least.

James
You only ever need two tools in life. If it moves and it shouldn't use Duct Tape. If it does not move and it should, use WD40.

Offline AudiA8Quattro

• Forum addict
« Reply #9 on: 09 March 2010, 09:22 »
+1 to ECU temp sender
FOR DIY GUIDES GO TO <br>www.volkswagenaudi.co.uk<br/>BRAKES, SUSPENSION, CV JOINTS