Author Topic: Ashmond - 'mk4 1.4 bottom of range to 1.8t Dub'  (Read 58606 times)

Offline jv

• Administrator
  • Serious forum addict
Ashmond - 'mk4 1.4 bottom of range to 1.8t Dub'
« on: 25 April 2007, 20:34 »
:)
« Last Edit: 11 May 2008, 22:06 by jv »
Buy site stuff!
GolfGTI.co.uk - merchandise

Support the forum charity!
Forum Charity

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
  • Money, b!tches And Boost
Hi All,

Got a load of pics to show you the conversion so far, should be done this weekend hopefully, have copied from another project thread which was updated weekly, so it may say "today" but you get the idea

Week 1 - 1.4 Paperweight Engine Coming Out

« Last Edit: 16 April 2008, 00:37 by Ashmond »
Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
Re: Ashmond - mk4 1.4 to 1.8T swap
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2007, 10:38 »
Week 2:

Reminder of how my car looks at moment:

The New Lump:

And all the other bits:

Then my VW guy came round, and he really helped clear a few things up, told me I needed the following:

Cable Neck/Shifter
2x Engine Side Mounts
Cat + Downpipe
20v Gearbox
Side Blocks
2 Driveshafts (mine are not suitable)
ECU (you'l see why later in pics)
20v Clutch
Twin Front fans
Brakes
MAF Sensor
Airbox

Its was big list but had got alot of stuff to get rid off, this is what else he said

Firstly both those two boxes I have are uselss:

One Box Is From A Mk3:

One Box Is From A Mk2:

My ECU is f**ked that I initially had, looks like it has been toasted on a camp fire :?

He said he has the engine mounts needed which fit in this part on either side of the engine:

He said the main bit of loom that needs taking out is this 16v Golf/Polo Loom which I have the 20v replacement for:

To get to the ECU, this bit must be taken off and the above loom just comes straight out and unplugs from the ECU

And then this plus in instead:

Then he said we need to take off heatsheild (part a) and take out the part b as it is not needed as its different for the 20v gearbox that will be going in:

Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2007, 10:39 »
Couple more random pictures from sunday and yesterday:

New Hydraulic (6 Gear) Gearbox Linkage:

My sounds waiting for boot build to be done (this weekend), please note new badgless grille and spoiler fresh from spray shop 8)

Had To Take Out 16valve Loom, replace with 20v and get ecu out of here:

Then got bored whilst Mechanical people werent there so deceided to take car apart  :grin:

Had a light out on my heater system so had to take the whole unit out to get to the bulb/led that wasnt working  :D

Look at how many bits there are to take out and check the led that I had to change after all of the effort of taking my dash out basically :lol:

How my driveway looks every Saturday, my garage looks like a VW spares place at the moment :lol:

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2007, 10:41 »
Week 3:

f**k have I been a busy boy!!

Nobody would split the car loom from the engine loom and vw wanted 480 just for the engine loom so obv f**k that.

My CNM Vagspares guy really came through for me and reminded me that I needed a clutch still. So without further ado he said I think your engine looks a bit rusty (see third pic) and a bit mistreated so what you think about this;

Confused? :lol:

Well basically he swapped my orginal 1.8t engine for a AUM engine (newer, better than my orginal ARZ engine and out of an audi if im not mistaken) that he could give me a three month guarantee on, rather then pluggin original one in, it not working and me be f**ked! It already has a clutch bolted on as well as the complete engine loom  (already plugged in, just needed pluggin into ECU - see below pic) He charged me £200 for doing this swap, for the clutch and the perfect loom I think this was defo worth it as a clutch on its own would have cost me about 125 plus the cost of the loom (if I could find it).

I never thought a engine loom in one piece would make me orgasm, well all I can say is you learn something new everyday :wink:

He also said that he thought the previous engine had already been tried to be used in a conversion and disgarded because (lemme get this right) where the belt goes round there was my air con or some bit missing (see part labelled 'a' and see part 'b' on the new engine you can see the extra canister)

There is one thing missing from the above picture??? Oh yeah my paperwieght 1.4 engine!!

So to summarise I got two engines, one which is going in and one which he is taking away after the new one is in that way he said any bits that break or are missing we can steal from the orginal engine :wink:

This week im going to send off ECU to DNA Tuning to get the immobiliser defeated, but he said if we get the engine and bits in we can still turn the key and it will just tick over (ie: see if it all works)

Almost there ladies and gents :D

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2007, 10:42 »
Then last weekend, we actually put the lump in, managed to score a free cold air induction kit, but still need to wack on driveshafts, brakes, hubs, my ECU should be back in 3 days after being remapped to 205 brake :D

More pics to come of actually putting the engine in, camera is playing up at moment

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 02 June 2007, 13:18 »
Today is the day the car goes up to get loom sorted and if all goes to plan it should be up and working by next sat when i drive it home!

I thought it only be right that I take a few pics of the pain in the ass.... er I mean the car before it goes up :)

There you go! And hopefully the next picture you guys see on this thread is a motion one ;)

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 02 June 2007, 18:50 »
Video of me on way to Eurotek to drop car off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySmVbBWFjss

How I left her! Next time I see it il be driving her home with around 210 brake :D

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 06 August 2007, 11:57 »
Right, since getting bullied into updating my project page by Rhyso (lol) I am going to blitz you with an update.

In the post above I said "next time I see her she'l be 210 brake" - I couldnt have been more wrong, here is what has been going on:

I was in need of a mounting bracket for the gear selector and because it came out of an audi the actual bracket was wrong that I had, so I searched hi and low and found one after a week as from VW they were on back order  :cry:

The bracket was dropped to Vinesh and now it turned out that I need an AUM ECU and corresponding loom to go with it as the one I was planning two use was from my initial AGU engine! Had a search about for ages and couldnt find one until I got a link off edition 38 for a guy that makes loom and just happened to have my ECU too!

Meanwhile I went a bit crazy on the buying of extra bits:

coilovers arrived:

Next was a rs2 bumper from ebay that I picked up for £50

Then the seats arrived, I bought a new air filter, twinpipe backbox, dvd player, etc, here is the famous pic as most of you mk4 ppl will have seen!

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 06 August 2007, 12:12 »
Managed to score a 4motion rear valance which is going to be smoothed into the main bumper and painted, then got offered a forge splitter valve for £80 so snapped that up:

I was just waiting on the new ECU and loom to turn up, which it did within a few days:

I then proceeded to send the ECU to my tuner guy who defeated the immobiliser and did a new map which included my cold air feed and forge splitter valve and whats even better was that the map was for my new AUM engine with the KO3s turbo, so it was mapped to about 225 instead of the max 210 on the agu :D

Rang Eutotek everyday and he finally said he had received all the bits he needs to finish the car, that was a thursday, rang him on the monday and he had fell off a ladder and f**ked his shoulder up!

Right that takes us to weekend before last!

On friday night I got paid for my 18" a8 rims and once i get paid this weekend Il be purchasing a set of these in 18's when wallet permits!

weekend just gone I did a mission up to the garage to see my car, it had been started on, needed to pick up my standard golf bumper so i could part exchange it for these beauties! Had to drive almost to southampton to get them but the price I got these genuine vw parts for I couldnt miss out on them

They have been dropped into the spray shop this morning for a lick of black paint, then the plan is to pick them up on the way to getting the car, fitting them and driving home! Purchased a nice power inverter, slim line ps2 and strut brace for the wagon today too!

I know its taken ages but as far as I can see so far, its gonna be proper worth it :D

Hopefully it'l be ready and roadlegal for southend, but it will defo be done for Brand meet end of this month, want everybody to come over and admire it!

Cheers

Ash!