Author Topic: Engine resonance at about 1300RPM  (Read 5087 times)

Offline TomS_

• Not said much yet
Engine resonance at about 1300RPM
« on: 25 May 2013, 16:13 »
Hey all.

Maybe I am in my initial phase of getting used to the car (Mk6 GTD), its quirks and sounds, but Ive noticed something for the first time today.

When I (slowly) rev to about 1300RPM the engine seems to hit some kind of resonance and it sounds ... not really rattly, but perhaps more rough than usual. Seems to vibrate more than any other RPM, and its really noticeable inside the car.

I thought maybe it was shaking a bit, so I popped the bonnet, revved it up in the driveway and peeked through in to the engine bay but its quite smooth and settled physically.

Nothing seems loose, which is what I suspected at first (specifically the cover that sits on top of the engine.)

Does anyone else get this with theirs? Or am I just worried too much and Im having that "found something wrong the day after you take it home" kind of paranoia? :undecided:

No loss of performance, just dont think I noticed it last night when I took it for a drive. Maybe I was paying more attention to other things than the sound. :grin:
---

Mk6 GTD, MY12, candy white

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
Re: Engine resonance at about 1300RPM
« Reply #1 on: 26 May 2013, 08:15 »
Not sure I have noticed anything like that but you might like to give us a hint as age and mileage is it new, second hand. A video would maybe useful with the sound.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline TomS_

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 26 May 2013, 09:28 »
MY12 (61 reg), just under 14,000 miles, purchased second hand from a VW dealer.

Will try to get a video later on today, have to run to meet up with friends now. :)
---

Offline TomS_

• Not said much yet
« Reply #3 on: 02 June 2013, 14:26 »
So Ive figured out what is causing this clattery vibrating noise.

Theres a small box at the front of the engine (right hand side) which leads off via a C shaped pipe to what I guess is the air filter.

This small box is made up of 3 plastic parts that clip together, one is a cover and the other two form the box itself.

The two pieces that form the box seem to be rather loose fitting, and the two halves (one screwed to the car, the other has the pipe attached to it) just seem to move around a lot. Once you reach 1300RPM it hits the "sweet spot" and they start vibrating like all hell against each other, and you can hear it all through the car.

A length of foam tape where the two pieces overlap and voila. Beautiful and quiet now, just as it should be. :grin:

The only real reason I noticed it and was irritated by it is if Im in crawling traffic (yay London...), I tend to sit mostly around the 1300RPM range it seems, and it was driving me nuts.
---

Offline ajmoir36

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 02 June 2013, 19:50 »
Glad you figured it out.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.
On Order: Mk8 R, Pure White, Reversing Camera, Harmon Kardon, Heated seats all round.
Gone: Mk7.5 R, 5dr, DSG, Deep Pearl Black, 18” Cadiz, Nav, Winter Pack, Keyless, Dynaudio and Reversing camera.
Gone: Mk7 R, 5dr, DSG, Limestone Grey, 19" Pretoria's, Nav Pro, DCC, Winter Pack, Keyless, Mobile Prep and Reversing Camera.
Gone: Mk6 GTD, 5dr, Manual, Tornado Red, 18" Vancouvers, RCD510 + Dynaudio, heated seats.

Offline walker1967

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 07 July 2013, 23:52 »
Just had the same problem fixed in my 2010 gtd

Offline Gaz2559

• Not said much yet
« Reply #6 on: 25 July 2013, 19:00 »
Hi,

I had a very similar problem. Had the car for 7 weeks now and have always noticed a high drone sound around 1300 to 1400 rpm. I did notice an air box at from right hand side of the car was not properly secure (the top plastic bit with 3 clips to clip on top). In the past I tried to sort this but to no avail, could only get 2 clips to clip in.

After reading this post I thought that the box must be the reason for the drone sound and so I made sure I got all 3 clips secure and voila!! High drone has gone and its a nice smooth sound throughout the range! Thank you for the post!

Gaz