Author Topic: A3 170 tdi v GTD ?  (Read 19765 times)

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
Re: A3 170 tdi v GTD ?
« Reply #10 on: 01 January 2011, 17:51 »
plus the audi chassis seemed very dated and there's a new A3 due any day.
I never have understand these two coments from golf mk6 owners. It always confuses me. :undecided:
Is it not the same basic chassis as the golf mk5/6? The golf Mk6 is due to be replaced too?
Cars get develop over there production times and get updated anyway just the public very rare gets to hear about it.
I just use to put it down to mk6 owners wanting to make themselfs feel better about there choice of car.
Im confused.
« Last Edit: 01 January 2011, 17:54 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 
34 years of GTI ownership.

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
  • E63s Estate - Vito Sport
« Reply #11 on: 01 January 2011, 18:04 »
Base version 170 £23100
Black edition 170 £26450

You can't get auto quattro A3's btw

Offline Rhyso

• Global Moderator
  • Sir Postalot
« Reply #12 on: 01 January 2011, 19:23 »
Come to Wales and I'll race you Steve  :tongue:

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 01 January 2011, 19:33 »
I never have understand these two coments from golf mk6 owners. It always confuses me. :undecided:
Is it not the same basic chassis as the golf mk5/6? The golf Mk6 is due to be replaced too?
Cars get develop over there production times and get updated anyway just the public very rare gets to hear about it.
I just use to put it down to mk6 owners wanting to make themselfs feel better about there choice of car.
Im confused.

There is a massive difference between driving a mk5 and mk6 just for starters as I drive a lot of mk5 golfs in work on a regular basis, most are GT TDI's.

Go drive the S3 and you can make your own decision  :wink:

Offline Steve30

• I live here
  • Ed30 .
« Reply #14 on: 01 January 2011, 21:08 »
Come to Wales and I'll race you Steve  :tongue:

Sounds like a challenge there Rhyso, when you in London next? So have you got an A3 tdi 170?

Tiguan quicker than the Golf

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #15 on: 02 January 2011, 11:22 »
Im confused.

There is a massive difference between driving a mk5 and mk6 just for starters as I drive a lot of mk5 golfs in work on a regular basis, most are GT TDI's.

Go drive the S3 and you can make your own decision  :wink:

I have. We had a mk5 GTI for 4 years before, and a mate still has a company one i often drive, The mk6 is harder suspension wise but apart from that i find them similar. I also had an S3 on trile for 24 hours from a local audi dealer before i bought the mk6. Another mate this week takes delivery of his 09 S3 so i may go have another drive of one. I felt it similar except steering weight but i find that with all 4motion/heldex versions of golfs and also Audi's they tune the steering lighter. Audi S-line developed over production, the early ones shook your teath out, the susepnsion was fine tuned during production years the later ones are much better. There all slight different but i put it down to suspension settings/tunning and steering settings not a dated chassis difference, I think of it they tweeked for different customer stiles.
There is a huge difference to GTTDI mk5 and mk6 imho because the engine in caracter and delivery is so much different it makes the car feel so much different. I have one of the last PDtdi leon mk1s and driving a GTD is totally different. I know Steve knows my views and enthusiasm for the mk6 GTD after a drove a few. I was never impressed with the mk5 GTTDI refinment infact when i first test drove one i was gobsmacked at how ruff and unrefined and vibration there was that i got back out and thought no way am i changing to that its a backward step from what we have. I later with the great reveiws and forum speak of the mk5 GTTDI i tried another one and again i was so bitterly disapointed. Mind saying this i have also driven quite a few mk4 GTTDI golfs and there not a patch on our leon either.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2011, 12:20 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline The Doc

• Forum addict
« Reply #16 on: 02 January 2011, 12:13 »
And your decision was, a golf  :wink:

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #17 on: 02 January 2011, 12:21 »
Im a golf person, if i did not have the mk1 i would prob have gone audi but theres just somthing about 2 GTIs sitting in the home garage together  :grin: I also hate light steering.

The added performance of the S3 was not a concern for me, im not a speed nutter like 99% of them on here the GTI/GTD was enough performance for me. If i had not been running a TDI as a daily for the previous two years and just fancied a change so thought petrol the GTD or Audi would have been my choice and was the logical choice really but the draw of another GTI won it by a wisker. I blaim the mk1 sitting looking at me. :grin:

How much is the TDI A3 170 4wd? :undecided:
At the time i bought my GTI i could have got the audi TDI170 s-line Quattro for less.
« Last Edit: 02 January 2011, 12:31 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI 

Offline Snoopy

• Serious forum addict
  • Geoff.
« Reply #18 on: 02 January 2011, 12:25 »
Please delete. :smiley:
« Last Edit: 02 January 2011, 12:31 by Snoopy »
Mk6 GTI  &  Mk1 GTI