Author Topic: New member wondering if the car I seek is actually a unicorn  (Read 2247 times)

Offline StuC

• Just got here
Hello all from sunny Scotland!

After a fair bit of deliberating I've concluded that I need a Mk 7.5 GTI in my life. It will be joining my camper-converted Caddy so I know VW pretty well.

I'm lucky to have some nice roads to get to work so it seems to be the ideal car. Having done a fair bit of reading, I've got a good idea of what I'd like but I've been searching for a while and I'm beginning to wonder if such a car even exists. In order of priority:

- Manual
- Performance pack
- Stock (ie not modified)
- DCC
- 3 door
- Not black or white (though I do really like white silver)

The first 3 are non-negotiable. I could compromise on one of the last 3 if the car was otherwise perfect.

Mileage isn't really a concern as long as it's been properly looked after.

I'd also consider a Mk 7 though if going for an older car, it would really need to be an unmodified 3 door manual with PP.

So does this car exist? Obviously if you own this mythical beast and you're thinking of selling I'd love to hear from you!

Cheers
Stuart

Offline andy28

• Here all the time
Re: New member wondering if the car I seek is actually a unicorn
« Reply #1 on: 21 August 2023, 23:27 »
Hi Stu C, welcome!

I don’t think there were many 3 door manual 7.5s so you are probably looking for a bit of a needle in a haystack (especially with DCC) but I’m sure one will come along if you’re patient. I believe on the 7.5 it was just called the GTI Performance rather than Performance Pack If that helps.

It obviously depends on budget but have you looked at the Clubsport Edition 40s? There are 3 door manuals (I have one) and they all have the equivalent of a performance pack plus more power (it has the turbo from a Golf R). Not all have DCC but the 18 standard Belvedere alloys are lovely and the ride is fine in my opinion (definitely biased). I had a 7.5 (non-performance) and swapped it for my first Clubsport and I only missed the digital dash for a few months.
GTI Clubsport Edition 40
#301 and then #190

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 22 August 2023, 06:30 »
Welcome.
I think you will have to be prepared to travel a fair bit to get your Unicorn. I honestly don’t think I’ve seen a 3 door 7.5 Performance in the flesh though a couple of guys on here have them.
Mine only ticks two of your three ‘must haves’ but it’s a great car and one that I’m keeping until it or I turn to dust, puts a smile on my face every time I drive it.
Good luck with the search and even if you do have to broaden your specific requirements, you won’t be disappointed👍
« Last Edit: 22 August 2023, 06:31 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #3 on: 22 August 2023, 08:46 »
https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=289646.0

Maybe what you would consider (apart from the white bit.....)

Some wiggle room available.
« Last Edit: 22 August 2023, 08:48 by Agreeable Slick »

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 22 August 2023, 14:45 »
Welcome StuC!

You'd make it easier if you considered a 5 door. I went from a 3 door MK7 to a 5 door MK7.5 and although I'd go back to a 3 door for the looks, there are benefits with a 5 door too that mean I'm happy with it. For example, in tight spaces the longer doors of a 3 door often mean you can't get out of the car!

Otherwise, great wish list!

Happy hunting :smiley:
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline StuC

• Just got here
« Reply #5 on: 22 August 2023, 18:30 »
Thanks all, some useful stuff there.

Slick - I saw your car advertised and nearly messaged you in the hope that "ACC" was actually a typo for DCC... It's a nice looking car but I think I'll hold out a bit longer and maybe add the Clubsport 40 into the mix...

Offline dfm

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #6 on: 22 August 2023, 21:57 »
Might be worth driving one without DCC too just to see if you really need it. It was on my wish list too but I ended up in a car without it.

Offline Agreeable Slick

• Global Moderator
  • Serious forum addict
  • Unit
« Reply #7 on: 23 August 2023, 08:42 »
Thanks all, some useful stuff there.

Slick - I saw your car advertised and nearly messaged you in the hope that "ACC" was actually a typo for DCC... It's a nice looking car but I think I'll hold out a bit longer and maybe add the Clubsport 40 into the mix...

No problem, the Mk7 is a fantastic car, and would def recommend the performance pack. Can't comment on DCC but then I can't say I was ever keen on it as it's something much more expensive to fix if it goes wrong. All comes down to preference.

Offline StuC

• Just got here
« Reply #8 on: 30 September 2023, 17:57 »
Well further to my first post here and after the recommendation above, after a few weeks of thinking/reading/trawling the classifieds I've settled on a Clubsport Edition 40. Requirements

- Ideally red. Not black or white 
- 3 door
- Manual
- Not modified
- Would love a car with buckets but appreciate the above is already looking like quite a rare spec..

If anyone is thinking of selling please let me know :)