Author Topic: SoundillusioN - the re-united mk1!  (Read 87605 times)

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
  • If I can't fix it at home, it ain't getting fixed.
Re: SoundillusioN - the re-united mk1!
« Reply #20 on: 16 January 2011, 19:34 »
Started stripping down the front end to see whats what. I noticed a while back there was no movement in the front suspension untill  today when i jacked it up, sounded aweful, think the shocks are fecked.  Took some of the body kit off the front end and expected to see rust on the arches but there was none!

same story on the inner wings but then i knew that they had been well sealed from birth. not waxoyl, its that yellow/white stuff???  theres never been any plastic inner arch guards, they were removed early on in life, not sure why.  I intend to clean this all up and do it all black over the next couple of days.

Quick shot of the repaired side... Comparing both sides in person its impossible to tell there was any damage in the first place.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #21 on: 16 January 2011, 19:35 »
Im hating where i'm at right now, looking at the car it feels like i'm going backwards taking it all to bits!  I want to make sure its rot free and protected to feck so that when its finished i know she's solid as a rock and i wont have any nasty surprises later.

This very chunky bbs kit goes right under to the seam of the sill underneath.  I saw this as a potential damp trap!

From the day ive owned it the doors were a bit low and had previously been rubbing the top of the skirts. the screws at the top were rusted to sh*t with no way of unscreweing them...

With the bends either side of each screw i was worried that there was rot underneath

Out came the angle grinder!...  :shocked:

Was so worried about damaging it! broke one screw hole and i have a few grind marks on the top now... its part of the kit thats not on show and i know i can rub it down and make it better again.

No nasty surprises, just dirty.  :shocked:

Quick rub down and all is good! Will be painting and sealing it all up.  :cool:

Car looks so sorry for itself again at the moment though!  :sad:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #22 on: 16 January 2011, 19:36 »
Not much to report.  Removed the front suspension, (was pretty easy as I WD40'd the bolts last night).  Spent about an hour cleaning/grinding/wire brushing the o/s inner wing and turret.. no nasty surprises in the turret, just surface crap. Then spent another hour waxoyling it all. its good that waxoyl is black!  :smiley:

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #23 on: 16 January 2011, 19:37 »
Sooooo.... not a great deal to put up but i have been busy on the bodywork.... will post pics up when ive finished.. found some rust on rear arches...  :sad:  Anyway, thanks to tony_ack I have now replaced her 3 spoke shame with something more fitting... they need a bit of work but IMO are the perfect look for the rest of the body.  its now full on BBS styleeee.  :cool:

Exhaust is low because its off the hangers at the moment.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #24 on: 16 January 2011, 19:39 »
Although my full rewire is 90% done... i had issues with the clocks. MFA does nothing and temp and fuel read max at all times with ignition on. sorted temp gauge out. (i think). Disconnected fuel gauge sender on the tank and now it reads zero.. according to rubjonny thats the sign of a fecked sender.. booooo.  :sad: need to source one of them now and figure out how to change it.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #25 on: 16 January 2011, 19:41 »
I don't know why but I wasnt expecting it to look like the gubbins of a toilet!  :laugh:

Made the contact for the copper arm stronger by giving it a bit a of bend, pluged it in and played with it, fuel gauge copied my every move!!!!  :smiley: Happy bunny and thanks for the hints.  Coundnt get it back on the tank. was really tight, it seemed the seal would go on the pi55 every time i tried to screw it in. broke two of the lugs in the process!... in the end i made a T shaped tool, allen key across the two lugs with mole grips on the key.. peace of cake then.
« Last Edit: 05 February 2011, 04:31 by SoundillusioN »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #26 on: 16 January 2011, 19:46 »
So sadly after some good luck with no rot at the front, i found some at the rear.   :sad:
Took body kit off the OS arch.

You can see the hole in the shot valance in the background which was posted much earlier in this thread.

Out comes the angle grinder with wire brush attachement!   :sad:

« Last Edit: 05 February 2011, 04:15 by SoundillusioN »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #27 on: 16 January 2011, 19:47 »
Angleground/brushed the rot to death, then over treated with rust remover gel over and over until i was happy. got the filler out to fill any gaps made by broken off crap and tried to get it all as smooth as I could.

Next will be painting and sealing... not going to be perfect but the kit covers it and hopefully it will hold up for a while.

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #28 on: 16 January 2011, 19:48 »
So its getting to the point where I need to spend more money!  :sick: After quite a few bits and the budget is tighter than a..............................
Making a note on here for reference. Obviously i'm looking but if anyone has or know where i can source cheap then that would be great.

Here's my list of everything I can think of so far, some of which is easy, others i'm struggling:

Front twin headlight grill that takes a badge, looking for the same or nearest to what i had in the first place (alternatives considered)

Front Bumper

Pair of front seats, may need a drivers side rail also as current one is a recaro. minimum is a new drivers seat as original passeneger is ok, just want a pair of seats so they match (anything considered that will fit)

N/S OEM Wing any colour but doesnt have to be new, just straight.

Bonnet OEM any colour but doesnt have to be new, just straight. (not desperate)

Sidelight Bulb Holders

Battery Clamp Bar and Bolt

New Radiator (Awaiting Delivery)

Glass for cracked fog (BOSCH HALOGEN LE1476A)

Door lock pin

Brake Discs, drums, shoes and pads

Wheel Bearings all round

Coilovers

(easily sorted when time comes)

« Last Edit: 05 February 2011, 04:16 by SoundillusioN »

Offline SoundillusioN

• 10k hero
« Reply #29 on: 16 January 2011, 19:49 »
Not had time to do much or post pics but a little while back I did the following:

Fitted new rad (old one was bent)
Flushed cooling system a few times. runs clean, bought some Comma g30 XStream to go in it.
Treated then flushed old oil out.  Fitted new Champion filter and filled her back up with Semi Synthetic.

Did a trial paint in Satin to see if i could get a good finish.... spent a fair while prepping it, think it will turn out nice all over fingers crossed!
Will do a proper work in progress when i do the whole car.