Author Topic: GTi Clubsport - 18" wheels > 19" wheels  (Read 36009 times)

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
Re: GTi Clubsport - 18" wheels > 19" wheels
« Reply #150 on: 10 August 2021, 11:01 »
I've finally bought wheels to replace the dreadful Richmonds, and am hoping to get them fitted tomorrow.  As I've promised, I'll post up pics once they are on.

I'm usually guilty of 'inaction by procrastination' and have tried to research the issue of new alloys on a Mk8 Clubsport as thoroughly as I can.  I'm still not an expert by any means and I certainly wouldn't have got this far without reading your contributions in this forum.

I knew absolutely nothing about wheels (apart from the fact that they come in different sizes and widths!) before I started so I've decided to post up my thoughts in the hope that somebody else will find them interesting and/or helpful.

Firstly, as my car is on a 12k mpa 3 year hire with no option to buy, I decided that I'd buy 18" wheels so I can reuse the original tyres (225/18/40 Bridgestone S005's) and not have to fork out £500 or more on a new set.  That was a good start so I moved onto wheel widths.  The Richmonds are 7.5J but I wanted to fill the arch a little more, hence decided on 8J.  I know others have gone for 8.5J with no problem running 225 tyres, but I'm a bit cautious and wanted to keep close to VW's specs.  After all they have spent billions developing the Mk8 and should know what they are doing (apart from software!) right?

So still lots of choices to be made; the next being wheel colour.  I'm not a fan of black wheels as I think the design gets lost on dark days and to me it can look like a dark hole with no wheel at all.  I was fairly set on graphite/gun metal/mid-grey and seeing Exonian's Gun metal Reifnitz alloys helped confirm that choice.

I then looked at felgenoutlet's website to see what wheels they had as compatible with the Mk8 Clubsport and the website even mocked up images of some of their wheels on the car.  That was good to see but didn't really help as they don't supply to the UK post-Brexit.  After looking at CM wheels 18" choices I thought I settled on Pretoria as a safe choice but continued looking elsewhere.  Their Veemann FS-23's also looked good and would have made my car a bit more individual so they became favourites.  However whilst CM's own wheels are cheap they are not TUV certified and with my aforementioned caution I was prepared to pay a bit more for that.  Wheel weight was another issue as I suspect that CM's wheels will weigh more than other 18's and as Richmonds weigh 11.6kg and I think Adelaides weigh 12kg+ I wanted to get the lightest wheels I that could within my other constraints.

Anyway all this has let to me buying the wheels that I now have - I'll post up pics ASAP and let you know what they are shortly, but if you think along the lines of BBS XR, that's the right look.

« Last Edit: 14 November 2022, 10:52 by BillSan »
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport
TD Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Wheels
1899 Software but new s/wheel & no bongs since 4/1/24

Gone: Mk7.5 GTE

Offline carbon337

• Not said much yet
« Reply #151 on: 10 August 2021, 12:19 »
your post is pretty much my own thoughts too.

Ive swung from BBS XR to BBS SR, I want to recreate this Mk2 as close as possible in a modern twist.

Ive also looked at CM options but not convinced, OZ ultraleggera are tasty but expensive. Wheelforce SL1 again are nice and have a BBS look about them like the mk2 above but again expensive.

The RC Design RC32 is nice and not too expensive and the JR Racing JR30 look good on this:

So im still torn but looking forward to seeing your choice BillSan

« Last Edit: 10 August 2021, 12:42 by carbon337 »
Ordered 12/06/21 Build scheduled for wk46>wk52>wk10>wk25: MK8 GTI Clubsport in Standard White, DCC, Winter Pack, Standard Wheels

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #152 on: 10 August 2021, 17:58 »
I had a white mk2 GTI like that about 30 years ago  :cool:
Mind you, mine still had the correct black sill covers and matt black side stripe and different wheels.

Be careful of offsets rather than just width when considering wheels. I think VW streamlined the rear of the car a bit when they changed it from a Mk7 so it won’t be so easy to get low offset wheels under the rear arches.
If going 18” diameter then I’d advise sticking to 8” width and ET higher than 40.

As you were troops.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #153 on: 10 August 2021, 18:39 »
My new wheels are 18x8 with a 42 offset Exonian.  Your advice is valued as ever, and I should be able to tell you more on how much space is available tomorrow when mine are on.  Happy to answer questions and just hope I have answers.
Pure White Mk8 Clubsport

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #154 on: 10 August 2021, 21:01 »
ET42 with a 225 tyre should be absolutely perfect. Not far off flush yet still no danger of catching :afro:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline carbon337

• Not said much yet
« Reply #155 on: 11 August 2021, 12:55 »
8" and ET42 looks to be perfect, just 3mm more out than the ET45

Ordered 12/06/21 Build scheduled for wk46>wk52>wk10>wk25: MK8 GTI Clubsport in Standard White, DCC, Winter Pack, Standard Wheels

Offline BillSan

• Here all the time
« Reply #156 on: 11 August 2021, 23:02 »
Better late than never.... here are my new wheels as switched today.

They are 'Team Dynamics Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Alloy Wheels In Matt Gunmetal' in size 18x8 ET42. and I'm really pleased with how they look and they really do give the car a better stance, filling the arches much better than I expected.

They weigh 10.5kg according to Team Dynamics and I have weighed them myself, albeit on non-digital scales, to confirm that.

I polished them yesterday with Poorboys wheel sealant, although I have no clue on how effective it is, but as the wheels were new in boxes and spotless it just seemed the ideal opportunity to try it.

I should have mentioned that I don't like 'sided' i.e. non-symmetrical wheels which is why another reason for this choice.

I've ordered some VW vinyl stickers for my wheel centres and a new set of locking nuts to complete the job.  I'll be able to use the black plastic OEM wheel nut covers to keep the clean look.

Anyway here are a few more pics where hopefully you'll be able to see the difference between the old and the new.

Pure White Mk8 Clubsport

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #157 on: 11 August 2021, 23:45 »

They are 'Team Dynamics Motorsport Pro Y Spoke Alloy Wheels In Matt Gunmetal' in size 18x8 ET42. and I'm really pleased with how they look and they really do give the car a better stance, filling the arches much better than I expected.

They weigh 10.5kg according to Team Dynamics and I have weighed them myself, albeit on non-digital scales, to confirm that.

I polished them yesterday with Poorboys wheel sealant, although I have no clue on how effective it is, but as the wheels were new in boxes and spotless it just seemed the ideal opportunity to try it.

I should have mentioned that I don't like 'sided' i.e. non-symmetrical wheels which is why another reason for this choice.

I've ordered some VW vinyl stickers for my wheel centres and a new set of locking nuts to complete the job.  I'll be able to use the black plastic OEM wheel nut covers to keep the clean look.

Good choice :cool:, and IMO so much nicer than the factory Richmonds. Gunmetal / anthracite alloys on a Pure White car is a good combination.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Boothy1979

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #158 on: 12 August 2021, 00:41 »

Anyway here are a few more pics where hopefully you'll be able to see the difference between the old and the new.

Really like them, they look good. I like how they are 18s but look bigger.
Current car: Manual MK8 GTI 245, Deep black pearl.
Ordered: DSG MK8 Clubsport, DCC, Pure white.

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #159 on: 12 August 2021, 05:47 »
Oh they fit the gti heritage so well. They instantly look very ‘Edition 30’ to me. A great choice.
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.