Author Topic: What have you done to your mk8 today?  (Read 120101 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: What have you done to your mk8 today?
« Reply #750 on: 01 August 2023, 21:01 »
Oh dear!

In these days of cancel culture I wonder how much anti-EV sentiment is err… ignited for political reasons because the Chinese are kicking arse right now.
We have a perfect storm, war in Europe, reluctant legacy marques wandering in circles post Covid, Chinese vs USA politics, and that Chinese ability to go from zero to massive production as quick as an EV accelerates which has been well rehearsed and tried with aliexpress knock offs and cheap electronic gadgets. The Chinese can knock up a factory in weeks where Western countries faff about with laborious red tape and bribery.
An EV is basically a large disposable electronic gadget after all and China has done its apprenticeship in knock offs and electronic tat the west swallow up so readily.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #751 on: 02 August 2023, 13:08 »
Quality control is a problem with battery production. Scooter and electric bike fires have been put down to lack of third party quality regs and oversight so Chinese start up car producers will probably be similar.
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #752 on: 23 September 2023, 22:10 »
Not so much today, but the other day...

Driving along on a trip to Germany... A funny little symbol comes up where the speed limit is normally shown.... Derestricted!

Legally allowed to go full pedal to the metal!

Bloody hell it flies. Doesn't get light and scary either. I've probably set Germany back a decade in co2 emissions by doing it though  :laugh: :rolleyes:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline davo245

• Here all the time
« Reply #753 on: 23 September 2023, 22:20 »
Not so much today, but the other day...

Driving along on a trip to Germany... A funny little symbol comes up where the speed limit is normally shown.... Derestricted!

Legally allowed to go full pedal to the metal!

Bloody hell it flies. Doesn't get light and scary either. I've probably set Germany back a decade in co2 emissions by doing it though  :laugh: :rolleyes:

:grin: what did you get up to?
Mk6 GTI DSG
MK7.5 GTI performance DSG
Mk8 GTI

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #754 on: 23 September 2023, 22:44 »
It read 250kmh when I stopped zooming and dropped back into sublight speed...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #755 on: 24 September 2023, 08:48 »
Did it still do 40mpg at that speed Fred? 😁
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #756 on: 24 September 2023, 13:02 »
It read 250kmh when I stopped zooming and dropped back into sublight speed...

I thought they were restricted to 155 mph anyway?

Was it still pulling to go faster?
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline gavinl1967

• Not said much yet
« Reply #757 on: 24 September 2023, 13:13 »
Polished my tailpipes - the pink stuff worked wonders 👍

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #758 on: 24 September 2023, 22:33 »
Did it still do 40mpg at that speed Fred? 😁

No.... I think I've probably murdered some pandas or something

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
« Reply #759 on: 06 October 2023, 09:13 »
Battled with changing from WeConnect to the VW app.

No info is tendered between the 2 so I had to delete my profile and deactivate my account in car, then re-register and log back in. Then set myself as primary user again ( which I was anyway ).

Took about 15 minutes but once done I realised that everything is reset in the car - the ambient lighting has all changed, my dash view has changed, the radio stations changed, equaliser sound settings changed etc. Maybe I did something wrong but I assumed that these were all set in car and not in app

Oh, and today I have to call and prove to “vw” that I am the person I say I am, the same person who used their previous app that they have decided to close, in order to get the same features that I’ve used for the last 13 months.

What a faff

FFS, what are cars coming to? Is all of this actually necessary? A car is for driving, I really couldn't be bothered with all that.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.