Author Topic: Purchase options, please advise  (Read 4750 times)

Offline Duc959

• Not said much yet
Re: Purchase options, please advise
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2021, 09:17 »
Thanks for the great responses.

What happens when you are on PCP and then order another VW car, any advantages?

Leasing isn't an option just now as the prices have increased and the deals are not so good, neither are the car choices.

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #11 on: 20 August 2021, 10:58 »
I use PCP.... and earlier this year swapped my previous Mk7.5 for a Mk8.

The dealer I bought both of them from gave me a PX on my Mk7.5. I had actually cleared the finance, but even if not, they'd settle with VWFS and give me the difference. They gave me pretty much the same price as others were offering and it was dead easy - no tyre kicking at all.

I did look at a BMW too, if I had done that I'd have done the same but not sold to the BMW dealer, who wouldn't pay top money for my VW, but instead to something like Motorway - having checked out all of the big names in car buying for the best price.

Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 20 August 2021, 11:18 »
PCP works very well imo if the APR and GFV are favourable.

Here in Ireland, VW were offering 0% PCP when I put down my order, so its a bit of a no brainer in that scenario.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #13 on: 21 August 2021, 23:14 »
VW were offering 0% PCP when I put down my order, so its a bit of a no brainer in that scenario.

0% in any form of finance is rather nice, I certainly wouldn’t turn that down!

It's a different driving experience to a GTI though. As nimble as a GTD, same performance, pennies to run if you do most of your charging from home. If they stuck sports seats in it, I bet more people would be tempted from here.

I’d certainly agree with you on the sports seats, they’d add something to the interior that would draw in ICE hot hatch enthusiasts.
I’d never looked at ID.3’s too closely other than an interested eye on the tech and a keen eye on future potential more powerful versions until recently when a work colleague was asking me questions about them as he had been to look at one with a serious view to a potential purchase.
I was shocked that there were no rear speakers.
I advised him to test drive the car going up some of the very steep dual carriageway hills to see how the EV pulled up them before committing. He’s otherwise very keen.

What happens when you are on PCP and then order another VW car, any advantages?

No huge advantages. Smoother transition from one contract to the other as you’re staying in house. Potentially but far from guaranteed better part-ex offer. Swings and roundabouts really.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #14 on: 23 August 2021, 08:11 »

It's a different driving experience to a GTI though. As nimble as a GTD, same performance, pennies to run if you do most of your charging from home. If they stuck sports seats in it, I bet more people would be tempted from here.

I’d certainly agree with you on the sports seats, they’d add something to the interior that would draw in ICE hot hatch enthusiasts.
I’d never looked at ID.3’s too closely other than an interested eye on the tech and a keen eye on future potential more powerful versions until recently when a work colleague was asking me questions about them as he had been to look at one with a serious view to a potential purchase.
I was shocked that there were no rear speakers.
I advised him to test drive the car going up some of the very steep dual carriageway hills to see how the EV pulled up them before committing. He’s otherwise very keen.

Going up a steep hill is not a bother, marginally better than a GTD in the right gear, despite being 400kg heavier. The ID3 has no power band, no wrong gear to be in, it just pulls and pulls.

There are Recaro-esque sports seats out there for the ID3 (you can spec themselves as part of a sports pack in Eire), but for whatever reason, VW UK decided not to have them available, despite the UK being the biggest market in Europe for hot hatches and warm hatches.

The decision not to include rear speakers is truly odd, it would cost coppers for VW to put them it, and is a subject always brought up on EV forums.

Someone recently paid around £800 to get around it. There's no known way to unlock other channels on the infotainment unit to add them simply and plug extra speakers in, VW seem to have locked out all meddling.

I've never been tempted to pay for premium audio in a car, I just don't think the car is that great an environment for hearing audio at its best. However, with EVs being much quieter in operation, there's a thoroughly wasted opportunity there.

As a front seat occupant, I have no issues with the audio, it sounds as good as any other VW I've had with standard audio. Rear seat passengers - the kids have never had any complaints. Maybe a lack of engine noise means 2.1 sound is adequate for the whole car?

The trouble with the ID3 is its pricing - the range broaches the grant threshold. Buy a Life or Family spec and they're reasonably priced. The extras on the higher specs are accessed through ridiculous price hikes. Imagine a £33k GTI costing £4k with the addition of a pack that contains around £1800 of equipment, as priced up for a Tiguanor T-Roc?
« Last Edit: 23 August 2021, 08:14 by monkeyhanger »
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Foxy367

• Here all the time
  • Here All Week
« Reply #15 on: 24 August 2021, 08:29 »
I'm a PCP man! Don't profess to being a 'cash buyer' and appreciate I don't own the car until the balloon is paid off.

There were some pros and cons

Pros
  • VW Finance offer the deposit contribution
  • Rate was low at 4.5%
  • Allows me to change anytime rather than a lease where you have to buy yourself out to come out early
  • Trade in operates as though you own the car, assuming you have remaining equity, the dealer pays the car off and remaining money can be used as deposit on the next
  • Can trade it in anywhere doesn't have to be VW
  • You can voluntarily terminate early for no penalty (assuming your mileage is within your allowance) once halfway through the contract and half of the payments have been made

Cons
  • Mileage - I set mine at 10,000 I work in construction there is always a risk it goes over
  • You never own the car outright until you pay off the balloon off
  • Makes selling privately a bit more tricky as there is the finance company to consider

As a Dad for me its about having a smaller monthly payment, I looked into a loan and for the amount I would have needed it would have had to be a home owner loan rather than a personal loan which I wasn't comfortable with and the monthly payments were higher. I looked at using more of my savings which are in shares at the moment and making a better return than the interest I'm paying on my loan, but even then with personal loans once it goes over £25k the APR went up quite a bit which took up the monthly payment significantly with it. Leasing whilst cheaper just isn't an option for me you are tied in for longer and the mileage is more restrictive with less options for changing mid-way through and I like that ability.
Current - Awaiting a milkfloat
Previously
2021 Mk8 GTI Clubsport - Atlantic Blue
2017 MK7.5 GTI Performance - Tornado Red
First steps into Golf ownership -
2003 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Oceanic Green
2002 Mk4 GtTdi PD150 Reflex silver

Offline Duc959

• Not said much yet
« Reply #16 on: 24 August 2021, 10:16 »
I'm a PCP man! Don't profess to being a 'cash buyer' and appreciate I don't own the car until the balloon is paid off.

There were some pros and cons

Pros
  • VW Finance offer the deposit contribution
  • Rate was low at 4.5%
  • Allows me to change anytime rather than a lease where you have to buy yourself out to come out early
  • Trade in operates as though you own the car, assuming you have remaining equity, the dealer pays the car off and remaining money can be used as deposit on the next
  • Can trade it in anywhere doesn't have to be VW
  • You can voluntarily terminate early for no penalty (assuming your mileage is within your allowance) once halfway through the contract and half of the payments have been made

Cons
  • Mileage - I set mine at 10,000 I work in construction there is always a risk it goes over
  • You never own the car outright until you pay off the balloon off
  • Makes selling privately a bit more tricky as there is the finance company to consider

As a Dad for me its about having a smaller monthly payment, I looked into a loan and for the amount I would have needed it would have had to be a home owner loan rather than a personal loan which I wasn't comfortable with and the monthly payments were higher. I looked at using more of my savings which are in shares at the moment and making a better return than the interest I'm paying on my loan, but even then with personal loans once it goes over £25k the APR went up quite a bit which took up the monthly payment significantly with it. Leasing whilst cheaper just isn't an option for me you are tied in for longer and the mileage is more restrictive with less options for changing mid-way through and I like that ability.

Thank you, your summary matches my findings. What dealer is supplying DTD so that I can speak to them directly and see what PCP rate they are offering?

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 24 August 2021, 10:35 »
Thank you, your summary matches my findings. What dealer is supplying DTD so that I can speak to them directly and see what PCP rate they are offering?

It’ll be the current rate shown on VW’s website.

Screenshot from DTD’s website;

And screenshot from VW’s website;

2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #18 on: 24 August 2021, 14:07 »
Yeah through DTD you are still buying from a VW Dealer and can use VWFS products just like any other...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #19 on: 25 August 2021, 16:44 »
DTD VW’s generally came from JCB Medway but I’ve no idea if they still do. There will be members in here who will have the direct email of the guy who you’d have dealt with.
Like most of these affiliated online discount dealers the car will come through the fleet sales dept where perhaps different rules apply for order allocation and volume bonuses.
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner