Author Topic: Gas bonnet strut anyone?  (Read 5266 times)

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
Re: Gas bonnet strut anyone?
« Reply #20 on: 18 August 2021, 13:53 »
Just to clear up about coolant tanks, I have just double checked as I doubted my ageing memory and the GTI, R and Clubsport have their header tanks in the same (offside) position.
For some reason the R and Clubsport have their windscreen washer reservoirs on opposite sides though. The Clubsport’s (and S3 from memory) is on the nearside and the R has it on the offside in front of the coolant expansion tank.
So ignore my earlier post and the bonnet lifter will catch on all of the models unless the spacer is fitted.

‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #21 on: 18 August 2021, 22:24 »
I'm glad you managed to remember what I couldn't  :grin:
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline Carl_45

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #22 on: 17 September 2021, 11:38 »
Racing line have just released a gas bonnet strut….

https://www.racingline.com/gas-strut-bonnet-hood
Current: Clubsport 45, Kings Red, DCC, HK, Winter Pack

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #23 on: 17 September 2021, 19:43 »
And here’s Mr Chapple fitting it!

https://youtu.be/a0z2RrHn2io
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #24 on: 17 September 2021, 22:11 »
It's quite interesting really, Volkswagen saw it fit to remove fair simple and cheap features of their best selling car to save costs, but they've added another supermini SUV to their line up that is a massively niche market. (T-Cross, Taigo, T-Roc, T-Roc Cabriolet :sick:).

Then have two saloons that are the same size (Passat and Arteon), competing against each other. (I did see a Arteon Estate the other day, very nice car by the way).

It's becoming more and more evident that Volkswagen is getting closer to becoming where Skoda used to sit in the VAG Family, as Skoda and Seat both continually proving to be better looking and better value.

I really like the mk8 and see a lot of potential for a 8.5 to be exceptional, but their budgetary constraints and software really need sorted.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Online fredgroves

• Serious forum addict
  • Professional Um Bongo drinker
« Reply #25 on: 17 September 2021, 22:15 »
I don't understand the hysteria about the bonnet strut...
Current: Mk8 GTI DSG, Adelaides, DCC, HUD, HK, Winter Pack, Rear Camera.. Aka "HMS Weasel"

Gone: 2017 Mk7.5 GTD,manual, NavPro
Gone: 2014 Mk7 GTD, manual, NavPro, DCC

Offline joet

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #26 on: 18 September 2021, 07:54 »

Totally agree.
I've raised the bonnet maybe twice in five months of ownership and using the manual strut is no big deal.

Whilst on the one hand it might seem like penny pinching, on the other you get features such as the brilliant IQ Lights as standard. I know which I'd rather have

Offline king monkey

• I live here
« Reply #27 on: 18 September 2021, 08:19 »

Totally agree.
I've raised the bonnet maybe twice in five months of ownership and using the manual strut is no big deal.

Whilst on the one hand it might seem like penny pinching, on the other you get features such as the brilliant IQ Lights as standard. I know which I'd rather have

Hmmmmm. Tough one that. A part that I could fit for £90 if I want or some ultra expensive IQ lights as standard. I’m going to have to come back to you on this one. It’s a close call.  :laugh:
Current: Clubsport45, white, DCC.

Past: Mk5 gti blue graphite, mk6 gti carbon grey, mk6 gti edition 35 candy white, Mk7 pp gti tornado red, 2016 Audi S3 sportback, 2019 7.5 Golf R.

Offline SRGTD

• I live here
« Reply #28 on: 18 September 2021, 08:43 »
Whilst the gas bonnet strut is nice to have, I’d happily forego it for a set of IQ lights :smiley:.

My Polo GTI+ has a manual bonnet prop. I open my bonnet each time I wash the car to dry those concealed areas that can’t be dried with the bonnet closed, and for regular under bonnet fluid level checking. So it probably gets opened every couple of weeks, and I don’t really find it to be a hardship to have to use the manual prop.
2020 Polo GTI Plus; Pure White, DSG (because they all are)
Gone but not forgotten;
2016 Polo GTI; Blue Silk
2011 mk6 Golf GTD; Carbon Grey
2007 mk5 Golf GT (2.0 170bhp TDI version); Deep Black Pearl
2002  mk4 Golf GTI (the 150 bhp diesel version); Deep Black Pearl

Offline Guzzle

• I live here
« Reply #29 on: 18 September 2021, 08:54 »
And here’s Mr Chapple fitting it!

https://youtu.be/a0z2RrHn2io

Sorry for going a little OT, but I much prefer his new wheels to those dreadful Vossen things  :huh:
7.5 GTD