Author Topic: How to change thrust bearing in o2y gearbox  (Read 14983 times)

Offline Reasty

• I live here
  • Alpine white valver.
How to change thrust bearing in o2y gearbox
« on: 02 September 2010, 21:52 »
Ive just changed the thrust bearing also known as the throw out bearing on my mk2 16v with the o2y code gearbox,and thought id share with you how i did it and give some hints and tips to make it easier.

If your gearbox is making a screeching noise (kinda like fan belt slipping noise) when the clutch petal is pressed (clutch engaged)
it is more than likely the thrust bearing that is at fault.

What you will need: Flat headed screwdriver,Pliars,a strong magnet,hammer.New thrust bearing (i got mine from www.transmission-rebuild-kits.co.uk was £15.13 inclusive) and a new gearbox end cap (part number is p vo20 141 073 A) it is recomended to use a genuine one as non genuine ones can leak,and it will only cost £6.26 from main dealers so may aswell use genuine,DONOT asume you can use the old cap as A: you will probably muller it getting it off and B: even if you dont trash it,it will probably leak.

You can jack up the passenger side and remove the wheel if you want to make more access but i just put the car on full lock towards the passenger side of the car and had plenty off access.

Firstly remove the end cap from the end off the gearbox (it has vw stamped on it and is green in colour but will prob be covered in grease and dirt) it is like a paint tin top so prise it of with a flat headed screwdriver,mine was quite hard to get off but be patient and if need be give the edges of the cap a little tap with a hammer and a screwdriver,once the cap is off,you will see the shaft that the thrust bearing lives in and pushed up against the bearing will be a metal finger,please note you will loose abit of gearbox oil once you remove the cap so its best to place something on the ground before you take the cap off.
In order to remove the bearing you need to get the finger to move so it is no longer against the bearing,to do this remove the small black clip on the gearbox arm (is has a small vw logo on it) and also disconnect the clutch cable from the arm,there is a metal clip at the bottom of the cable that needs to be slid off in order to enable the cable to become free,this can be abit fiddly but stick with it,once the cable is disconnected the arm will drop down to around the six o clock position,now moving back to where the bearing is situated you will now see that the finger is pointing straight out towards you and the bearing is fully exposed.
To remove the bearing simply attach a magnet to it and gently pull the bearing out of the shaft it sits in,i used a telescopic hobby magnet as you do need a magnet that has quite abit of welly to be able to pull the bearing out (a magnetic screwdriver will not work)
once out simply push the new bearing into the shaft then reconnect the clutch cable to the arm (this is more fiddly then disconnecting it) to pull the finger back against the bearing,refit the end cap making sure it is snug all the way round (you can give it a gentle tap with a hammer but be Gentle!) refit the little black clip to the arm and your done!.(you may want to put a little gearbox oil in to replace what you lost when you took the cap off).

NOTES: when i removed my bearing it literally fell apart and came out in 3 bits so be very gentle when you are pulling it out and make sure everything is out before you push the new one in.

It is not a paticulary hard job to do,it took me about 1 hour and 40 minutes from start to finish but this did include going to halfords to get a suitable magnet! as i did try a screwdriver and it just does not work!.

« Last Edit: 04 September 2010, 18:43 by Reasty »

Offline Mew

• I live here
Re: How to change thrust bearing in o2y gearbox
« Reply #1 on: 10 October 2010, 23:44 »
A few pics to help with the above:

http://www.brokevw.com/TO.html

Offline Reasty

• I live here
  • Alpine white valver.
Re: How to change thrust bearing in o2y gearbox
« Reply #2 on: 11 October 2010, 20:23 »
A few pics to help with the above:

http://www.brokevw.com/TO.html

Nice one mew! sorry i kinda did it in the dark with a lamp so pictures wernt to easy  :grin: