Author Topic: Induction kit  (Read 1847 times)

Offline Helios_Blue_Valver

• I live here
Induction kit
« on: 15 September 2003, 12:08 »
Hello,
I have a 16v MKII and am thinking of an induction kit. On other cars I have had in the past it made a world of difference but I am confused after reading articles on the board about it now. It currently has a TSR header and full sebring exhaust setup on it. It has been "chipped" and that is about all. It has plenty of power but like most 16v could do with a bit more in the low RPM band. Who makes a decent Induction kit for this car? I have seen them by pipercross and a few others out there but have heard almost nothing about any of them. The car is like brand new and this will be the last of the engine mods done to it. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Offline Slim Shady

• Here all the time
  • Thrash her like a ginger step child
Re:Induction kit
« Reply #1 on: 15 September 2003, 15:47 »
Personally speaking:

I have a tuned 16v - I have a modded head/bonrath rhor (does nothing but amplify induction) and K&N with a drilled airbox. I also have a 4-2-1 manifold - this is to boast low-mid range torque.

Mine pulls better than an 8valve down below and blows doors off 1.8t's above 4.5 rpm

I wasn't aware you could 'chip' a K-jet - what 'kit' have you installed?

If you want low down torque either:

Rebore to 2 litre
or
add a tube manifold

do both if you're feeling rich.

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 15 September 2003, 18:48 »
I should have specied that I was told it was chipped when I bought it. Honestly though I have never taken the time to look and see for myself. Only had it for a week. The exhaust however I can verify as it is out in the open thankfully. :) I had heard the bonrath rhor was rubbish so I am steering clear of them. Since I am not feeling too rich I was thinking about the induction kit to finish it off. Just out of curiosity. How would I know from looking at the ECU if it is chipped or not. I have never messed with them enough to know for sure. How bad is the head on the pocket if you don't mind me asking? Thanks for the advice.
Brad

golfvr6

« Reply #3 on: 15 September 2003, 23:57 »
You can't chip a k-jet car as it has no ecu as such. All it has is electronic ignition. You can mod the system ( ie. put a v-sam on it)  so it can be remapped but you can't do it on a standard car.

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 16 September 2003, 16:44 »
I better have a chat with the person that sold me the car. sounds like he was either confused or lied to me. Either way no big deal I suppose. Thanks for the info. I am still pondering on the induction kit though. Maybe I'll just order it and if it doesn't do as I want I will just sell it.

Cheers,
Brad

golfvr6

« Reply #5 on: 16 September 2003, 17:06 »
Buy a K+N panel filter and drill the airbox  ;)

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 18 September 2003, 14:58 »
its probably that K-star chip that allows it to run on normal unleaded petrol

and a cheap quick way for more power is to get a 2.0 bottom end out of a passat gt or corrado 16v

this is a straight swap, everything on your 1.8 16v jsut bolts on it

u'll get about 165bhp and buckets of torque

your looking for a 9A engine

Craig
91 16v

« Last Edit: 18 September 2003, 15:00 by Gambit »

Offline modulater

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2003, 12:34 »
If you do put the 9A engine in remember to change the inlet cam for the one from your KR engine. Also you can change the inlet manifold to the slightly bigger KR one to give you a bit more balls.

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 21 September 2003, 15:38 »
I talked to the chap which sold me the car and was told that it is in fact the k-star chip he was on about. At least I feel better now knowing i wasn't fooled about with. This car has done just 71,000 miles from new and has a full service history. I am not really up for pulling out and swapping to a 2.0 Liter when there is nothing wrong with this one. I think I will just drill the airbox add a K&N filter and have it tuned on the rolling road. it pulls like a train over 3300RPM anyway which is where I most want it to and the main reason I went with the valver this time around. I am not really looking to race everyone right now anyway. Just so long as I can still dust off the novas and clios then I am happy enough. :D