Author Topic: My Chippy Mate Is Making My Boot Build This Weekend...  (Read 5149 times)

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
  • Money, b!tches And Boost
Need ideas and designs!

To incorporate a 15" sub a 12" sub and two jbl gto amps (orange ones)

Any suggestions?
Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)

Offline tommk3cab

• I live here
Re: My Chippy Mate Is Making My Boot Build This Weekend...
« Reply #1 on: 17 April 2007, 11:33 »
make sure you try your best to get the correct internal air dimensions, and, if you have the space mount the subs with the magnets facing out of the build, so backwards to how most people put them in a box ( or else it would tip over!)

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 17 April 2007, 11:40 »
I dont know much about air space and stuff any websites that help with builds?
Will always love my mk4 but she had to go...225 Quattro TT in its place....but its still black (she lives on in spirit!)

Offline Len

• 10k hero
  • Guardian of the Seas, Protector of Waves
« Reply #3 on: 17 April 2007, 11:57 »
For a 12 inch sub you need 1 to 1.2 cu ft.
For a 15 inch prob about 1.5 cu ft.

But check with the speaker specifications.
Mystic Blue Mk3 16v + Black Mk5 Gti 05 plate + Peugeot 405 Mi16

www.sas.org.uk
www.the-ace.org.uk

Offline mase

• Here all the time
  • mk3 madness!!!
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2007, 12:07 »
make sure you try your best to get the correct internal air dimensions, and, if you have the space mount the subs with the magnets facing out of the build, so backwards to how most people put them in a box ( or else it would tip over!)

99% of subs come with a box for a reason..... having the magnet pointed outwards only works with certain types of subs known as 'free air' a normal sub needs an enclosed space to work properly, and that why each sub has a reccomended enclosure, be it 1.2cu feet, or 1.5cu feet, it will be slightly different for every make of sub out there.

Quote from: Slick#13
I still see there is a distinct lack of b!tch tit getting outage.

...word

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2007, 12:39 »
Both my subs are jbl Il show you my set up:

Offline mase

• Here all the time
  • mk3 madness!!!
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2007, 13:13 »
jbl's arent free air, so will need either an enclosed or ported box.... dependant on wat sort of music u listen to, ports in boxes can change the sound the sub produces, creating a shorter crisper bass note, rather than a longer one.

and personally, id go for either 2x12's, or the single 15" sub, wouldnt mix and fit them both.... no real need, they would have different ranges, and produce different sounds, might sound too 'hetic' if u kno wat i mean... im not expert however, so this is mostly personal opinion and stuff ive picked up over time.

ive got a single 12" JL audio w0 sub, hooked upto a 500watt amp, and it has some serious kick to it.... so id get rid of the 15, and just go with a single 12, or possibly 2x12" ones instead.

it would also make creating an install easier as both side would need to be the same, rather than having to create more internal space for the 15" than the 12" speaker.

:nerd:

...word

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 17 April 2007, 13:32 »
Tried the 15" on its own and you dont get the punchy sound as from the 12"

and with two 12" you dont get the proper deep 15" bass

Offline mase

• Here all the time
  • mk3 madness!!!
« Reply #8 on: 17 April 2007, 14:08 »
wat sort of music you listen to?

as the size of sub changes so does its properties and aim... if u want short punchy bass, like with a lot of dance music, then a 10" is more suited, but does provide less bass, a 12 is a good all rounder, and the 15's are generally more suited to hip-hop and DnB style stuff as they are better for rolling deep basslines.

i quite like DnB and have had to turn the bass on my sub down many times cause it makes your head hurt, IMO you cant go wrong with JL audio stuff, its absolutely top shelf!!!  :cool: :cool:

...word

Offline Ashmond

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 17 April 2007, 14:31 »
Hip hop, dnb and a tad of grime.

Both sound good together at the moment so they can stay, but just not sure how to have the build made, in what style