Author Topic: New to ICE  (Read 8180 times)

Offline JezGTI

• GTI forum regular
Re:New to ICE
« Reply #20 on: 04 December 2003, 11:18 »
The head unit is a VDO 721X, found this link if it helps..
http://www2.vdo.com/vdo/end_consumer/ec_product&fza=&ID=248.aspx
I didn't see the round audio scokets you mentioned Blue, just rectangular ones.
I'm in Manchester S11EPS.
Cheers

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #21 on: 04 December 2003, 11:40 »
This doesn't have the pre amps you need to run an amp.

Unless you go with S11EPS's suggestion of converting the speaker signals into RCA connectors. I have no experience of how well this works but it is certainly a workaround rather than an ideal. You will also have to run the amp line feed (this tells the amp to turn on and off) from outside of your head unit which means that your amp will stay on when your stereo might be off etc. This can be solved but not without a hassle.

If your going to go through the trouble of buying installing an amp and upgrading your speakers I would certainly consider upgrading your head unit as a priority number 1.

Head units are so cheap and feature rich these days so for not much money (?150) you get a good quality high power unit with 4 x line outs and all the future proofing you need.

R

« Last Edit: 04 December 2003, 11:42 by reserves »

Offline S11EPS

• I live here
  • No golfs here. Only a C63 mercedes
« Reply #22 on: 04 December 2003, 11:52 »
I would go with reserves, and get a new head unit buddy, it really will be much less hassle.

Coming up to (and just after) Christmas you'll get a cracking deal, and ?200-?250 will get you a feature packed head unit with high-power amplifier on board (for your front and rear speakers) the proper high-voltage RCA pre-outs you need for connecting to an amplifier, as well as on board filters, which will do away with the need for fitting caps to your speakers to make them more efficient.

From here I would recommend replacing standard speakers with some quality aftermarket ones, and from there you can decide if you want to add small sub/amp combo to give the sound a little more depth.
« Last Edit: 04 December 2003, 11:53 by S11EPS »

The greatest leveller of them all - the Carousel

Offline JezGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #23 on: 04 December 2003, 12:21 »
Fair enough, thanks.  Considering what you know about my requirement would you recommend any particular head unit, speakers and sub woofer?

Offline AdamB

• I live here
  • The Perfect Storm
« Reply #24 on: 04 December 2003, 12:24 »
I go for Kenwood, and have done for 10 years or more, but othes will equally swear by Pioneer, Sony, etc - its down to what gadgets, looks etc you like
I don't own this anymore - I just can't be arsed to change the picture

Offline Golfgal

• I live here
« Reply #25 on: 04 December 2003, 12:33 »
can't beat alpine.........

ignore adam he's old he listens to rubbish stuff........
V5 Beetle owner. I'm just here for the misfire threads....

Veedubgt18v

« Reply #26 on: 04 December 2003, 18:05 »
I would have to go with the alpine stuff tho, swear by it!

Offline JezGTI

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #27 on: 03 March 2004, 21:39 »
Heard mixed opinions on just changing the front door and rear speakers for new ones of the same size.  Reserves, you did this (didn't you?), what do you think?  Anyone else tried this?

Offline reserves

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #28 on: 04 March 2004, 08:34 »
Hi Jez,

It's funny to read through this thread! At the start of the thread I was saying that i'm just going to upgrade the speakers and didn't want an amp.

In the end I have ended up buying :

Phoenix Gold 4 ch amp
JL Component speakers for door/dash
Diamond M6 sub
Auto Acoustics Stealthbox

I can't tell you how it all sounds as I'm still installing it!

I think that replacing the front door speakers with the same size is fine (5.25"/13cm). There are plently of good makes out there that sell these size.  If you are going to get an amp then put some components in the door/dash (it's argued that good components really need an amp to work well.)

One thing I realised is that if you are bothering to install an amp & a  sub in the boot then you may as well buy a 4ch amp and run the front's off 2 channels and then the sub off the other two.

The general feeling now days is that the sound stage sound be from the front, so front speakers and a sub are the most important (unless you carry passengers all the time). I am not going to have any rear speakers.

Let me know if this is what you meant.

I got so much help from www.talkaudio.co.uk the guys on there are really serious about their car audio but also very very friendly and helpful.

R

Offline paladin

• Not said much yet
  • Call me old and I'll smack the sh!t out of you.
« Reply #29 on: 17 March 2004, 23:55 »
Oh, and by the way, the vibration noise more likely than not is the door panels.. don't get me started..
'94 Mk III 2.0
Bosal cat-back:K&N w/mod.airbox:GIAC
Alpine 9815
JBL BassPro
CDT Audio HD-52 in reinforced q-form kicks
MB Quart 218.21 (mid's) in rear
QuietCar (being applied)