Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 285808 times)

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #1110 on: 02 June 2010, 14:27 »
5 years ago they were the laughing stock.  I'm glad to see someone other than ferrari/maclaren at the front.

Offline Chris-White

• I live here
  • Manufactured in Germany. Ruined in Britain.
« Reply #1111 on: 02 June 2010, 14:43 »
:undecided: not making it look obvious.  :huh:

That 'tash  :cool:
S4 Avant. Eibach springs. 18" Avus. RS4 Intercoolers. Viper Tuned. Goes Fast.

Offline bobotheclown

• I live here
« Reply #1112 on: 02 June 2010, 14:50 »
5 years ago they were the laughing stock.  I'm glad to see someone other than ferrari/maclaren at the front.

All down to Adrian Newey, wherever he goes success seems to follow.

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #1113 on: 02 June 2010, 16:04 »
scrutineers must have approved it....so yes.

Offline 2001gti4

• Here all the time
« Reply #1114 on: 02 June 2010, 16:18 »
I'm confused, you still on about the 'tache?  :wink:
My Golf is dead but at least I have this....

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #1115 on: 07 June 2010, 11:40 »
you'd have thought he would have smiled.  bet he got a big pay increase considering his recent form.

Offline AlanD

• 10k hero
  • MK5 2.0T 16v
« Reply #1116 on: 07 June 2010, 11:42 »
you'd have thought he would have smiled.  bet he got a big pay increase considering his recent form.

I imagine this was taken after last weeks result.

Offline A7 UFO

• I live here
« Reply #1117 on: 07 June 2010, 11:51 »
sorry, I forgot to add the smiley

adamrob69

« Reply #1118 on: 07 June 2010, 17:44 »
http://planetf1.com/off-on-f1/6194280/Secret-Diary-Of-Newey-53-3-4

very intresting article, especialy the bits about the Renault engine. They have obviously been improving it, which may coincide with renaults sudden burst off speed, and redbulls speed at monaco and turkey, as on paper around the slow speed corners of monaco the mclaren should of had the edge.

adamrob69

« Reply #1119 on: 07 June 2010, 22:27 »
http://planetf1.com/off-on-f1/6194280/Secret-Diary-Of-Newey-53-3-4

very intresting article, especialy the bits about the Renault engine. They have obviously been improving it, which may coincide with renaults sudden burst off speed, and redbulls speed at monaco and turkey, as on paper around the slow speed corners of monaco the mclaren should of had the edge.

They have not changed anything to do with the engine, engine design is frozen and they are not allowed to change anything, the reason why Mclaren are catching is that Redbull had to modify 4 areas of the car which were deemed to be outside the rules.

This thread: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/84119 may help they are trying to switch to Merc engines as they believe the Renault is around 30bhp down.

Thats not tottaly correct. The engine components and design are frozen, but oils and how the oils work, oil and air supply and how they mix etc can all be changed to improve the performance; this is where the merc and ferrari engine made the performance leaps a couple of years ago as all engines were roughly equal  when starting out. The engine can also be changed on reliability grounds (which if you remember last year, there was alot of reliabilty problems with the engine). Renault also came out publicly last year stating that they were unaware that engine suppliers will still developing the engines in terms of oils etc which resulted in the renault unit standing still whilst others advanced.

With regards redbull modifying there car, yes they did have to, but the areas which they changed made very little if any difference. In fact mclaren have also had to change parts of their diffuser a couple of races ago. Its a continous cycle in F1 where other teams report to the FIA areas on other cars that they think may break the rules. The FIA investigate and advise the teams. We rarely hear about these goings on, and the redbull changes at monaco and at turkey, and the mclaren and merc diffuser changes were all mentioned in passing.