Author Topic: How much will this cost me??  (Read 2541 times)

Offline Justins145bhpMK1

• I live here
How much will this cost me??
« on: 18 December 2003, 15:48 »
JUst got hold of some 30mm drop springs for my MK1, already got BOGE turbogas shock so just need the springs fitted.

How much should I expect to fork out at a reasonable garage to get them put on? Dont fancy tackling this myself.

Offline Gambit

• Forum addict
Re:How much will this cost me??
« Reply #1 on: 18 December 2003, 15:50 »
ring round a few places, your talkin anything between ?50 - ?90

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #2 on: 18 December 2003, 16:13 »
JUst got hold of some 30mm drop springs for my MK1, already got BOGE turbogas shock so just need the springs fitted.

How much should I expect to fork out at a reasonable garage to get them put on? Dont fancy tackling this myself.

Really not a difficult job to do yourself if you're reasonably mechanically minded......which from previous posts I would have thought you were.
?20 for a set of compression springs and maybe ?10 to ?20 to for a ball joint seperator, if necessary..........then you have the tools for subsequent jobs ;D

golfvr6

« Reply #3 on: 18 December 2003, 16:23 »
Easy job, especially if it has been off recently. You won't need a balljoint separator if you have separate wheel bearing housing and strut.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 18 December 2003, 16:30 »
Easy job, especially if it has been off recently. You won't need a balljoint separator if you have separate wheel bearing housing and strut.

Won't that mess up the camber angle if you disconnect the hub from the strut? Or am I in Mk1 mode ::)
I usually take the whole strut out.

golfvr6

« Reply #5 on: 18 December 2003, 16:38 »

Won't that mess up the camber angle if you disconnect the hub from the strut? Or am I in Mk1 mode ::)
I usually take the whole strut out.

You take the whole strut out and the hub? why?
That is making a lot of work for yourself. If it splits then split it , but mark it first. Can always reset the camber afterwards.

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #6 on: 18 December 2003, 16:50 »
I don't like to interfere with the camber.
I don't think its a lot of extra work. Undo 2 bolts and remove brake caliper (I usually support it with a length of lock wire to prevent it from hanging from the hose), Disconnect steering tie rod ball joint (I have a seperator that makes it easy) and undo the lower wishbone bolt.

Ok you just undo 2 bolts and leave the hub in place but I've never yet got that camber angle spot on subsequently and have had to have the geometry redone.........for the sake of 10 mins, I'd rather do it my way, but hey, each to their own..........I used to do it your way ;)

golfvr6

« Reply #7 on: 18 December 2003, 16:55 »
I have to disagree there. I took out the complete unit on a polo, cos i had no choice its all one, it was a right pain in the arse. But then i had to separate the lower balljoint rather than undo the bolts on the wishbones (its all one unit as you probably know), the lower balljoint don't like to shift. I ended up taking off the control arm too, cos it was easier!
Its quite easy to set the camber with spirit levels, there is enough tolerence to allow for it to be done this way.

Ho Ho Ho
 :D :D :D

Offline richandhazel

• Global Moderator
  • Forum addict
« Reply #8 on: 18 December 2003, 17:00 »
Know what you're saying........I had to do Hazels Audi recently and ended up having to remove the whole bloody wishbone, there just wasn't enough downward movement of the wishbone to remove the strut.........horses for courses I guess.

golfvr6

« Reply #9 on: 18 December 2003, 17:05 »
Is the audi coupe the complete strut with hub? i know the early ones were. I done the top mounts on my dads Audi 90 quattro and it was a pain. It did have a separate strut and hub, but the track rod and the anti roll bar linkage mounted on the strut.
Have you tried setting the camber with spirit levels, it really is quite effective. Shame i haven't got a way of setting up the toe..