Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 285387 times)

Offline MrBounce

• I live here
  • Bora TDi 130 Highline - usually filthy.
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #3670 on: 28 September 2012, 18:09 »
Money may have been a bit of a stumbling block in the negotiations though - due to having to pay for their Mercedes engines, they didn't have the budget to up or even equal his wages so he would have had to take a pay cut. Simple fact is that McLaren couldn't really afford him.

I reckon what's happened is (in very basic terms, without all the legal wrangles, endorsements etc) that Lewis said something along the lines of "Look guys, I've been to another team, they've offered me £x. If you can match it I'll stay". They couldn't and/or wouldn't so bye bye.

I have to say it's about time that a fresh face appeared in one of the top teams.

Wonder what price you would have got at the beginning of this season for Perez being at McLaren in 2013???  :shocked:

Keeping schtum. Mostly.

Offline scarr89

• I live here
  • Mk4 Golf, DERV FTW!
« Reply #3671 on: 28 September 2012, 18:39 »
Money may have been a bit of a stumbling block in the negotiations though - due to having to pay for their Mercedes engines, they didn't have the budget to up or even equal his wages so he would have had to take a pay cut. Simple fact is that McLaren couldn't really afford him.

I reckon what's happened is (in very basic terms, without all the legal wrangles, endorsements etc) that Lewis said something along the lines of "Look guys, I've been to another team, they've offered me £x. If you can match it I'll stay". They couldn't and/or wouldn't so bye bye.

I have to say it's about time that a fresh face appeared in one of the top teams.

Wonder what price you would have got at the beginning of this season for Perez being at McLaren in 2013???  :shocked:

Quite possibly. Just don't get it. He must have been unhappy at Mclaren as any 7 figure sum of money would have kept me happy!

1/500+ I reckon!  :lipsrsealed:

Offline The Mighty Elvi

• I live here
  • I'm better than you today.
« Reply #3672 on: 28 September 2012, 20:00 »
Despite public protestation Mclaren wanted Lewis to go.  Why's that then? money money money.

"Lewis and Jenson are great ambassadors and great assets, but for some of our partners to have a European and a Latin in our team is very appealing," said Whitmarsh

"You'll never please everyone, but there were some partners who were uncomfortable with the Britishness of our team and its line-up, and clearly we have a broader appeal now."

1. Vodafone major sponsor of McLaren
2. Perez sponsored by Telmex of Mexico, own by Carlos Slim, Worlds richest man.
3. Vodafone forging links in Latin America with Telmex.

http://www.sportinglife.com/formula1/news/article/669/8118395/whitmarsh-sees-the-positive

:whistle:

Offline RandomJord

• I live here
« Reply #3673 on: 28 September 2012, 21:06 »
Carlos Slim does sound like a gangster nick name!

Skoda Octavia VRS DSG (soon!)
Skoda Rapid Spaceback

An a Signum for towing me old caravan!

VW BUSH

« Reply #3674 on: 28 September 2012, 23:35 »
Could they feel they are stuck with Button now as LH and JB covered a lot of bases for McLaren?
JB just cant wrinse out a bad car or set up like LH so they will need a spot on motor to challenge with him as a lead driver, Perez is just a little rash for me reminds me of JPM.
I see them blowing the bank for Vettel if the opportunity arises in the future...

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #3675 on: 28 September 2012, 23:42 »
Another 12 moths and they'd have taken him off to France without telling his paremts!

you been on the sauce when you posted this  :whistle:

Offline X4MGS

• I live here
  • VAG Parts SNOB!!!
« Reply #3676 on: 29 September 2012, 02:04 »
IMHO... Which maybe nuts... But it makes more common sense to me anyway...

LH has left; Not for money... He has enough anyway, all he wants is to win another WC, He must emulate Senna no matter what (Senna was the same when he moved to Williams...)

MB have been up front and told him that come 2014 Mc will have to BUY engines from MB and they (MB)will have the cutting edge when it comes to this and do you really want to be in a MB 2nd team??? Ie Red Bull - Torro Rosso senareo.... and he has looked at it from that point of view and would rather be at the cutting edge with MB and if he can earn more money whilst doing it - why not....

Lets not forget it's not just Mclaren that have had him since 13 years old - Its has been Mclaren backed by Merc Benz....

I think it's a smart move - but one that is fraut with danger.....

Whatever he's a British Driver and I want him to win... Or JB Or PD.... any one of the 3 will do me as long as it keeps the Germans or Spanish drivers from winning & who care's who he drives for...
« Last Edit: 29 September 2012, 02:06 by X4MGS »

High Quality Chrome & Black Enamel Golf GTI Keyring's.
For More Info Click To See;
My Thread On Here  Or My Ebay Store!

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #3677 on: 29 September 2012, 11:01 »
IMHO... Which maybe nuts... But it makes more common sense to me anyway...

LH has left; Not for money... He has enough anyway, all he wants is to win another WC, He must emulate Senna no matter what (Senna was the same when he moved to Williams...)

But Senna moved after dominating F1 in a mclaren and moved to a team that at the time had active suspension, which was something that was seconds ahead of the field, like brawn in 09 with the double diffuser. Unlucky for him the season he moved is the season the active suspension was banned.

You do have to think about 2014 though as you've pointed out, maybe that's going to be the advantage. As I said before works teams will have pretty much unlimited resources in development of the new engines, however a team like mclaren, even as a customer team, you can't count out. They're always going to be there.

Offline MS1COYS

• I live here
  • Alfie 'H' 10-09-11
« Reply #3678 on: 29 September 2012, 13:34 »
Is it possible that Mclaren will switch engine suppliers? I don't know if its feasible or too much work between seasons or maybe even just too much of a gamble.

Mclaren Renault FTW  :wink:
Evolution Map / Longlife USA 80mm TBE w/100 cell Sports Cat / ITG Maxogen G60 / Forge Twintercooler/ Forge TB Hose / R8 Coilpacks / EBC D&G Front & Rear Discs / EBC Yellowstuff Pads / BSH PCV Kit / Poly Pro Front & Rear / W.A.L.K / APR Torque Arm / 034Motorsport Density Line Engine Mounts / Vibratechnics Subframe Mount / Vibratechnics Dogbone Bush

292bhp / 287lbft

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #3679 on: 29 September 2012, 13:51 »
Why change when mercedes is better than renault?