Author Topic: Right or wrong?  (Read 1471 times)

Offline CraigW

• I live here
Re: Right or wrong?
« Reply #10 on: 04 February 2014, 13:45 »
How can you say that he takes over driving in a very safe manor? If your over the limit you should not be driving full stop.

His intentions may have been admiral but he took a massive risk with his life and other drivers on the road. Lets say he had been involved in a smash then you could be looking at fatalities and a prison sentence let alone a driving ban. He clearly didnt think about the wider consequences.

Offline Pinky 1959

• Not said much yet
« Reply #11 on: 04 February 2014, 14:17 »
It was  a stupid thing to do drive drunk but depending on the condition of the driver (which you don't say about ) should he /she been driving if unwell and how far on the motorway had you driven before getting to the point you were at ?eg had you passed a junction previously that you could have got off motorway .

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #12 on: 04 February 2014, 14:50 »
Driver had a turn due to a head injury a couple hours previous. In hindsight shouldn't have driven but felt find bar a headache!

Person wasn't drunk as such and can handle alcohol well. In fact I'd bet nobody bar the smell of drink would be able to tell he'd even had a drink!

Hard one. I guess risk taken and happy ending.

Question, if he hadn't had a drink but still uninsured, what then?

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.

Offline Carl!

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2014, 18:17 »
I'd still drive.

what if he was getting sucked off by a midget?

Offline Thom89

• Forum addict
  • Looking for an "Icebreaker"
« Reply #14 on: 04 February 2014, 19:22 »
Remember folks, if you're going to drink and drive... Take your car!

Thom

Offline Adam

• Forum addict
« Reply #15 on: 04 February 2014, 20:01 »
Two wrongs don't make a right....

Down Hill From Here.

Offline DubFan

• I live here
« Reply #16 on: 04 February 2014, 22:54 »
So original driver was sober, but had a head injury that was getting worse?
Second driver was drunk and not insured for the car? Were they insured on their own car? If they were, that might cover them for an emergency trip.
The last time I had 3rd Party F&T insurance (a few years ago from Elephant), it didn't cover general use of another car, but would cover driving someone elses car in an emergency. So if that was the case, he'd have been fine insurance wise.
As for being drunk, then he'd have to deal with that if the police got involved. And if they didn't get involved or suspect he was drunk enough to breathalise him, then they wouldn't be able to prove it unless they tested his blood-alcohol level within a certain time of the incident.

Maybe moving the car off the road onto the grass would have been a better option, you would have been seen on CCTV anyway and they would have dispatched someone to check it out.
You do the best you can and given the options available, you make the choice you think is best at the time.

Has the person with the head injury recovered?
Are the police involved?

Offline Nino

• I live here
« Reply #17 on: 04 February 2014, 22:55 »
I think we can all agree that this has been taken in two concepts.
However, imho i would not of driven hell i wont drive even if i have had a half pint. I wont risk it and never will, lost someone close that drunk drove. Personally i would of called the police, ensured that they are fully aware of the importance of the situation and waited.
VW Car history
Mk3 1.8 GL - Silver - 5 door
Mk4 1.8t - Silver - 3 door
Mk4 R32 - Black - 5 door
Mk5 GTi - Black - 5 door
Mk4 R32 - Deep Pearl Blue - 3 door
MK6 2.0 TDI - Graphite Blue - 5 door
MK7 GTD - Solid Black - 5 door
MK6 GTi Edition 35 - Candy White - 3 door

Offline Bellend

• I live here
« Reply #18 on: 04 February 2014, 23:17 »
Original driver totally sober, not a single drink.

Second quite possibly has third party cover but at the time assumed none.

No police involved at all.

Person recovered fine.

Impossible to get it right off the road unfortunately other than going down a deep ditch!

I guess the thread is irrelevant along with the parents/others opinions as all very easy to say things, different when you have someone throwing up and in a right state on the side of the motorway, with lorries inching away from the car, in the dark on a slight bend.

I'd have done the same I think.

Where all my moneys went.

Golf MK3 1.6. Golf MK3 8v GTI.