Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2838096 times)

Offline kalimon

• I live here
  • My other car's a van
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4850 on: 25 June 2016, 19:08 »
Gave it it's first wash in a month!
It was a disgrace and was letting the rest of the street down, so it had to be done.
How do wheels possibly get so fecking dirty ?
I would have taken a couple of pics but my 6 plus got water damaged in my pocket during Mondays rain fest so I'm now phoneless :cry:
5 DR Mk 7 GTI PP
Carbon Grey, Dynaudio, Car Net App, High Beam Assist, Rear View Camera. Collected 14/03/16

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4851 on: 25 June 2016, 21:33 »
Gave it it's first wash in a month!
It was a disgrace and was letting the rest of the street down, so it had to be done.
How do wheels possibly get so fecking dirty ?
I would have taken a couple of pics but my 6 plus got water damaged in my pocket during Mondays rain fest so I'm now phoneless :cry:

Not washed mine in about a month either (or certainly feels like it)! :shocked: Will try and get it done when the windscreen has been done.
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Jackie Treehorn

« Reply #4852 on: 26 June 2016, 07:38 »
I wouldn't sweat not getting a VW windscreen, my original windscreen cracked in the first week of my R ownership with a pretty insubstantial (as judged by the noise) stone impact, and it was replaced with a St Gobain Quartz one which has put up with far more impacts since and is still going strong with a tiny shallow chip that can't be filled. For me the Official VW one was a bit on the brittle side. Had similar experiences with my other VWs - had a Polo with an internal crack right in the corner missed on PDI. The dealership agreed it had always been there and replaced the windscreen, it lasted about a week and then the replacement was far more resilient. Screens are getting far thinner in the name of weight saving, but they're a lot more fragile too.

I agree, mine is a none VW screen now and better than my original.  I spoke to my local windscreen company that have the contract for VW dealerships in my area (as they also work for us) and unless its warranty they said VW never fit genuine, so many of the cars on the forecourt that are for sale just have a standard none genuine screen fitted if required.  They explained they could fit a genuine screen, but i wouldn't be able to tell the difference, and I'm not sure i can.     

Offline davewilliams000

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4853 on: 26 June 2016, 08:25 »
I agree really. I had 2 windscreens' replaced on my previous fiesta which im sure weren't original ford ones and couldn't tell the difference, despite them being heated. Presumably there's no difference between windscreens on the gtd and a standard golf.
2015 65 plate Mk7 GTD Manual in Tornado Red

https://www.flickr.com/photos/davewilliams000

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4854 on: 26 June 2016, 08:30 »
Windscreen replacements tend to be very good these days in my experience. I had 2 screens replaced in my MK6. If I didn't know it was done I'd never have known. Actually I remember the wipers squeaked like crazy on the original screen, no amount of cleaning or blades replacement resolved it. But once I had a new screen fitted the squeaking stopped - added bonus  :laugh:
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4855 on: 26 June 2016, 09:06 »
A genuine windscreen if you can call it that only has the vw logo on it. Glass only comes from Pilkington or St Gobain and then each manufacturer just gets a logo added.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline Mk7-GTD

• Here all the time
« Reply #4856 on: 26 June 2016, 09:53 »
The reason I suggested a genuine VW windscreen was because when I had the screen changed on my MK5 R32 I thought I get new wipers as the car had gone through a hole winter. First time it rained the wipers were missing a spot right in front of my eyeline. The old ones were gone by that time so back to the dealer and got them swaped out for another set but they were the same.

Turned out to be a dip on the screen so I went back to the windscreen place and they ordered a VW one and said that the non factory spec ones often have flaws in them and that they reject loads of them. When they fitted the new one it was 3mm thicker. That was in 2006

For squeaky windscreens a good claybaring helps a lot, also gets a fair bit of cr@p off the screen.

Offline JoeGTI

• I live here
« Reply #4857 on: 26 June 2016, 12:30 »
Oh I tried everything under the sun to clean it. Clay bar, every glass cleaner going, I tried them all. Nothing worked. Changed the blades a few times, tried the Bosch versions rather than VW's and nothing helped. I'm convinced it was a defect in the screen itself but the dealers weren't interested. The replacement screen with the same wipers was perfect.
MK8 GTI Clubsport. Reflex silver, Estorils, and a few other bits.

Offline monkeyhanger

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4858 on: 26 June 2016, 18:30 »
My Wipers perform better on replacement screens than the original screen. The Autoglass guy gave the new screen a serious solvent clean (with a mystery solvent that wasn't water and didn't smell like acetone or alcohol) prior to fitment and said most car manufacturers don't do this prior to factory fitment.
Whey ya bugger! It's finally arrived after an 8 month wait....
MK7 R 5 door, manual, Lapiz Blue, Prets.

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #4859 on: 26 June 2016, 20:58 »
Thursday, actually, did a really good clean and got a coat of Collinite 476S wax all over. Good wax, if proper hard work, but managed a great shine. It's rained every day since, but the beading is awesome!

Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.