Author Topic: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?  (Read 2838447 times)

Online Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What have you done to your MK 7 today ?
« Reply #4310 on: 23 April 2016, 08:59 »
If the body shop do a proper job you shouldn't see any differences in any light so don't worry. If you get it back and you're not happy tell them on the day. Is it going to an approved VW place?

Cheers mcmaddy, not VW approved but Watts approved!
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline p3asa

• Forum addict
« Reply #4311 on: 23 April 2016, 09:53 »
I don't think its just red that's hard to match. When I go out at night with the dog you can spot a mile away the cars that have been resprayed. Especially those that have individual panels done rather than having it blown into other panels.  During the day they look fine.
In fact I'd go a step further and say you can actually see the difference in most colours between plastic and metal if you look carefully. One of the detailers I went to for a quote shone a light gun on our fuel flap (black car) and it turned a mucky black. Completely different to the body of the car.
I can now see that at night only because it was pointed out to me.

With it not being a VW approved bodyshop I'd imagine you will lose the anti-perforation warranty but I'm not so sure that's worth anything nowadays.

Having said all that, the biggest problem with body shop repairs is finding one that you are satisfied with and this goes a long way to how you will feel about the repair. You've got one your happy with and I'm sure everything will be just fine. Hope it goes well for you.

HIS: R 5dr DSG Lapiz: Tech Pack: Keyless: 90% Tints: Pretorias: Rear View Camera
HERS:  GTI 5dr Manual DBP: Parking Pack: Car-Net App: 90% Privacy Glass. Ordered 05-12-15. Delivered 03-03-16
DONATED TO SON:  GTD 5dr Manual White: Nav Pro: Dynaudio: Winter Pack: Sport & Sound Pack: Rear View Camera: Park Assist. Ordered 19-02-14. Delivered: 07-06-14

Offline Eccie

• Here all the time
  • Keyless & Penniless
« Reply #4312 on: 23 April 2016, 10:01 »
I think you need to tell the garage that you'll be working late on the day that you collect the car after the repair and ask them if you can call around 10pm  :evil:

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #4313 on: 23 April 2016, 14:55 »
Gave it a good clean, ready for it to rain  :grin:

Offline Talk-torque

• I live here
« Reply #4314 on: 23 April 2016, 18:06 »
Just gone over 500 miles, so gave the dsg a gentle workout in manual. Very impressed! Does it for me.  :laugh:
Roger.

Pure White MY19 GTI PP 5 Door DSG with 19” Brescias.

Offline Cossieian

• Here all the time
« Reply #4315 on: 23 April 2016, 19:25 »
Changed Wheels over, quick wash and a much needed Hoover  :smiley:

Current: MK7 Golf R (Limestone Grey) DSG, 19 Prets, Winter Pack, Rear Camera, High Beam Assist, Apple Connect, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf R (Tornado Red) DSG, Winter Pack, Keyless, Gloss Black Mirrors
Gone: MK7 Golf GTD (Pure White)

Offline KyleB

• I live here
« Reply #4316 on: 23 April 2016, 19:44 »
Love the wheels, looks great mate. Tornado Red is a lovely colour.

Offline ASKendrew

• Not said much yet
  • 2016 MK7 Golf GTI with Performance Pack
« Reply #4317 on: 24 April 2016, 01:06 »
Untitled by

Just did what you said Rebecca so her goes

Makes me excited to get mine! :cool:
What are you getting and when?

I'm getting a Carbon Grey GTI with PP, Carplay and Parking Pack :grin:! Doesn't come until July though and I sold my current daily yesterday which will make the next 3 months even more fun :smiley:.
Sold: VW Beetle 1.4 TSI with Airlift Performance Suspension, USA R-Line Bumpers and Rotiform SNA.

Current: Carbon Grey MK7 Golf GTI with Performance Pack, CarPlay and Parking Pack.

Co-founder of Pure Dents & Deck Mate UK.

Offline mcmaddy

• Forum addict
« Reply #4318 on: 24 April 2016, 08:07 »
I don't think its just red that's hard to match. When I go out at night with the dog you can spot a mile away the cars that have been resprayed. Especially those that have individual panels done rather than having it blown into other panels.  During the day they look fine.
In fact I'd go a step further and say you can actually see the difference in most colours between plastic and metal if you look carefully. One of the detailers I went to for a quote shone a light gun on our fuel flap (black car) and it turned a mucky black. Completely different to the body of the car.
I can now see that at night only because it was pointed out to me.

With it not being a VW approved bodyshop I'd imagine you will lose the anti-perforation warranty but I'm not so sure that's worth anything nowadays.

Having said all that, the biggest problem with body shop repairs is finding one that you are satisfied with and this goes a long way to how you will feel about the repair. You've got one your happy with and I'm sure everything will be just fine. Hope it goes well for you.
You shouldn't have any differences in paint colour wether it be a metal panel or a plastic bumper. If the jobs done 100% correctly it should be a match no matter what panel or light condition.
TCR, Pure Grey, DCC, Dynaudio and Climate Screen.

Offline dave7268

• GTI forum regular
« Reply #4319 on: 24 April 2016, 10:09 »
You shouldn't have any differences in paint colour wether it be a metal panel or a plastic bumper. If the jobs done 100% correctly it should be a match no matter what panel or light condition.

Actually I would have to say that is not entirely true and this can easily been seen on silver coloured car.  :smiley:

From factory the paint on the plastic panels can look ever so slightly different from the metal panels - I witnessed this on my last golf which was reflex silver and you only noticed it if you looked at the plastic panels from a certain angle in a certain light. It was ever so noticeable on the petrol cap cover.

I have a good friend who has his own business and has been respraying cars for over 30 years and his work is second to none. He will always tell his customers that painting on plastic parts can result (doesn't always) but can result in an ever so slight difference in the colour despite having an exact 100% colour match with the paints/materials used.
7GTI PP DSG - no longer