Author Topic: Ye Olde Cutting Out problem...(or maybe not now)  (Read 1278 times)

Offline admc6

• I live here
As you can see from the title i have the very common cutting out issue.

I have a P reg Golf GTI 8v Anniversary.
The car starts great and idles very well, but the engine will cut out on me. This seems to happen when the oil temp reaches 60. It always happens a t the point. The car will start up straight after but will cut out again about 72 on the oil temp. Again it will start straight away, well thats untill it cuts out, when it wont start untill its had a rest of 5mins. I have had the car on vag com but it doesnt show up any faults

I have been trying to solve this problem through post left on numerous golf forums.
So far i have changed...
-ECU relay
-Fuel Pump relay
-Hall sender
-Distributor Cap
-Rotar arm
-Engine Speed sensor
-Engine coolant temperature sensor
-The ECU has been checked for faults
-Cleaned Throttle body
-HT leads
-Checked vacuum pipes for holes

Has anyone got any ideas what might be causing this cutting out? Its doing my head in  :angry:
« Last Edit: 25 May 2008, 15:11 by admc6 »

Offline DazVR6

• I live here
  • mk3 VR6...FEEL THE GRUNT.
Re: Ye Olde Cutting Out problem...
« Reply #1 on: 23 May 2008, 21:48 »
Was the engine speed senser a genuine one from the stealers..? coz i have heard that other aftermarket ones are not up to the job.

Same with the relays, are they genuine..?

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2008, 21:53 »
They are all genuine parts

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2008, 10:24 »
Dont suppose anyone lives around the wirral area who could help me with this problem?

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2008, 10:52 »
Hate to say it, but i think its going to have to go to VW  :undecided:

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2008, 12:12 »
I know i know me again...

Just re-checked all the hose connections and opened the throttle body butterfly to give the throttle body a good spray with carb cleaner.
Started her up - was a bit rough but put this down to the carb cleaner so pushed the accelerator to fire properly. After that was idleing and reving well, so left her to idle.

Suprise suprise the car cut out when the oil temp got to 60. This time though the car wouldnt start straight away, so decided to leave it a couple of mins. Still no luck though.

I cant help but think that it has something to do with that temp.
If it was an air leak i wouldnt have thought that it would happen at exactly the same point every time.
I also dont think it would be a sensor either as you dont get any fault codes when its run on diagnostic equipment.

Does anyone know what else might cause it?

Offline DazVR6

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2008, 13:43 »
Sounds temp related to me aswell if its always cutting out exactly at 60c, isn't there 2 temp sensers, correct me if im wrong, one for the ecu and one for the actual guage, are you sure you replaced the right one..?

Have you actually removed your breather hoses and checked em for cracks and splits..?

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2008, 13:58 »
I changed the engine coolant temperature sensor (ECT), the one on the front of the engine block.

Where is the other one located?

I have had most of them off and cant find a fault. Checked the others, but the all seem ok.
It just seems to funny its always at 60 on the oil temp.

It wouldnt be the coil would it?

Offline admc6

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2008, 14:15 »
Just been researching my problem again. Found out the EGR causes this sort of problem. Where abouts is it?

Offline DazVR6

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2008, 14:19 »
Usually with the coil its more of an intermitant/random cutting out as the coil deteriorates until finally it will just fail to start. Not sure where the t other temp senser is but im sure theres 2.

Have you tried cleaning the maf as mentioned in the other post , did this and it got rid of a fault code on my vr so worth a try.