Author Topic: F1 Thread  (Read 287549 times)

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
Re: F1 Thread
« Reply #1860 on: 19 November 2010, 19:49 »
I agree with Khare about Button.

I don't.
I think Button is consistent with his driving, is not out to impress with fandabidosey driving, and more often than the other drivers brings his car home in one peice. He knows the tyre choice, knows how to look after them and that is how he does well in the races.
He is by no means the quickest driver out there, but he knows how to drive and adopts the policy that the quickest does not necessarily win races. Look at the diesel cars on the Le-Mans circuit now. No way the fastest cars, but they do win because they are consistent with their laps and have to stop fewer times. Button is the same with his tyres. He is able to produce fast laps on the same tyres that other drivers find difficulty in making them last quarter of the race. Therefore, he makes less stops.
I feel very confident that Button will be champion again because of his non flambouyant style. He just quietly gets the job done.
And yes, he may complain about his car set up, but then who doesn't?

THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline Phil1980

• I live here
« Reply #1861 on: 19 November 2010, 20:18 »
Best drivers in my opinion in order would be Hamilton, Vettel, Alonso.  Button is a good driver but he is a completely different style of driver to the others he is Mr Consistant.
MK5 2005 GTI, BLACK, 3 DR, 18" MONZA II, XENONS

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #1862 on: 19 November 2010, 22:10 »
Ferrari actually didnt make a miscalculation, from a defending point of view they made a perfect calculation and managed to keep Alonso out infront of Webber.

of course they made a miscalculation.

they looked at webber as the main concern rather than the man who was leading from the start and who was going to get enough points to win the WDC if they finished lower than a certain position.

they've all raced at yas marina before so know how hard it is to overtake but still pulled alonso in to pit and put him behind 3 more cars that had already pitted plus the three cars at the front who could pull away and make up enough time for a free pit stop. That all left webber irrelevant to alonsos championship and alonso in 7th place.
If they'd ignored webber and carried on they'd have finished 4th without having to overtake anyone and alonso would have won the WDC.

seems like a miscalcultion to me.

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #1863 on: 20 November 2010, 18:17 »
Ferrari actually didnt make a miscalculation, from a defending point of view they made a perfect calculation and managed to keep Alonso out infront of Webber.

they looked at webber as the main concern rather than the man who was leading from the start and who was going to get enough points to win the WDC if they finished lower than a certain position.

they've all raced at yas marina before so know how hard it is to overtake but still pulled alonso in to pit and put him behind 3 more cars that had already pitted plus the three cars at the front who could pull away and make up enough time for a free pit stop. That all left webber irrelevant to alonsos championship and alonso in 7th place.
If they'd ignored webber and carried on they'd have finished 4th without having to overtake anyone and alonso would have won the WDC.

If you look at the time in the race and look how webbers lap times were and look at where the other drivers were you will notice it was a good calculation by Ferrari, Webber pitted, came out of the pits, set a good few lap times then caught the rest of the pack who needed to pit. Ferrari noticed that webber was fast (which in pit stop terms, Webber would have passed alonso when he pitted) so they pitted Alonso and got him out infront of webber expecting the drivers in front to pit when also realising the faster times that alonso and Webber were producing on new tyres however this wasnt the case as the other drivers remained in there own competition and did not see the need to compete against Alonso or Webber.

Ferrari didnt mis-calculate, from a calculation point of view they did very well keeping Alonso infront of Webber. It was external factors of other drivers pit times that ruined Alonso and Webbers race.

In most races if one driver sets fast lap times on a new set of tyres the other drivers quickly pit and change the tyres. Just after the Alonso/Webber stops you herd various drivers engineers contacting there drivers asking how the tyres were performing

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept

Offline Khare

• Serious forum addict
  • The bear that khares
« Reply #1864 on: 20 November 2010, 19:25 »
Yes but you're forgetting that weber had to win it. For that he had 2 mclarens and his teammate to pass. Ferrari should have focused on 5th place which was all they needed.

Offline JC

• Global Moderator
  • 10k hero
  • Back in the North.
« Reply #1865 on: 20 November 2010, 19:28 »
Yes but you're forgetting that weber had to win it. For that he had 2 mclarens and his teammate to pass. Ferrari should have focused on 5th place which was all they needed.

:laugh:

Offline DarnPB

• I live here
  • Formerly Darnpistonbroke
« Reply #1866 on: 20 November 2010, 19:54 »

:laugh:

:grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin: :grin:

THE FORUMS NUMBER ONE ANTI-FOOTBALL FAN!!!

Offline monkeyalan

• I live here
« Reply #1867 on: 20 November 2010, 21:37 »

If you look at the time in the race and look how webbers lap times were and look at where the other drivers were you will notice it was a good calculation by Ferrari, Webber pitted, came out of the pits, set a good few lap times then caught the rest of the pack who needed to pit. Ferrari noticed that webber was fast (which in pit stop terms, Webber would have passed alonso when he pitted) so they pitted Alonso and got him out infront of webber expecting the drivers in front to pit when also realising the faster times that alonso and Webber were producing on new tyres however this wasnt the case as the other drivers remained in there own competition and did not see the need to compete against Alonso or Webber.

Ferrari didnt mis-calculate, from a calculation point of view they did very well keeping Alonso infront of Webber. It was external factors of other drivers pit times that ruined Alonso and Webbers race.

In most races if one driver sets fast lap times on a new set of tyres the other drivers quickly pit and change the tyres. Just after the Alonso/Webber stops you herd various drivers engineers contacting there drivers asking how the tyres were performing

ok , you're 100% right. ferrari did everything perfectly and didn't make any mistaken calculations for the entire race. that must be why alonso is world champion now.

VeeDubGTI16v

« Reply #1868 on: 21 November 2010, 07:50 »
it was also down to a few slow laps by hamilton and vettel at the front, looking like their tyres were finished, but their tyres came good again and their pace increased for the next 10 or so laps. Alonso came in while they were slowing.

theres a good explination in autosport, some f**king clever people out on the pit wall!

Offline smitty12

• I live here
  • R32
« Reply #1869 on: 21 November 2010, 09:58 »
theres a good explination in autosport, some f**king clever people out on the pit wall!

Exactly, it was a well calculated risk taken by Ferrari but unfortunatly for them the tyres came back to other drivers which delayed there pit stops till further in the race and thats what ruined Alonso and Webbers race.

It would have been a miscalculation if Ferrari had calculated the tyre de-grading process over time which over a track that is constantly developing is impossible. No one could have calculated if a tyre would degrade and produce slow lap times then "come back to life" and be able to put in fast times again  :undecided:

but anywho, luck of the draw and Vettle won it, if the other teams catch up technically for next year Vettle has no chance!  :grin:

Mk7 Golf GTI Clubsport S Tornado Red - on the way!
Mk4 Golf R32 Grey Anthracite Pearl Effect
Mk4 Golf GTI 2.slow Yellow Colour Concept