Author Topic: What's a reasonable mileage on used GTI PP these days?  (Read 2113 times)

Offline KieranD79

• Not said much yet
What's a reasonable mileage on used GTI PP these days?
« on: 06 December 2021, 10:23 »
Hey everyone,

As my search of a MK7.5 continues, I'm seeing 2019 cars with anything from 5k to 40k on them.  This has lead me to ask myself the question of what is considered to be a reasonable mileage for 2.5-3 year old cars in these recent times of home working and lockdowns.  Google suggests 6-7k per year, which is about right for my personal situation, but is that really realistic.

My eye has just been drawn to another car thats up for sale that I had originally overlooked due to colour (originally only wanted Indium Grey) and mileage.  It's a good spec in Deep Black but I don't really know anything about the history yet.

So, whats peoples opinions of an April 2019 GTI PP DSG with 31k on the clock?
Would you move along given that others are out there with less mileage or give it a proper look?

It's been a while since I bought my Mk6 and a lot has changed in the market so any perspective/clarity is most appreciated.  :smiley:

Cheers!
2019 Mk7.5 GTI PP, DSG, Indium Grey, Arts Velour, 90% tints, Brescia’s

Gone but not forgotten - 2012 Mk6 GTI, Manual, Carbon Grey, Leather, RNS510 Nav, Bi-xenons, Glendale’s, Lux Pack, Cruise

Offline Watts

• Forum addict
Re: What's a reasonable mileage on used GTI PP these days?
« Reply #1 on: 06 December 2021, 10:41 »
Buy on condition and history.
2019 Oryx White 5dr TCR.

Was - 2015 Tornado Red 3dr GTI PP, manual, Santiagos, Audi short shifter.

Offline JMS

• Not said much yet
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2021, 11:03 »

This.

Motorway miles hardly stress the engine.
Traffic light Grand Prix starts from cold are much worse.
Previous Dubs now sold:
- Manual Mk7 CSG PP, stg1, RS3 bushes, 26mm RARB & a lot of carnauba.
- DSG mkV R32, black with even more carnauba
- Manual Corrado VR6, dragon green
- Manual Polo G40 - Tornado red, Jabbasport ported charger
- Mk2 Big Bumper 8v GTI, Calypso blue

Offline Sootchucker

• I live here
« Reply #3 on: 06 December 2021, 12:10 »
My May 2018 MK7.5 GTI has just clicked over 20,000 miles, so my average is approx. 5,600 per year.

Prior to Covid, I was doing approx. 8000 miles per year, so various lockdowns and part working from home has really reduced my mileage. 
2022 Tiguan R-Line 2.0 TSI 4-Motion. Nightshade blue, pano roof, IQ lights, Nav Pro, Harmon Kardon, Heated Windscreen, Heated rear seats, Wireless charging, Heads up display, dual height boot floor, Keyless with electric tailgate, Electronic TPMS, underbody protection, Area View Cameras

Offline Exonian

• Serious forum addict
« Reply #4 on: 06 December 2021, 16:16 »
Since when did 6-7k PA constitute average mileage? 10-12k more like I’d have thought. 6-7k on a town based microcar, anything that does commuting and weekend trips is going to be way higher than that, dependant on where you live in the country of course.

This.

Motorway miles hardly stress the engine.
Traffic light Grand Prix starts from cold are much worse.

Also that (what Watts said).

Bear in mind motorway cars can get peppered with stonechips though.
And black swirls to buggery.
Dark blue and dark grey seem to attract scratches.

You should’ve bought the Tungsten car…    :whistle:
‘23 8R
Serial white Golf owner

Offline AGB

• I live here
« Reply #5 on: 06 December 2021, 17:50 »
Hey everyone,

As my search of a MK7.5 continues, I'm seeing 2019 cars with anything from 5k to 40k on them.  This has lead me to ask myself the question of what is considered to be a reasonable mileage for 2.5-3 year old cars in these recent times of home working and lockdowns.  Google suggests 6-7k per year, which is about right for my personal situation, but is that really realistic.

My eye has just been drawn to another car thats up for sale that I had originally overlooked due to colour (originally only wanted Indium Grey) and mileage.  It's a good spec in Deep Black but I don't really know anything about the history yet.

So, whats peoples opinions of an April 2019 GTI PP DSG with 31k on the clock?
Would you move along given that others are out there with less mileage or give it a proper look?

It's been a while since I bought my Mk6 and a lot has changed in the market so any perspective/clarity is most appreciated.  :smiley:

Cheers!

As others have said, buy on condition and find out how the car was used. If it's a dealer, I wouldn't bother as they don't know, don't care or just lie.

If it helps you, our TCR is a May 2019 vehicle (from new). We're around the 17k mark but our mileage has dropped by 8k a year at least since COVID.

I had a black car once. It looked superb when washed but even when I used a blower to dry it, I could see atmospheric particles settling on the car before I'd even got round the whole vehicle. I had to leave death threats in the car to ensure the VW dealer 'valeter' didn't touch it after an incident where they washed the car in winter. Took me 6 hours to get the paint back. It really is unforgiving so if you have any OCD tendencies, I'd recommend avoiding a black car.
« Last Edit: 07 December 2021, 10:22 by AGB »
MK7 Clubsport S, 981 Cayman GT4, MK7.5 GTI TCR

Offline willni

• I live here
« Reply #6 on: 06 December 2021, 19:01 »
Pre-covid I was doing 18k miles a year, currently doing 7k whilst working from home. So that's a range of 21k - 54k miles.

Also buy on condition there's plenty of immaculate high milers and poorly kept low milers.

Mk7.5 GTI - Performance Pack, DSG, Sunroof, Dynaudio, Pro Nav, Vienna Leather, Climate Windscreen & last of the 3 doors....Many Sets of Alloys...

Prev - Mk7.5 White Silver, Vienna Leather, Sunroof, Helix Sub, Many Wheels

Follow my 7.5 build on the forum https://www.golfgtiforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=287596.msg2638666#new or on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/willy_gti7.5pp/

Offline Gnasher

• I live here
  • Formerly GnasherVXR
« Reply #7 on: 06 December 2021, 20:00 »
According to the latest MOT testing data, average mileage is around 7k per year at the moment, although obviously Covid did have an effect, but only to the tune of dropping it by 1k per year - definitely less than I expected though.
2014 Golf GTI (PP) in Pure White with
Vienna Leather, Keyless Entry, High Beam Assist, Park Assist, Rear View Camera. Milltek Exhaust, Eibach Sportlines, 19" BBS SR wheels - SOLD!!!!!

2018 Audi TTRS in Nardo Grey with
Black pack, 20" Alloys, Privacy glass and Sports Exhaust. No mods yet!

Offline Adam T7

• I live here
« Reply #8 on: 06 December 2021, 20:24 »
Used to do 18k+ pa in my LR Discoverys, just got my GTI first MOT today - 12.9k on the clock, life has changed somewhat. Still didn’t stop me having the DSG and Haldex LSD serviced though as well as the 3 year service.😂
« Last Edit: 06 December 2021, 20:28 by Adam T7 »
MY2019 GTI Mk 7.5 Performance. DSG, 5 Door, Rear Camera, Climate Windscreen and Rear Window Factory Tints, Indium Grey.

Offline joe6

• I live here
« Reply #9 on: 07 December 2021, 15:03 »
I am retired and we do about 5k a year in the 7.5 plus another 7k in mk6. Live in a village with no public transport so 10 - 12k is the norm overall. Condition and history are very important and a few extra miles should be balanced against this as said elsewhere on the thread. Get previous owner contact details from a dealer and check where registered on the MOT website as cars are being transported from all over the country. Would not want a seaside car!
Mk6 GTI Carbon Grey, 2010 Bluetooth and voice fitted, a few VCDS mods still a comfortable family car. Red Scirocco 2011 twin charger stage 1 - enjoyable drive now gone.  White 2016 Polo GTI (roller skate on steroids) replaced with an Indium Grey 2019 7.5 GTI PP.